Bills sign Emmanuel Sanders

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Breshad Perriman on a minimum deal. Your speed guy. A ton of other WR's that could be had on a year prove it deal if not getting what they hoped for - Galloway, Fuller, Samuel, JuJu, 

Diggs/Sanders/Beasley/Davis (Kumerow, Hodgins, Gentry, Williams fighting for a spot or two). 

Without getting into salary and cap numbers (which is impossible) I would really like Fuller and Galloway in a Bills uniform. 

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Without getting into salary and cap numbers (which is impossible) I would really like Fuller and Galloway in a Bills uniform. 

Have to think we're done at WR until the draft. 

Diggs - Beasley - Davis - Sanders - Hodgins - Draft pick with speed and KR/PR ability 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Have to think we're done at WR until the draft. 

Diggs - Beasley - Davis - Sanders - Hodgins - Draft pick with speed and KR/PR ability 

I think you are right. We have other needs that should take priority. Pass rusher, rb, and cb come to mind.

3 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Yeah we do all have eyes, a TV and a computer.. and you can scroll through this thread and look at all of the people who fail to use any of those tools and just throw out extraneous claims without anything to back them up. Just because you have these tools doesn’t mean you actually know how to use them and what you’re looking for...

You obviously haven’t used your eyes, TV or computer to find out that Sanders is an outstanding route runner. Of course route running isn’t unique to WR... that’s just way off base with what I said initially. Running very good routes IS unique to certain WR. Is Diggs not a better route runner than other WR in football because all other WR run routes too? I’m not sure what you’re trying to say... other than poke a hole in something while simultaneously failing to understand what you’re poking a hole in. 

You’re entitled to your opinion that he doesn’t move the needle because of his age (seems to be your main point)... I’m not disputing that. 

Samuel as an option for us flew out the window after Daryl Williams was signed... so I don’t understand why people keep bringing him up like we chose Sanders over Samuel. Of course Curtis Samuel is a good player... I never said anything to the contrary... but because he’s younger (doesn’t actually matter... people just think it makes you better because they’re less familiar... perceived upside, etc.) many would be much more excited for him than they are Sanders because Samuel was a buzz name this off-season. 

Samuel is the new shiny toy and Sanders has been around awhile so he’s less exciting. It doesn’t make him any less valuable... he’s outperformed Samuel since Samuel entered the league. Does Samuel have more upside... yeah... we’re not going for upside it’s a 1 year deal.... we’re focused on production right now and nothing suggests that Samuel as the #2/3 option here is a better fit for us than Sanders... other than the fact he’s younger... 

1. Thank you for confirming that I am entitled to my own opinion.

And to be clear again, that opinion is, Sanders is a quality veteran, he fills the spot that Brown left as the #3 WR.

But he's aging, and (we see this all the time) at the point in his career where he is bouncing from team to team on one year deals, that is a marker that he is at the end of the back-9. He played more than expected last year in New Orleans because Mike Thomas was hurt the entire year. 

2. Being younger actually does matter when it comes to the skill positions, in recent years your leading receivers are mid-20's:

Julio Jones (26) - 1,871 yards

Antonio Brown (26) - 1,698 yards

Stefon Diggs (27) - 1,535 yards

TY Hilton (27) - 1,448 yards

Mike Thomas (27) - 1,725 yards

Historically Speaking:

Randy Moss (27) - 1,632

Calvin Johnson (27) - 1,964 yards

TO (27) - 1,451 yards

Carter (30) - 1,371 yards

Andre Reed (25) - 1,312 yards

It's not to say that every athlete falls of a cliff after 30, Jerry Rice's best season was at 33 years old (1,848 yards). 

But give me a break, for most skill position players their best seasons come from 22 years old to 28 years old. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

But he's aging, and (we see this all the time) at the point in his career where he is bouncing from team to team on one year deals, that is a marker that he is at the end of the back-9. He played more than expected last year in New Orleans because Mike Thomas was hurt the entire year. 

Yes, he’s aging. The rest is not correct. 

He didn’t play more than expected for New Orleans... they signed him to a 2/$24M deal. I don’t know many teams dropping $12M AAV on a guy they don’t expect to play that much? He may have played a different role then expected but the amount he played wasn’t anywhere near unexpected for his salary. This is the first 1 year deal that Sanders has signed... ever...  he has not been bouncing around on 1 year deals up to this point. 

Also, why are you showing me league leading receivers? Sanders isn’t a #1 WR for us and never has been a #1 WR for anyone... that’s just a nonsensical illustration. You’re telling me that Emmanuel Sanders doesn’t move the needle as a #2/3 option because he’s getting older and older players aren’t leading receivers? It’s a good thing we’re not relying on him to be our leading receiver... 

I suppose we move on from Cole Beasley too because he’s going to be 32... forget that good season he had last year... he’s over 30... the likelihood that he leads the league in receiving is decreasing... we don’t want him! 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

He didn’t play more than expected for New Orleans... they signed him to a 2/$24M deal. I don’t know many teams dropping $12M AAV on a guy they don’t expect to play that much? He may have played a different role then expected but the amount he played wasn’t anywhere near unexpected for his salary. This is the first 1 year deal that Sanders has signed... ever...  he has not been bouncing around on 1 year deals up to this point. 

Also, why are you showing me league leading receivers? Sanders isn’t a #1 WR for us and never has been a #1 WR for anyone... that’s just a nonsensical illustration. You’re telling me that Emmanuel Sanders doesn’t move the needle as a #2/3 option because he’s getting older and older players aren’t leading receivers? It’s a good thing we’re not relying on him to be our leading receiver... 

I suppose we move on from Cole Beasley too because he’s going to be 32... forget that good season he had last year... he’s over 30... the likelihood that he leads the league in receiving is decreasing... we don’t want him! 

All I'm saying is he isn't going to give you the 1,404 yards he gave you when he was 27 in Denver. 

He's a #3 at this point, and all indications are he will give the Bills 600-900 yards this season. 

That's a #3 on this team. 

I don't get excited because Emmanuel Sanders is coming. He takes John Brown's spot, who doesn't really make a difference in the trajectory of any team he's on either.

#3 WRS don't add to Vegas win totals or change the betting lines on games. He's a rotational piece on this team. You're telling fans to get excited. I'm telling you I'm not excited. I don't think he is going to do much of note here. He's old, and his best seasons are behind him. He's had a nice career, he was a quality #2 WR for a couple of years. That's a long time ago now. 

35 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Also, I posted the leaders in yardage the last few years and their age, because you said age isn't really a factor and I disagree with that too. 

For most skill players their best years come earlier, not later, in their careers. 

Sanders is past his prime. Not useless, but it's a big signing 5 years ago, not now. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

44 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Classic embellishment to try and exaggerate your point and minimize my point. 

I said this quite clearly: he's a quality WR who will give you 600-900 yards in a #3 type role, but he's older, and a 1-year deal indicates the Bills think that as well. He's good for a specific role on the team this year. He's not some huge difference maker. 

9 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

All I'm saying is he isn't going to give you the 1,404 yards he gave you when he was 27 in Denver. 

He's a #3 at this point, and all indications are he will give the Bills 600-900 yards this season. 

That's a #3 on this team. 

I don't get excited because Emmanuel Sanders is coming. He takes John Brown's spot, who doesn't really make a difference in the trajectory of any team he's on either.

#3 WRS don't add to Vegas win totals or change the betting lines on games. He's a rotational piece on this team. You're telling fans to get excited. I'm telling you I'm not excited. I don't think he is going to do much of note here. He's old, and his best seasons are behind him. He's had a nice career, he was a quality #2 WR for a couple of years. That's a long time ago now. 

Also, I posted the leaders in yardage the last few years and their age, because you said age isn't really a factor and I disagree with that too. 

For most skill players their best years come earlier, not later, in their careers. 

Sanders is past his prime. Not useless, but it's a big signing 5 years ago, not now. 

Well what do you consider WR #2 numbers? Because I think you’re off there too... you named yardage and in terms of yardage the past 3 seasons he’s been a low end #1 and high end #2. #27, #33, #50 and that includes RB and TE. 

I’m not telling fans to do anything... where did I say to get excited or not to get excited? That’s just making things up... scroll back and give me an example. 

Nobody is saying the Sanders is having his career year here this year? I sure didn’t say that... so what does it actually matter how old he is or if he’s in his prime right now? It doesn’t matter... we’re not expecting him to have career year or be our leading receiver... why would you give me leaders for that? If you have me performance against age for all WR or something like that... that makes a good argument. Showing me the top WR in the league and saying “See they’re young and putting up 1500 yards” is disingenuous... nobody is expecting Sanders to put up 1500 yards or saying he’s in his prime. 

It’s just useless information.