Bills sign Emmanuel Sanders

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I still expect them to draft/sign speed.

Me too.  But I LOVE the vet presence in our WR room.  These guys are all gamers.  To think just a year ago, Beane was looking into ES as a #1a to smoke, before the Diggs trade...   Now he’s our #2.  Love it!

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I suspect he also will get on the field in more 10 personnel.   There really was no other player who could do what Beasley did for us.  Now we have Sanders that can.  Good for RZ, moving the sticks and redundancy in case of injury or just breathers.

It is more than I’d want to pay for what I expect to be a #4 WR, but it’s not crazy.  I also understand why they’d go this route rather than to just draft a rookie for it.  Sanders is way more of a sure thing.

Exactly. Look what happened in the playoffs with Beez and Davis banged up. Sanders would have been a blessing to have 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Allen has some nice weapons here and he is only getting better as a QB. I think the Bills offense will be better this year assuming no serious injuries. I would expect Beane to focus on D when its draft time. 2021 is going to be an exciting season no doubt.

• Like (+1) 1

Hopefully he still has some gas left in the tank, because this was a surprisingly high contract (more than a $6 million cap hit).

I figured they were going to eventually land John Brown's replacement for about half that cost, once the market started drying up.

This signing seems to be more about the Bills really wanting Emmanuel Sanders, rather than landing a bargain deal.

Sanders did always catch my eye back when he was playing for the Steelers, and later the Broncos.  But since he got traded to the 49ers and then signed with the Saints, I haven't noticed him making much impact.  

12 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

also .. since he is a cut casualty and not a end of contract free agent .. he will not count against compensatory picks.

I don’t think we’re getting a comp pick anyways. At best we’re probably looking at a 6th or 7th rounder and there’s no guarantee the NFL even goes that deep with comp picks next year. 

9 hours ago, DCofNC said:

There it is, in his 5th year he did something and it’s been 5 years since he’s broken 1000 yards.  

Now we have the Bills homers running in to show me that a 10 year vet outperformed a rookie who converted from RB to WR at the NFL level.  Oh nooo.  You have a speed guy who hasn’t put up jack in terms of YPC vs 2 guys who are just coming into their prime and comparing Fuller to him w Fuller out producing him in 11 games last year.. ohh super star status here.   I hate this board, the ratio of rational people to complete Beane homers is 1: 900

Feel free to leave at any time.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

What I noticed most in the highlights was that Brees’s arm strength is virtually non existent compared to Josh Allen’s  I guess we are officially spoiled when it comes to arm talent, jmo. 

1 hour ago, babulator said:

I'd ask you the same question. You're in full blown forum rage because were not all over the moon for Sanders.

I'm underwhelmed, you're in a frothy frenzy, we can agree to disagree. Maybe lay off the coffee in the AM.

Just don’t kick your dog and all is fine.   Lmao @ you being at a 9 level of rage over a productive vet on a 1 year deal whose gonna be in the wr3/4 slot 😂😂

Thanks for the chuckles you’ve provided. 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

This is impressive.  

He looks great!!!

And he's basically the #1 WR out there with Thomas being injured,  he'll have very favorable matchups here. 

This got me excited 

Agreed! But he better get used to some speed/velocity differences on those incoming passes...I suppose playing with Big Ben years ago will help in that regard, lol. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Hopefully he still has some gas left in the tank, because this was a surprisingly high contract (more than a $6 million cap hit).

I figured they were going to eventually land John Brown's replacement for about half that cost, once the market started drying up.

This signing seems to be more about the Bills really wanting Emmanuel Sanders, rather than landing a bargain deal.

Sanders did always catch my eye back when he was playing for the Steelers, and later the Broncos.  But since he got traded to the 49ers and then signed with the Saints, I haven't noticed him making much impact.  

Seems you're right - the plan all along was to get ES and cut Brown. I won't pretend to be a football scouting expert, so I would just say he must do something particularly well (that Brown didn't do) that Daboll wants to integrate into the offense.

I was also surprised to see the move considering our cap limitations, so they must really value him.

I really like this signing. 

Totally different player than John Brown. A more complete WR than Brown. Age is a concern but damn, the guy is still producing. He should be able to fill in and run a lot of the routes that Beasley runs as well as some of the routes that Diggs runs. He's great insurance for both. 

This probably means McKenzie isn't coming back?

Bring in Zach Ertz somehow and draft a speedy WR and I think we are set on offense. 

3 minutes ago, CheshireCT said:

Seems you're right - the plan all along was to get ES and cut Brown. I won't pretend to be a football scouting expert, so I would just say he must do something particularly well (that Brown didn't do) that Daboll wants to integrate into the offense.

I was also surprised to see the move considering our cap limitations, so they must really value him.

I think what he can do that Brown can't is completely mirror Diggs' route possibilities and playing style.  They can run the same plays/routes for each of them, letting them "mirror" the playbook to use either half of the field (or any depth) to run any route.  He's also able to play in the slot (something Smoke didn't seem to love doing) and he's a great run blocker.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CheshireCT said:

Sanders is simply a good and versatile player. It’s not really that complicated. They signed a good player to a one year deal and are just hoping this isn’t the year he massively declines. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, LEBills said:

Not who I was hoping for but he was actually pretty good with New Orleans last year. Including getting deep completions. And that’s with Brees really struggling to get the ball downfield.

This^^^^^. If you watch his highlight tape from last year, how many of Brees's passes did Sanders have to go dig down out of the dirt basically because it barely made it to him on intermediate routes? Just sayin'

He’s ok depth going into his 13th year.  Since he’s the 4th WR, it’s fine.  Only saved basically $2 mil. from Brown.  I haven’t seen the contract, but $6 mil for one year means it’s really $6 mil.  For the author on McKenzie, absolutely we need to sign him.  He’s not expensive and has value.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I think what he can do that Brown can't is completely mirror Diggs' route possibilities and playing style.  They can run the same plays/routes for each of them, letting them "mirror" the playbook to use either half of the field (or any depth) to run any route.  He's also able to play in the slot (something Smoke didn't seem to love doing) and he's a great run blocker.

Fun facts about Emmanuel Sanders:

He has played 11 seasons and only played on losing teams twice (the 2017 and 2018 Broncos). Teams he has played on have a collective record of 110-66 in the regular season and 8-5 in the postseason. He has played in three Super Bowls, and in the one that the Broncos beat McBeane's Panthers in, he had 6 catches for 83 yards. Indeed McDermott probably remembers that SB performance; Sanders accounted for over half of Denver's receiving yardage and 40 percent of Denver's total offensive yardage. He was also in position to have the potentially game-winning TD catch in the SF-KC Super Bowl last season (having beaten KC's deep coverage), but the throw was out of his reach. 

My takeaway: Sanders is a winner who is used to winning. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1