Bills sign Emmanuel Sanders

17 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

There it is, in his 5th year he did something and it’s been 5 years since he’s broken 1000 yards.  

Now we have the Bills homers running in to show me that a 10 year vet outperformed a rookie who converted from RB to WR at the NFL level.  Oh nooo.  You have a speed guy who hasn’t put up jack in terms of YPC vs 2 guys who are just coming into their prime and comparing Fuller to him w Fuller out producing him in 11 games last year.. ohh super star status here.   I hate this board, the ratio of rational people to complete Beane homers is 1: 900

I hate to be a Grammer Nazi, but Punctuation is a Useful Thing.  It can make any actual point you might have, clearer and therefore more persuasive.

Fuller had one of the top young QB in the league throwing to him

Sanders had Broken Drew Brees and Taysom Hill throwing to him. 

If you anyone  interested in actual performance cares to watch, Sanders was making a lot of tough catches...going low, jumping.  There's not a lot of YAC to be had there vs. a guy whose role is to get deep, get open, and catch the ball.

I personally don't think you'd know a rational person from a "Beane homer" if they stood you up, turned you around, and multiplied you by "i", but you can prove me to be mistaken: What was Sanders actual YPC last year and in 2019, and how do they actually compare with Fuller or whoever else you're on fire about?

1 minute ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

I wonder if Sanders is going to go back to wearing number 10 ..

He won't be wearing 17, that's sure

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Exactly. He’s a rental. 

Go add a guy in the 5th or 6th that gives you straight line speed and some plus special teams ability and see if he can develop into a route runner / speed option in the future - he won’t want for tutors around here. 

I kinda want to see what Hodges brings to the table. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, purple haze said:

McKenzie might be back yet.  Give it a minute.

Man, I hope they don't give it too many minutes, because that poor little guy is just killin' himself in the workouts when he's not "selling his meat"

48 inch box jumps, all kinds of lifting, slow down Lil Dirty 'fore you break something

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Better cost less than Smoke.

Or what? You’ll leave??🙏

4 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I’m sure he’s Cheap and he’s gonna be our 4th. Again not a bad addition. 

if anyone is upset with this then they are just looking for crap to be miserable about. Nothing earth shattering. Solid little signing. 

Yeah? AAAAAND??

3 hours ago, TheBillsOrDie said:

Why did we not just keep smoke

Children shouldn’t even be seen, let alone read.

10 minutes ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

I kinda want to see what Hodges brings to the table. 

Same, though I don’t know that he brings much as a vertical speed threat.

I expect them to draft someone in the late rounds just because they seem to realize that this team will live and die in the air - and they want Josh comfortable with as many pass catchers as possible. If you end up with too many, trade one. Never a bad problem to have. 

Some thoughts after watching recent highlights of Sanders.

John Brown has better hands and is just as fast.

Sanders seems like more ideal replacement for Beasley than Brown.  Ran a lot of similar Beasley slot routes in NO.  If Beasley gets hurt could fill in.

Hope the price is right for the Bills.

Do you think the Bills will offer Sanders jersey #17 to seal the deal?

• Eyeroll 1

MUCH tougher and MORE COMPLETE than John Brown. Everyone is so focused on timed speed, but the best WRs usually don't have the sub-4.4 40s. What they DO usually have is technique, body control, suddenness, aggressive hands, and tenacity. I'll take a fierce dude like Sanders as the #3 or #4 option. Let's go.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Jerry Rice was bringing it when he was 50 years old!  How old was Lofton when we got him?  Come on, man.  Dude's a professional football player.  I think Lofton was 33 or 34 when we got him.  

33.  And he could still run. Put up 1000+ yd season at 35 (with Reed and Thomas)

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Well statistically they have both out performed Sanders in virtually every way since they entered the league vs what he has done in the same time frame. - DCofNC

So now I’m the irrational fan for comparing Samuel and Fuller to Sanders since 2017... because I followed YOUR logic to illustrate YOUR point? 

Genius... you said that Fuller and Samuel outperformed Sanders in every major statistical category since they entered the league... you were just flat out wrong. It was false... you said something and expected nobody to check you on publicly available information? 

He hasn’t put up jack in terms of YPC... it looks the same as Samuel? So Samuel is a speed guy who hasn’t put up jack in terms of YPC then too? Fuller our produced him in 11 games... why didn’t he play 5 more? Maybe because he’s an actual injury prone player (playing ~50% of possible games in 4 years)? Oh yeah... that’s it. Nobody said Sanders is a superstar... I sure didn’t... but neither are Fuller or Samuel... that’s the point.

YOU made the claim that they outperformed him and failed to back it up. The burden of proof is on YOU... you failed to do prove that. It has nothing to do with being a homer, liking Beane, liking this signing and has everything to do with you making an irresponsible post and expecting people to just believe you. 

If you hate this board because you’re called out for ***** posts... sorry?? You’ve failed to contribute anything substantive in this thread... it doesn’t seem like you’re part of the solution in making this board better... so don’t gripe about anyone else other than yourself. 

Ok, here we go.  First of all Fuller got suspended, not injury, so try again and he out produced Sanders in 11 games.  Know your “public facts”. 

Sanders doesn’t hold a candle to Fuller in YPC or YPT, he’s fairly even with Samuel.  He offers zero in terms of the running ability that Samuel brings and he’s 9 years older.  The only argument you can make for signing him over either of them is Beane did it and I like him. You can argue that in 2020 he had Taysom Hill for a few games, but nobody is excited to claim Teddy Bridgewater as their guy either, so try again there.

Either way, he’ll probably have a good season here, he’s going to a pass happy offense as a number 2 with a TRUE 1 opposite him, and one of the best on the league throwing him the ball, so you can self validate at the end of the year.

12 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Sanders doesn’t hold a candle to Fuller in YPC or YPT, he’s fairly even with Samuel.  He offers zero in terms of the running ability that Samuel brings and he’s 9 years older.  The only argument you can make for signing him over either of them is Beane did it and I like him.

That's a weird comparison to make. Samuel and Fuller are each going to get at least double per year what we're giving Sanders. There was no chance of us signing a high end WR. We just needed someone that could replace John Brown and push Davis for the #2 spot. Sanders is the exact kind of value receiver we need. I predict he will be 3rd on the team in receiving yards for the year.

Edited by HappyDays

I just don’t see how he’s not perfect fit. He’s a less injury prone John Brown. Has history with Beasley. And a top-4 group of Diggs, Beasley Sanders & Davis is REALLY nice. Plus they’ll also bring up Hodgins who adds a completely different element, as well as possibly another tight end (Ertz), this offense could be just as good in 2021.

Sanders turns 34 tomorrow. He's not going to be running fly routes right by people. But this 1 year deal will probably end in 5-6 tds and some good mentorship for Davis and Hodgins. Not a terrible signing and as others have said I agree we'll draft a speed guy late.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

Definitely telling what the Bills thought of Smoke and what they prioritize in the offense. Need guys that can play tough and get open quickly in the short and intermediate range.

Pure speed can be had on the cheap. There are always burners available late in the draft. Smoke was what, a sixth round pick, and was productive right away. 

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Ok, here we go.  First of all Fuller got suspended, not injury, so try again and he out produced Sanders in 11 games.  Know your “public facts”. 

Sanders doesn’t hold a candle to Fuller in YPC or YPT, he’s fairly even with Samuel.  He offers zero in terms of the running ability that Samuel brings and he’s 9 years older.  The only argument you can make for signing him over either of them is Beane did it and I like him. You can argue that in 2020 he had Taysom Hill for a few games, but nobody is excited to claim Teddy Bridgewater as their guy either, so try again there.

Either way, he’ll probably have a good season here, he’s going to a pass happy offense as a number 2 with a TRUE 1 opposite him, and one of the best on the league throwing him the ball, so you can self validate at the end of the year.

Yes, Fuller was suspended this year. I was talking about why he’s never played a full season once in his 4 year career and played only about 50% of possible games. 

Maybe because he’s an actual injury prone player (playing ~50% of possible games in 4 years)?

You’re changing your argument and introducing things that I never said. I never said anything about Taysom Hill and never said anything about Teddy Bridgewater... so I’m not sure why I’d need to try again? Never mentioned either of them once.

There are plenty of arguments to be made for liking the Sanders signing or disliking the Sanders signing... but I didn’t make any argument for liking it or disliking it. Not one single argument for either side.

All I did was read your baseless claim... look up the information for Sanders, Fuller and Samuel and show you that your claim was in fact baseless. I myself did not make a claim, I fact checked your claim and showed you that your statement was wrong. You brought up major statistical categories and I showed you pretty important stats like yards, catches, touchdowns, YPC, and games played where Sanders was as good as or better than Samuel and Fuller in most of those categories since Samuel and Fuller came into the league. That was YOUR claim. 

I haven’t done anything other than provide evidence disproving your claim. There’s no record of me on this message board stating my feelings about the Sanders signing... the only thing I’ve produced related to Emmanuel Sanders is statistics to prove your claim regarding Fuller, Samuel and Sanders was a bold faced lie.

EDIT: 

I will make a note that my ~50% number of possible games played was incorrect. I was going off of memory and thought it was 35/64 games but it’s actually 39/64 games which is 60% of possible games in 4 years. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

LOL

That is all

You can’t compare Sanders to Fuller. You buy Fuller if you expect him to be your guy catching 1000 yards as a 1B option and to be here for 5 years. The Bills expect Gabe Davis to be that guy and expect Gabe and Cole to be both 800-1000 yard guys. We didn’t need to float that kind of $ to a guy long term when we had Davis. If they didn’t have Davis they probably would have gone after Samuel who had more potential to play inside outside and might fill Cole’s future role. Fuller was never going to be their guy. 

3 hours ago, ngbills said:

Well there you have it. Wish I was wrong. Decent amount of money to spend and would rather overpay for a bigger need like TE or DL. 

Nice call and analysis. Props to you !  Any investment advice? 😀😊. Henceforth in 2021 I will think of you as Swami ngbills! Nice to see guys on here who know their stuff!