Bills sign Emmanuel Sanders

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Apparently we think Sanders is a better WR for us to take the next step.

Brown is a great guy - even keel, hard working, fast, gamer - tries to play through injuries.  He's a very polished route runner and when healthy can separate if the coverage isn't too physical.  He got completely erased in a number of games last season, and both 2019 and 2020 when it was on the line he missed some receptions he could have had. 

Even healthy, the writing seemed clear that physical CB play can take him out, especially if the zebras keep the laundry in their pockets

Just a comment that I think when the dust settles, some of these 1 yr deals will be structured as 2 year deals to take some off the cap.  Wouldn't surprise me.

I hope so!

35 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

This is exactly what I think.  The last couple of seasons when I've seen Sanders, I've been impressed by how savvy he is.  He's the kind of guy a QB can rely to run the route he's supposed to run, to find the seem, to make the smart improvised route decision.  

He can still get deep, but not with the blazing speed he showed earlier in his career.  I think he's a little less flashy than Brown, but a better route runner - a dependable guy.  

Like others, I still would like to see some true deep speed added to the roster.  

Sounds like you just described both Beasley and Diggs.

This group is gonna kill it!

1 minute ago, Jpsredemption said:

This years head scratcher like Norman last year. I just don’t get why you’d use these kind of resources on a 34 year old role player 

Because you don’t know enough about sanders.  👍🏻

• Thank you (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Wasn’t brown set to make over 9million? I’d say 3 million in savings in a down cap year is significant. Plus Sanders may be better and healthier. 

Good points.  Brown was 8 mil.  Brown was listed as 48 th best FA available while sanders was listed as 86 th best available.  Analyst said might be a red flag or concerning that Saints were willing to let him go after just signing him. Plus side, he does have playoff and super bowl experience.   Something to be said for making him the 3 rd wr option, but most don’t see him as a legit two now. I am not making a case for brown or sanders as I actually hoped we went after Samuels, Ertz, or someone more of a threat, so don’t come after me. Just pointing out perceived values by others. It does raise question why they couldn’t have asked Brown to get down to 6 mil but chose to not negotiate at all. Really means they were quite disappointed with his playoff performance x2 or injury is a big issue. 

Maybe we use extra pick fro lee to Atlanta to help acquire Ertz!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

This years head scratcher like Norman last year. I just don’t get why you’d use these kind of resources on a 34 year old role player 

He was better Wr last year than brown.  Sanders can do some of things Diggs did underneath last.  Diggs can be used as the deep threat he is more often.  Brown got bodied at the line.  Sanders is still slippery underneath.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Going into his 13th season, not in his prime anymore but can definitely be productive.

If anything, he's another good redzone threat & can provide some valuable experience & leadership to the WR corps.

Still think we need someone to replace the sheer speed of John Brown, but love the signing.

• Like (+1) 1

I  like the move.  Sanders has been good for a long time.  He has good hands and is reliable.  I loved Smoke...but there were games he disappeared and was under contract for a lot more than Sanders.  I trust Beane.   He has  a plan and is methodical.  Nothing knee-jerk.  

• Like (+1) 1

Side Note: Can we just build that damn dome already? Seeing this QB throw to this group of WR's would be even more amazing if Josh didn't have to face the conditions so often. He can just sling it like no other indoors. 

Next step in FA, sign the DOME!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Going into his 13th season, not in his prime anymore but can definitely be productive.

If anything, he's another good redzone threat & can provide some valuable experience & leadership to the WR corps.

Still think we need someone to replace the sheer speed of John Brown, but love the signing.

Check out his highlights.  A pile of red zone TDs.  Knows how to get separation without much room to work. 

35 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

He’s not as good as brown, but he’s an nfl starter on the outside and we needed one.

The stats say otherwise. Sanders has better numbers for most of his career which is why I call even. Truth is they both lost a step from their prime.

Brown had only 2 seasons over 1,000 yds and 2 over 60 REC.  

Sanders has 3 over 1k and  7 seasons over 60 REC.  That's a lot more production.

10 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

1096568585_ScreenShot2021-03-16at9_41_16PM.thumb.png.57981340498a191eef0a7b9042a7bb9a.png

John Brown stats

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 9.46.20 PM.png

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

The stats say otherwise. Sanders has better numbers for most of his career which is why I call even. Truth is they both lost a step from their prime. I like Brown, but I don't think this is a downgrade.

John Brown stats

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 9.46.20 PM.png

having watched 100% of sanders snaps last year, I’m comfortable with my assessment 

sanders peak was excellent. Brown is still much closer to his ceiling though.

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

having watched 100% of sanders snaps last year, I’m comfortable with my assessment 

sanders peak was excellent. Brown is still much closer to his ceiling though.

Sanders also had Taysom Hill throwing to him and a watered down, injured and about to retire Brees. I think a Sanders will have a good year and open up things for Beas and Diggs.  I do agree on watching his snaps this year. I had Sanders on my fantasy team and he disappointed. I never started him.

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Well, we played in a championship game and didn’t have a single healthy WR. We need like 2 more.

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

I think this will be more $ than people think. This FO wanted him last year. They tend to have their favorites and go after them. I am betting $5-6M+ per. Fits a need though, but not my first choice. Now DE, TE, DT, CB...

Well there you have it. Wish I was wrong. Decent amount of money to spend and would rather overpay for a bigger need like TE or DL. 

• Thank you (+1) 1