Bills sign Emmanuel Sanders

Not who I was hoping for but he was actually pretty good with New Orleans last year. Including getting deep completions. And that’s with Brees really struggling to get the ball downfield.

Edited by LEBills
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Hmmm one year 6 mil deal.  Not much savings over brown.   Guess they felt Brown was truly done.  A little surprised at the cost. 

Wasn’t brown set to make over 9million? I’d say 3 million in savings in a down cap year is significant. Plus Sanders may be better and healthier. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Ooh I really like this signing. Sanders is a great route runner which is the trait I prioritize above all others. Really good hands too. We needed a veteran option to make sure Davis isn't just handed the #2 spot. Speed still needs to be added in the draft but you could do a lot worse than Sanders.

This is exactly what I think.  The last couple of seasons when I've seen Sanders, I've been impressed by how savvy he is.  He's the kind of guy a QB can rely to run the route he's supposed to run, to find the seem, to make the smart improvised route decision.  

He can still get deep, but not with the blazing speed he showed earlier in his career.  I think he's a little less flashy than Brown, but a better route runner - a dependable guy.  

Like others, I still would like to see some true deep speed added to the roster.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, FluffHead said:

There were a lot of options out there and we settle on him?

need speed and I’m not sure he has it anymore. 

He'll put any current DB on skates with his route running ability.  This is the same guy who got behind the KC defense 2 years ago, only Jimmy G couldn't put the ball on him. 

He may not be the fastest, but he's plenty fast enough. 

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wasn’t Brown 8 mill?

Yes. If I were a betting man, which I am not, I would have bet that Beane asked Smoke to cut his salary by 2 million (same as Butler and Addison & 1 million less than Morse) and he balked. So they got a receiver they could fit in the 6 million dollar window). However, when you include his dead cap hit between that and the salary for Sanders it is almost dead even. Somewhere John Brown is saying "like a family my backside". In the end it is a business and Beane must think that much of Sanders to basically break even.

Just now, Shaw66 said:

This is exactly what I think.  The last couple of seasons when I've seen Sanders, I've been impressed by how savvy he is.  He's the kind of guy a QB can rely to run the route he's supposed to run, to find the seem, to make the smart improvised route decision.  

This is exactly right. Diggs and Beasley are the same. For what it's worth I never felt that way about John Brown. I think Sanders is an upgrade on Brown and cheaper too.

2 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

The way I see it.. Even if Sanders isn’t what he once was, he will still be an excellent #4 WR. Let’s say Davis is lights out, Sanders can get you 45-60 catches. That’s a BIG upgrade over Isaiah McKenzie.

Of course he is.  He brings a wrinkle to the game that John Brown didn't have.

He also can field a punt and a kickoff if needed to in an emergency.

He was loved by the team and the fans here in Colorado I'm sure he will fit in nicely.

1 minute ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Yes. If I were a betting man, which I am not, I would have bet that Beane asked Smoke to cut his salary by 2 million (same as Butler and Addison & 1 million less than Morse) and he balked. So they got a receiver they could fit in the 6 million dollar window). However, when you include his dead cap hit between that and the salary for Sanders it is almost dead even. Somewhere John Brown is saying "like a family my backside". In the end it is a business and Beane must think that much of Sanders to basically break even.

For as good as Brown is, I trust Sanders to be healthy and make plays when needed in a big game, more than I do Brown.