Bills sign P Matt Haack

Process

2 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I dislike Bojo more than the next guy (I made a thread in 2018 saying we should cut him), but I can't say I'm thrilled with this move. Bojo was pretty good last year. Why suffer through 2 years of bad/inconsistent punter play only to not re-sign the guy after he had a great 3rd season? 

Bojo seemed to eliminate some of the really bad mistakes that plagued him his first few years (shanks, dropped snaps, bad holds).

That said, he still outkicks his coverage, and gets way too many TB’s. Not great really at directional and touch stuff. He will kick a few boomers, but I would put him in the middle of the league in terms of punters. 

6 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Bojo seemed to eliminate some of the really bad mistakes that plagued him his first few years (shanks, dropped snaps, bad holds).

That said, he still outkicks his coverage, and gets way too many TB’s. Not great really at directional and touch stuff. He will kick a few boomers, but I would put him in the middle of the league in terms of punters. 

Bojo has a great leg but isn't very good at the technical skills that punting requires...

Pinning teams inside the 20, kicking out of bounds, knowing when to boom one and when to hang one up high, etc...

He is the football version of the hitter who hits lots of HRs but is a liability in the field and has a .215 average with 250 Ks a year and can't run.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

No one loves punters like Bills fans!

I actually would be sad to lose bojo. Second most improved player on the team. He was so bad 2 years ago and awesome last year, 

Speaking of love

I hope he wears #8.....20,000 Moorman jerseys can come off the hangers and receive a good duct taping ;)

Edited by JMF2006

aside from cap discipline, i think the idea here is it opens the fake punt some w his athleticism, and gives us better results from mid field to pin the enemy back.

given how little we punted, it does make sense to save money there.

also, we kept mattlewitch, so i think our FO really likes our coverage team, a guy w a bit more accuracy and hang time vs howitzer leg might suit us better.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Bojo has a great leg but isn't very good at the technical skills that punting requires...

Pinning teams inside the 20, kicking out of bounds, knowing when to boom one and when to hang one up high, etc...

He is the football version of the hitter who hits lots of HRs but is a liability in the field and has a .215 average with 250 Ks a year and can't run.

I’d liken him to Josh his first two seasons.  Too much power/not enough finesse. 

14 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Will see not totally sure he won't still sign if he finds out what he thinks he;s worth is much less than the rest of the NFL thinks.

Having said that, you wonder too if the other concern was his poor techniques on holding for placekicks.  Recall more than once both on kicks made and some of the misses, the laces were facing the wrong way.  Might have been even with all the work during  the season, he just never seemed to get it or care about it enough for their liking.  They felt $2 mil was too much to pay for him??

Missing a field goal or two due to a bad hold is probably worse overall than losing a couple yards on net punt average.  If the defense can't hold them the 2 yards rarely will make a difference, but 3 points can make the difference in a game.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Dumb. So, so dumb. He had a decent season. But he played his hand too hard and now I don't really feel sorry for him anymore.

Same. If you don't want to be here, 👋

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

RIP Bojo. That coffin corner punt against the Dolphins that went out at the one inch line was probably the best I've ever seen. I don't agree with this, but they know better than I do.

Remember the return of Moorman his final year, one of his first punts was a bomb that rolled OB inside the 1.

Crowd went nuts, good moment 

8 hours ago, junior12thman92 said:

Some more info on why we signed Haack vs. re-signing Bojo:

Haack's contract is "up" on Spotrac.  Says $1.575M cap hit this season.  Salary $1.2M

Looks like essentially his signing bonus, this year's salary, and most of next year's salary are guaranteed ($1.05M signing bonus, $3.25M guaranteed)

Basically far less $$ than putting even the least expensive "tender" on Bojo, and Haack seems competent and a downgrade on average punt distance, but maybe an upgrade as far as directionality and pinning the punt inside the 20 vs touchbacks.

In a tight cap year, if we plan to have a good offense and not punt too much, this makes sense.

Not concerned much with it being the P position, but seemed like Bojo was kinda hitting his stride and getting better and better. And some of those kicks were very impressive. Very strong leg. Anyway, long as the new guy doesn't shank a lot of kicks, a punter is a punter I guess. Not much difference between them all in the long run I guess.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

On 3/16/2021 at 6:02 PM, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Runs a 4.57 

Same birthday as me

Last name is pronounced Hawk

Im game

That’s like saying your name is Smith and spelling it Jamoski...

• Haha (+1) 1