Efe Obada : One DE FA to keep an eye out for Edit: Signed

Another Panther - Heads will explode on this Board

I don't have as much problem with it as some, especially at the start where they had to somehow persuade FA to sign for a team that had a 17 year playoff drought - but we are getting to the point where jokes about agents Photoshopping their FA clients into Panthers gear and faxing that to the Bills FO might have some element of truth

On 3/16/2021 at 3:21 PM, IgotBILLStopay said:

So Obada came into the NFL on the International Pathway Program (like Christian Wade) and so far, has been the only one of those players to make it to an active roster.

He played last two seasons for Carolina - so Beane is likely familiar with him. The Carolina connection makes him pretty much automatically a Beane consideration.

He is versatile and can line up inside or outside.

He had 5.5 sacks last year despite only starting 1 game and playing less than 40% of the snaps. FWIW, that sack number would have led the Bills last year.

I guess as of now he is a rotational guy but still only 28 and maybe ready to make a 3rd year leap.

I watched his tape and he appears decent at everything that a defensive lineman should do - except I thought he looked a little stuff. He may be the kind of bargain priced signing Beane can pull off.

Edit: Signed 3/24. Yay!!

Good call, dude!

6 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

FWIW, this was one of the videos that sold me on Obada.

https://www.panthers.com/video/highlight-efe-obada-sacks-tom-brady

It's a solid play for him but the main thing I noticed was how Brady was able to pull the ball down in mid-windup and not fumble as he's getting sacked. Even if he had fumbled in that manner they would've said, "No, no fumble! Tommy tuck rule!!"

This link has a video of  Obada going against a familiar Tackle - Cordy Glenn

https://www.panthers.com/news/film-review-with-eric-washington-week-3

8 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Good call, dude!

It's a solid play for him but the main thing I noticed was how Brady was able to pull the ball down in mid-windup and not fumble as he's getting sacked. Even if he had fumbled in that manner they would've said, "No, no fumble! Tommy tuck rule!!"

I noticed that too! Maybe Brady thought - I better keep it safe - no Belichick / Kraft protection anymore.

The more you read about him / watch his fiim, the more you will fall in love with this signing. That is what happened on my deep dive. halfway into it i'm like - wait a minute - this guy is pretty good! I did think his early tape shows that he was a little stiff football wise  - but he has improved every year - and that freakish athleticism shines through. I found no weakness at all - which was a surprise to me.

3 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

The more you read about him / watch his fiim, the more you will fall in love with this signing. That is what happened on my deep dive. halfway into it i'm like - wait a minute - this guy is pretty good! I did think his early tape shows that he was a little stiff football wise  - but he has improved every year - and that freakish athleticism shines through. I found no weakness at all - which was a surprise to me.

Yeah, I agree. It makes me wish it was more than a 1 year deal.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

😂😂 kinda takes away from the greatness if you have to pat yourself on the back. 

Kinda makes you sound like a hater considering you didn't bump the thread.

I wouldn't have known that he was eyeing Obada had he not.

• Shocked 1

16 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I agree with the stiff thing. Still think is there a bit. He moves a bit like a taught football player rather than a natural football player which isn't a huge surprise. But he makes plays. He definitely has rare athleticism. I think he will make the roster and he will bring something to this team. 

From what i heard Tasker & Browny say about him he started football at the age of 22 so he's not had a lot of wear on his body like others that have been playing since middle school and they feel could be just hitting his stride and have quite a few really good years ahead of him .

I would think they way Beane see's football players that he has the inside track on this guy & has made yet another good move for the Bills . What the D line has been missing is pressure up front & this guy could give the opposition a guy to pay attention to as to open up room for Hughes & Oliver to flourish in the pass rush .

I'd bet on Beane's insight on this guy & McD to coach him up along with the culture & the other team mates like a Hughes will do to teach & push him to be the best he can be just another piece to the Bills winning puzzle !!