Efe Obada : One DE FA to keep an eye out for Edit: Signed

So Obada came into the NFL on the International Pathway Program (like Christian Wade) and so far, has been the only one of those players to make it to an active roster.

He played last two seasons for Carolina - so Beane is likely familiar with him. The Carolina connection makes him pretty much automatically a Beane consideration.

He is versatile and can line up inside or outside.

He had 5.5 sacks last year despite only starting 1 game and playing less than 40% of the snaps. FWIW, that sack number would have led the Bills last year.

I guess as of now he is a rotational guy but still only 28 and maybe ready to make a 3rd year leap.

I watched his tape and he appears decent at everything that a defensive lineman should do - except I thought he looked a little stuff. He may be the kind of bargain priced signing Beane can pull off.

Edit: Signed 3/24. Yay!!

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

So Obada came into the NFL on the International Pathway Program (like Christian Wade) and so far, has been the only one of those players to make it to an active roster.

He played last two seasons for Carolina - so Beane is likely familiar with him. The Carolina connection makes him pretty much automatically a Beane consideration.

He had 5.5 sacks last year despite only starting 1 game and playing less than 40% of the snaps. FWIW, that sack number would have led the Bills last year.

I guess as of now he is a rotational guy but still only 28 and maybe ready to make a 3rd year leap.

I watched his tape and he appears decent at everything that a defensive lineman should do - except I thought he looked a little stuff. He may be the kind of bargain priced signing Beane can pull off.

Beane has been here the last three seasons. His familiarity with him is the same as pretty much every player in the league on other teams

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Beane has been here the last three seasons. His familiarity with him is the same as pretty much every player in the league on other teams

Coach Washington will be pretty familiar with him. Not the same thing. But Beane will probably ask for his input.

• Like (+1) 1

Efe is a guy anyone with a heart should be pulling for. His backstory is pretty amazing.

As a player he has flashed, winning defensive player of the week and having impressive games. He's never been able to put it together across a season but if you can get him close to the minimum he could be really helpful. Rushed from the inside and outside last year in Carolina.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Efe is a guy anyone with a heart should be pulling for. His backstory is pretty amazing.

As a player he has flashed, winning defensive player of the week and having impressive games. He's never been able to put it together across a season but if you can get him close to the minimum he could be really helpful. Rushed from the inside and outside last year in Carolina.

did you say Carolina!!!  sure we didn't sign him yet  🤪

Edited by RyanC883
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I'm wondering if at this point the Bills are still looking for D line help?  They have 8 players under contract who significantly contributed last year to playing time plus Star so that totals nine.  That's the number of players the team kept active each week so to sign someone now means likely cutting someone.  Of the nine, five are on cheap first contracts Star would cost $$ to cut and two others Addison and Butler just redid their contracts.  To me once the 3 re did the contracts, reduces the likelihood of another signing.  I could see a draft pick replacing Zimmer or Johnson as a cheap way to go.

Personally I think the line needs help, but should have got the help first and then cut Addision as wouldn't have been nearly as much of a cap increase.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Out of the 9 I'd argue that only 2 of them are any good.... so if they are done then you really have to wonder about their judgement in that regard. 

I agree with you in that not many great players, but unless somehow the Bills are going to figure out how to replace a Zimmer, Phillips, or Johnson with  a $10 mil player and stay under the cap, seems like they are throwing money away.  They aren't going to let Oliver or Epinesa go and 3 more have contracts hard to walk away from without taking a hit so who's left?  Hughes?

25 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I'm wondering if at this point the Bills are still looking for D line help?  They have 8 players under contract who significantly contributed last year to playing time plus Star so that totals nine.  That's the number of players the team kept active each week so to sign someone now means likely cutting someone.  Of the nine, five are on cheap first contracts Star would cost $$ to cut and two others Addison and Butler just redid their contracts.  To me once the 3 re did the contracts, reduces the likelihood of another signing.  I could see a draft pick replacing Zimmer or Johnson as a cheap way to go.

Personally I think the line needs help, but should have got the help first and then cut Addision as wouldn't have been nearly as much of a cap increase.

You are going to typically have 9 Dlinemen on the 53-man roster and at least 13 on the 90-man roster, no? Hughes, Epenesa, Addison, Oliver, Phillips, Star make it 6 locks - The other 3 will come from Butler, Zimmer, Johnson, Love, Bryant and Cox, as of now. Clearly room for more camp bodies no?

1 minute ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

You are going to typically have 9 Dlinemen on the 53-man roster and at least 13 on the 90-man roster, no? Hughes, Epenesa, Addison, Oliver, Phillips, Star make it 6 locks - The other 3 will come from Butler, Zimmer, Johnson, Love, Bryant and Cox, as of now. Clearly room for more camp bodies no?

Agree with camp bodies, but big $$ FA??

16 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Out of the 9 I'd argue that only 2 of them are any good.... so if they are done then you really have to wonder about their judgement in that regard. 

Right on que, it really is amazing...

• IgotBILLStopay changed the title to Efe Obada : One DE FA to keep an eye out for Edit: Signed
7 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

😂😂 kinda takes away from the greatness if you have to pat yourself on the back. 

Hey you take what you can claim! but i was no doubt tickled that the deep dive beyond the top FAs at the position (due to our cap situation) unearthed this potential nugget.

We do that with every FA and 90% of them dont work out but every once in a while somebody on this board is able to guess what the front office is gonna do.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1