Bills FA Strategy - Bargain Hunting

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, it had to happen.  Just hope we didn’t pay too much.  I’m assuming it’s a one year deal.  I hope we sign several one year deals

Looks like we did if it’s 6 mil.  Way too much for a 33 year old #2/3 WR IMO.  

15 hours ago, NewEra said:

Could be right.  If that’s the case, I just hope we don’t spend 8-10M on the next Mario Addison, Star or Trent murphy.   It’s ok to get the 2nd tier guys.....as long as they don’t suck.  We have to get production from them.  It worked great with Hyde and Poyer a few years ago (although they didn’t wait to sign them, they just didn’t pay a lot).

if we don’t add a Houston, Dunlap, Reddick, Clowney or Kerrigan, I’ll be worried that we didn’t do enough to address the pass rush.

if we go spend some money or rd 1-2 draft pick on a corner, I’ll be happy though.  Levi should go and be replaced with an athlete that can hit, run and be physical.  I truly feel that he was a big part of our problem on d.  Not because  he can’t play zone.....but because he can’t play man.  We need to have the ability to be versatile on both sides of the ball.  Last year we were completely one dimensional in both sides of the ball.....and that’s why we got blown out in the AFCCG imo.

I agree totally with you. 

I don't think it's panic mode just yet but we need not just a situational pass rusher but a guy who can take this defense over the top. Clowney to me is the only guy left with that ability, whether he uses it or not is beyond anyone but worth taking a 1 year flier imo. We also need a legit corner across from White, these are some pretty tough areas of need to fill. I believe in Beane but players are definitely dwindiling down especially at CB 2. I like Brashaud Breeland, Xavier Rhodes and Malcolm Butler.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I agree totally with you. 

I don't think it's panic mode just yet but we need not just a situational pass rusher but a guy who can take this defense over the top. Clowney to me is the only guy left with that ability, whether he uses it or not is beyond anyone but worth taking a 1 year flier imo. We also need a legit corner across from White, these are some pretty tough areas of need to fill. I believe in Beane but players are definitely dwindiling down especially at CB 2. I like Brashaud Breeland, Xavier Rhodes and Malcolm Butler.

I think Justin Houston and Carlos Dunlap can make a difference.  Both older, but but are better pass rushers than Clowney imo. I’ll take Hassan Reddick too.  Not sure where to play him.....but id leave that up to McD and Frazier.  Let him get after the qb.

if we snag a pass rusher, I don’t think we’d add one of those corners you mentioned unless they signed for cheap.  There are solid options in the draft and expect one to be taken in rd 1-3

18 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Overpaid or not, NE has added considerable talent in all the areas needed to exploit our soft run D and TE coverage, to go along with our weak push rush. Let's hope our bargain signings can keep pace . 

Excellent points,  they added play makers and talent to both sides of the ball.  I would not be surprised at all to see them on top of the division again,  while a may hate them I give them full credit for the moves they made. Even one of those two TE'S is better than anyone we have

19 hours ago, nucci said:

Why do you say this? Teams seem to be able to sign who they want? Most likely this years cap number is small then increasing next season. I guess it's ok when Bills sign players to big contracts but not other teams?

That's always been the catechism here...

22 hours ago, nucci said:

Yet teams seem to find ways around the cap every year

I can only think of 4 teams that’s been good for a long time (Pats, Packers, Saints, Hawks) and that’s because of the QB. Cap destroyed the Hawks and Saints eventually.  Stand by for the Chiefs and Tampa to implode in 2 years.  

2 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

I can only think of 4 teams that’s been good for a long time (Pats, Packers, Saints, Hawks) and that’s because of the QB. Cap destroyed the Hawks and Saints eventually.  Stand by for the Chiefs and Tampa to implode in 2 years.  

Haven't all 4 teams won a SuperBowl?  Isn't that the goal? I wouldn't care at all if the Bills had cap issues after a SuperBowl win

1 minute ago, nucci said:

Haven't all 4 teams won a SuperBowl?  Isn't that the goal? I wouldn't care at all if the Bills had cap issues after a SuperBowl win

Beane said the goal is sustained success. You wouldn’t care, but management would. You are inpatient and short sided, Beane is not! 

6 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Beane said the goal is sustained success. You wouldn’t care, but management would. You are inpatient and short sided, Beane is not! 

So, we're just going to be good but not win a Superbowl? What do you mean I wouldn't care? The goal should be to win a Championship

Edited by nucci