Bills FA Strategy - Bargain Hunting

Just now, RyanC883 said:

come on, Duke Williams! I kid.  

I think we draft a WR for depth.  Would like an established outside guy.  

I’m fine if we invest a 1st-3rd pick on WR and sign a cheaper FA.  Preferably not a guy that can only play the slot.

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m fine if we invest a 1st-3rd pick on WR and sign a cheaper FA.  Preferably not a guy that can only play the slot.

I could understand an argument that a 1, 2 or 3 pick could be used on a WR.  Yet, I could see an argument for DE, CB, OL (backupOT/Possible starting OG), TE, etc.  I think this year especially they will want to go with their BPA at each of the first 3 picks.  Picking very late in the rounds, it would be prudent not to reach to fill any needs.

38 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Which is why he got a $2.5M deal with only $1M guaranteed. Worth the risk as a #3/#4 speed receiver. You can give it a year or even cut bait sooner and does not cost much. 

Understand, thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I could understand an argument that a 1, 2 or 3 pick could be used on a WR.  Yet, I could see an argument for DE, CB, OL (backupOT/Possible starting OG), TE, etc.  I think this year especially they will want to go with their BPA at each of the first 3 picks.  Picking very late in the rounds, it would be prudent not to reach to fill any needs.

Understand, thanks.

For sure.  I’ve spent some time scouting this wr group and there are several guys that I’d be interested in in each of the top 3 rds. Maybe they all get snatched before their respective round of value, but I think there will be someone available worthy of being at least close to BPA.  

48 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

I was really expecting Beane to pull something out of his ass. I mean there’s definitely still time for something big to happen but I’m starting to get a little antsy

There is still a ton of players not signed and more getting cut every hour.

Beane is patient.

We are not.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I think Beane knew a lot of players will be released before FA officially opens tomorrow.  Wait and let a reasonable priced veteran fall to you at a position of need.  

Edited by Mark92
Spelling error
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I'm more worried about Thuney to Chiefs and Dupree to Titans. That's 2 of the top teams in the AFC signing 2 of the best FAs. 

Spotrac says the Bills have 10 mm in estimated cap space (although I don't see Feliciano on there). With available cap space we could barely afford a WR2 let alone the rest of what OP was hoping we'd sign. Beane's "splash" was keeping Milano, Williams, and Feliciano. 

6 million of that has to pay for draft picks.  Not sure when you checked but Matekevich reworked his deal since Feliciano signed

4 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I'm more worried about Thuney to Chiefs and Dupree to Titans. That's 2 of the top teams in the AFC signing 2 of the best FAs. 

Spotrac says the Bills have 10 mm in estimated cap space (although I don't see Feliciano on there). With available cap space we could barely afford a WR2 let alone the rest of what OP was hoping we'd sign. Beane's "splash" was keeping Milano, Williams, and Feliciano. 

Agree on the Chiefs, but don't be worried about the Titans. Dupree is an upgrade for them at edge rusher, but he's a solid, try hard player rather than an elite one. Autry was a sneaky good move by them as well.

But they've lost Jonnu Smith and Corey Davis already. Adam Humphries, Kalif Raymond, Malcolm Butler, Jadeveon Clowney, DaQuan Jones, Desmond King, and Jayon Brown are all UFAs hitting the market and they've released Dennis Kelly, Adoree Jackson, and Kenny Vaccaro already. They have limited cap space and have proven to be pretty brutal at drafting in recent years. 

Their defense was awful last year and is probably less talented as it stands given the additions/subtractions and now their offense is literally either Derrick Henry or AJ Brown. They need to make some serious moves and hit on their top picks to make the playoffs in 2021 IMO.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

One of my favorite bargain options, FA WR John Ross, just signed with the Giants for $1M guaranteed. Darn it.

On the positive side, it just might start a trend of reasonable prices.  Could start showing J Brown that he needs to seriously reduce his expectations.  Would like to have J Brown come back and get another youngster to develop.

8 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I like this kid a lot, maybe round 3 but would hope 5.

https://youtu.be/T4hxASGk6RA

That’s one of my guys for sure and maybe the best fit.....but if we want him, we’re going to have to draft him @62.....if not trade back from 30 and take him mid 2nd rd.  I would say there’s a 2% chance of him being available when we select in rd 3.  -100%chance he’s there rd 5

22 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That’s one of my guys for sure and maybe the best fit.....but if we want him, we’re going to have to draft him @62.....if not trade back from 30 and take him mid 2nd rd.  I would say there’s a 2% chance of him being available when we select in rd 3.  -100%chance he’s there rd 5

I'd say 0% chance he's even there @62... maybe not even at 30, Eskridge's stock is climbing quickly and in a draft where nobody at the position (aside from the obvious ones at the very top) have differentiated themselves, he could easily go in the back half of the first if the right team falls in love.

• Agree 1

Everybody has to get under the cap by tomorrow, so all of the cuts haven't rolled in yet. Cornerback and wide receiver look deep even before the cuts, so I think Buffalo is going to look there for The replacements of John Brown and Levi Wallace.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

I'd say 0% chance he's even there @62... maybe not even at 30, Eskridge's stock is climbing quickly and in a draft where nobody at the position (aside from the obvious ones at the very top) have differentiated themselves, he could easily go in the back half of the first if the right team falls in love.

For sure.  He’s electric.  Love his tenacity run blocking too 

2 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Everyone said the stars would get paid and the middle tier would suffer due to the COVID cap....  there will be some guys coming that are bargains. 

Always are -- will be exacerbated in this cap environment. Teams holding now should really get some great deals down the line...

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

If we go into the season with Diggs, Davis, Beasley and Hodgins as our top 4, I’ll be ready for heaven.  WR is a need.  That’s not to say we need a #2 wr or pay one big bucks....but we need another good wr on this team. I have no doubt that we will make that happen.  We’re a pass heavy offense and that isn’t likely to change very much.  One WR gets hurt and we’re in trouble.  We had Diggs, Cole, Brown and Davis vs the chiefs.....and no one could get open.  

I agree with the fact that we need a guy for numbers sake and I guess they just signed E. Sanders.  He will be a solid vet.

• Agree 1

Just now, Offside#76FredSmerlas said:

I agree with the fact that we need a guy for numbers sake and I guess they just signed E. Sanders.  He will be a solid vet.

Yeah, it had to happen.  Just hope we didn’t pay too much.  I’m assuming it’s a one year deal.  I hope we sign several one year deals