Bills FA Strategy - Bargain Hunting

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

I think that Beasley and Davis were both playing hurt against KC and Brown had been out several Agnes with injury.

That’s kind of my point.....

if we’re counting on our top 3 WRs to stay healthy all season and in the playoffs, we’re not covering all of our bases.  We need better depth at WR.  Counting on Hodgins to be our 4th wr is like counting on Dane Jackson to be a starting corner imo.  Not a smart move.  We have no idea how good Hodgins will be.  

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Beane has been clear repeatedly:  Free agency is for filling holes. He is always bargain hunting.  He isn't looking for difference makers. Happy to find one, but the draft is where he looks for difference makers. 

The Star and Morse contracts were big deals.  Brown, Beasley, Addison, Butler, Hyde (yes 2017) and Murphy were more mid-tier.

They've been no different than any other team in the era of McBeane.

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

That’s kind of my point.....

if we’re counting on our top 3 WRs to stay healthy all season and in the playoffs, we’re not covering all of our bases.  We need better depth at WR.  Counting on Hodgins to be our 4th wr is like counting on Dane Jackson to be a starting corner imo.  Not a smart move.  We have no idea how good Hodgins will be.  

Agreed that depth at WR is needed.  I don’t think we need starter level player there though.  Now, if you want to draft a slot WR that can be ready to replace Beasley when he retires, I could see doing that as early as round 2.

2 hours ago, Weatherman said:

It’s become apparently obvious that this is the Bill approach to FA this year.   After the first day and 1/4 it looks like a majority of teams are at above or nearly capped out.  Only a couple teams still have more than $20M in space and no one wants to play for them unless they way over pay.

My forecast:  We won’t see any moves until day 3/4 when the deep discounts are available.  We will add a WR #2, DE rotation,  #1 RB, punter, OL rotation help, #2 TE. 

Sit back and enjoy watching teams hamstring themselves in a cap strapped year.  

I’m okay with this and I think you’re absolutely right.

How is this just now becoming obvious when it’s verbatim to what Beane said since the season ended?  His focus was on retaining our own and there wouldn’t be any real big splashy FA expenditures.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

How is this just now becoming obvious when it’s verbatim to what Beane said since the season ended?  His focus was on retaining our own and there wouldn’t be any real big FA moves.

I

I actually think the Op showed quite a bit of insight. Many fans are expecting a big signing, but I’m not. Not saying we won’t make any moves, but I highly doubt we make a big one.

9 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Agreed that depth at WR is needed.  I don’t think we need starter level player there though.  Now, if you want to draft a slot WR that can be ready to replace Beasley when he retires, I could see doing that as early as round 2.

If Hodgins is in our plans at all....it’s in the slot.  That’s really all he can do.   We need explosive plauers that are a threat to go the distance.  Jmo

2 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I actually think the Op showed quite a bit of insight. Many fans are expecting a big signing, but I’m not. Not saying we won’t make any moves, but I highly doubt we make a big one.

Im just saying this was all stated by Beane long before FA.  Wasn’t more a point just at the OP, more a general comment to everyone who seem to still be in denial or shock we haven’t done anything. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

49 minutes ago, Georgie said:

Where are you getting all the money? Bills aren't signing a #2 WR or a #1 RB... and I think they try to keep Bojorquez ,McKenzie, and Boettger if they can free up cap space 

They will most likely be 1 year cheap deals. That’s the only way I see it happening unless the bills want to kick the can down the road on Diggs and Whites contracts 

57 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Says Morse, Star, Murphy, Kroft, Addison, Butler, Jefferson. Not huge contracts but no bargain hunting. 

They're all role players, not core stars.   Sign ten, keep eight for a year, cut a couple, keep a few.  Whatever you call them, they aren't difference makers.    Morse is the one guy they might have thought would emerge as a true core player, but now I think they'd move him as soon as a better option came along.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im just saying this was all stated by Beane long before FA.  Wasn’t more a point just at the OP, more a general comment to everyone who seem to still be in denial or shock we haven’t done anything. 

I don’t believe a word that comes out of any GMs or coaches mouth.

Just now, Victory Formation said:

I don’t believe a word that comes out of any GMs or coaches mouth.

Yet Beane does exactly what he says year after year.  So, not believing him would be proven incorrect many times over at this point.  

So you can choose to not believe him, but it’s just making you incorrect in your expectations.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How is this just now becoming obvious when it’s verbatim to what Beane said since the season ended?  His focus was on retaining our own and there wouldn’t be any real big splashy FA expenditures.  

Because that’s what he said last year and he traded for a top 3 WR.  

23 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

The Star and Morse contracts were big deals.  Brown, Beasley, Addison, Butler, Hyde (yes 2017) and Murphy were more mid-tier.

They've been no different than any other team in the era of McBeane.

As I just said about Morse, and I think it's true about Star, the Bills may have hoped they would emerge as core players for the Bills.  That is, they knew that these guys had potential to be difference makers, but they didn't expect them to be difference makers like they expected Diggs to be a difference maker.  They were guys who met the need at the position and might turn out to be more.  

I think McDermott expected Hyde to be what he became - the anchor for the defense.  I think Hyde was one of the exceptions to the rule - Hyde was expected to be a free agent difference maker.   Diggs, although not a free agent, was the other.   Brown, Beasley, Addison, Butler, Murphy, Feliciano, Williams, Norman, and plenty of others were all in hole-filler category, just like several other free agents who ultimately didn't make the team.   

Free agency is simply not where the Bills look for major talent, generally.   Watt would have been an exception.   So, what the Bills are doing/not doing in the free agent market shouldn't be a surprise, especially in a season when cap space is tight and the Bills had players they wanted to keep.  Why put yourself in a position to go replace a Williams or Milano in free agency why you already have the guy?

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Because that’s what he said last year and he traded for a top 3 WR.  

Why are we confusing trades with free agency?  Not the same thing at all.  In fee agency, Beane did exactly what he said he would do last year

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yet Beane does exactly what he says year after year.  So, not believing him would be proven incorrect many times over at this point.  

So you can choose to not believe him, but it’s just making you incorrect in your expectations.  

I agree.  Beane may tell you everything he's thinking, but what he does tell you is what he's thinking about that particular subject.   I WAS fooled, however, when he talked about Milano going to test the market.   Usually when Beane says something like that, it means that the guy is gone.   It's what he said about Shaq last season, and Philips.   However, what probably happened this year is that Milano found out that the market wasn't nearly as attractive as he'd expected it to be. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Sure, they may give you little tid bits to create media attention and fan interest but they’ll never really tip their hand in any way. Haven’t been to buffalobills.com in over a decade.

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree.  Beane may tell you everything he's thinking, but what he does tell you is what he's thinking about that particular subject.   I WAS fooled, however, when he talked about Milano going to test the market.   Usually when Beane says something like that, it means that the guy is gone.   It's what he said about Shaq last season, and Philips.   However, what probably happened this year is that Milano found out that the market wasn't nearly as attractive as he'd expected it to be. 

Yeah, and Beane said he wanted him back, but it was Milano who wanted to test the market.  Beane was always interested in resigning him, and I think you are correct that Milano wasn’t seeing that much more in FA, so he chose to stay here and came to terms in the range Beane was comfortable with.  I mean it’s no secret the guys here now love this team and staff, so if Milano wasn’t gonna make much more there wasn’t an incentive to leave.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

As I just said about Morse, and I think it's true about Star, the Bills may have hoped they would emerge as core players for the Bills.  That is, they knew that these guys had potential to be difference makers, but they didn't expect them to be difference makers like they expected Diggs to be a difference maker.  They were guys who met the need at the position and might turn out to be more.  

I think McDermott expected Hyde to be what he became - the anchor for the defense.  I think Hyde was one of the exceptions to the rule - Hyde was expected to be a free agent difference maker.   Diggs, although not a free agent, was the other.   Brown, Beasley, Addison, Butler, Murphy, Feliciano, Williams, Norman, and plenty of others were all in hole-filler category, just like several other free agents who ultimately didn't make the team.   

Free agency is simply not where the Bills look for major talent, generally.   Watt would have been an exception.   So, what the Bills are doing/not doing in the free agent market shouldn't be a surprise, especially in a season when cap space is tight and the Bills had players they wanted to keep.  Why put yourself in a position to go replace a Williams or Milano in free agency why you already have the guy?

How many 50M DT's and 44M centers are not supposed to be "difference makers/core types" are there?  Those guys weren't exactly acquired to be spare parts. 

Lot of verbal gymnastics to differentiate between a safety who signed for 32M over 5 years in 2017 versus Star's deal in 2018 and Morse a year later.   

• Agree 1

Just now, Victory Formation said:

Sure, they may give you little tid bits to create media attention and fan interest but they’ll never really tip their hand in any way. Haven’t been to buffalobills.com in over a decade.

Well you should listen to Beane more, he’s been spot on every year on his plans.

• Eyeroll 1