Beane created the Bill B meltdown yesterday

Paul Costa

BB a HOF coach has always been very passive with FA early in the process . The Patriots usually come in late looking for bargain binge prices. And often succeed. They always let more people walk than take in FA. And reap the benefits of extra draft picks. Why the change this year? Brandon Beane is the reason. BB and the Patriots have had a front row seat watching the Bills transformation by Beane. The Patriots have been triggered by the Bills & the success of TB in Tampa. The problem for NE is that their not good at this. They look like some day drinking random fan took over the controls of the NE Patriots. I’m happy but very surprised. The Patriots are in panic mode trying to keep up. 

• Like (+1) 7

Sorry, but I have it on tremendous authority, according to many of the reactions I’ve seen on here, that those that DON’T spend 200m in the start of free agency, suck as human beings.

All is doomed.  The 2021 season is going to be a kitten fire.

/sarcasm off.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

There's an article on the ESPN website discussing this very topic. (reading earlier on phone, can't find it now again)

It mentioned the fact that Brady won the SB caused this and also the fact that they were 7-9 last year, he realized he needs to improve roster.

But then went on to state that likely biggest reason was due to reduced cap kept many teams on the sidelines, so they were able to get better bargains than would be available in most seasons. The bidding pool was much smaller.

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think people need to take a look at the Pats' remaining cap space. They set themselves up for a huge buying spree this year, and this was always expected. 

With this cause identified for NE's 2021 spree, does that mean BB drove Buffalo to spend big bucks in 2019-20? 

Correlation does not mean causality and yes, I'd agree they had set themselves up Dave for these signings in 2021. 

In related news, the NFL has announced a change to the comp pick process.  Starting with the 2021 free agency period and 2022 draft, the more free agents you sign, the more comp picks you will be awarded.  The rounds have also changed.  With the first nine picks of the 2022 draft, the New England Patriots select:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

The Pats have spent 6 top 101 picks In the last two drafts on the positions they are currently glutting themselves on. This is happening because Belichick hasn’t been able to put together a roster in a decade+ and he no longer has Tommy boy to cover the gaps. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 4

No longer can they go cheap on players. They’re now setting the market for certain positions. But they still need a quarterback.  If Cam or a rookie like, say, Mac Jones is their plan…

39 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

BB a HOF coach has always been very passive with FA early in the process . The Patriots usually come in late looking for bargain binge prices. And often succeed. They always let more people walk than take in FA. And reap the benefits of extra draft picks. Why the change this year? Brandon Beane is the reason. BB and the Patriots have had a front row seat watching the Bills transformation by Beane. The Patriots have been triggered by the Bills & the success of TB in Tampa. The problem for NE is that their not good at this. They look like some day drinking random fan took over the controls of the NE Patriots. I’m happy but very surprised. The Patriots are in panic mode trying to keep up. 

Umm just no. This was brought on from Brady winning it all last year. Also was brought on because last year the Pats had no money to spend in FA and this year they had the second most AND the cap went down so less competition.  Even better outside of two proven TE and a proven Pass Rusher all the rest guarantees are for one year and can be cut and replaced next year if they suck. 

3 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Umm just no. This was brought on from Brady winning it all last year. Also was brought on because last year the Pats had no money to spend in FA and this year they had the second most AND the cap went down so less competition.  Even better outside of two proven TE and a proven Pass Rusher all the rest guarantees are for one year and can be cut and replaced next year if they suck. 

Good points and I agree on the cuts......nice to have $$$$ to spend.  Getting all the Rona holdouts back the Pats***** will be formidable indeed.....

45 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Its not a meltdown and they are not in panic mode- they have the money so he is putting his team in a position to win. They have invested in solid players this offseason and the ones that are suspect - can be cut without much cap spending.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Good points and I agree on the cuts......nice to have $$$$ to spend.  Getting all the Rona holdouts back the Pats***** will be formidable indeed.....

Like every team depends on how good or bad the QB plays. Wether that’s Cam or a rookie or someone totally out of the blue lol.