Upgrade status at EDGE: Hendrickson or trade or draft or bust?

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is there anyone to trade for that would really be a difference maker?

Looks like it's going to be Draft, unless Beane can fish out a jem or two from the late-day free agent heap

Danielle Hunter, DE Vikings is said to be on the block.  He’s a stud but had a bad neck injury and did not play last season. 
Edit: Also he wants PAID

Edited by BarleyNY

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Looks like it's going to be Draft, unless Beane can fish out a jem or two from the late-day free agent heap

Daniele Hunter - keep an eye out for him. He removed all Vikings reference from his twitter and has been liking tweets from people saying he should be traded. We do have the draft capital to trade for Hunter and Beane and Spielman have done business together that was a win win.

Count me as veeeerrrrrrry skeeevy about relying on a guy coming back from a bad neck injury

That was a freak injury and technicaly he did not even need surgery. There was some resentment from the Vikings that he opted for the surgery and there is a feeling he did it because he felt he was being underpaid. Zimmer dismissed it initially as just a tweak.

Count me as veeeerrrrrrry skeeevy about relying on a guy coming back from a bad neck injury

Obviously you’d want to check that out first, but the man asked what difference making DEs were out there on the trade block.  Hunter certainly fits that bill. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hunter in Minnesota.  

13 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Obviously you’d want to check that out first, but the man asked what difference making DEs were out there on the trade block.  Hunter certainly fits that bill. 

He does

I guess I have PTSD about the Bills medical ability to correctly identify guys with problematic injury pre-signing (See Listenbee, Woods)

17 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

That was a freak injury and technicaly he did not even need surgery. There was some resentment from the Vikings that he opted for the surgery and there is a feeling he did it because he felt he was being underpaid. Zimmer dismissed it initially as just a tweak.

Aren't they all freak injuries?

As far as Zimmer, if Diggs will say "don't piss on me and tell me it's raining" to one aspect, it seems possible to me that it might be a pattern.

As far as surgery, I guess I'm old-fashioned but when a guy requires surgery for something involving his neck and spine, it seems to me that it might be time to step aside from a job description of "smash into 300 lb behemoths or have them smash into me in an uncontrolled fashion approximately 1,000x/year

I know I know, I asked, several of you answered 😬

• Like (+1) 1

What do we do?

Imho, we need a huge influx of talent at pass rusher but can't afford him and he'll come way overpriced....

We definitely need some major talent added to the defense. DE, CB and DT. Never mind backup LB.

We also need major talent added to WR and TE.... and have to find someone to compete with the four RBs we currently have and is good enough to perhaps win the job. Never mind we need a guard and a back up OT.

LOL, Our needs to be a Super Bowl favorite are many.

4 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Judon gone!

Dupree gone!

Lawson gone!

Ngakoue gone!

Autry gone!

Okwara gone!

all (except Autry) between 13 mill and 18 mill aav, which is quite reasonable.

so, we shd be all in on Hendrickson or trade for a guy like Danielle Hunter? Any other top tier guy left in FA?

What about Dawanne Smoot from Jacksonville?

Edit: Nope, Jags re-signed, not available

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/gm-report/report-jaguars-re-sign-defensive-lineman-dawuane-smoot-ahead-of-free-agency

2 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

What do we do?

Imho, we need a huge influx of talent at pass rusher but can't afford him and he'll come way overpriced....

We definitely need some major talent added to the defense. DE, CB and DT. Never mind backup LB.

We also need major talent added to WR and TE.... and have to find someone to compete with the four RBs we currently have and is good enough to perhaps win the job. Never mind we need a guard and a back up OT.

LOL, Our needs to be a Super Bowl favorite are many.

Major talent needed at WR - interesting.

On 3/15/2021 at 10:37 PM, BarleyNY said:

Danielle Hunter, DE Vikings is said to be on the block.  He’s a stud but had a bad neck injury and did not play last season. 
Edit: Also he wants PAID

I don't get guys like this. Missed a lot of time with a pretty bad neck injury and then demands more money. Don't really want him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I’m all about bringing in Dunlap for 1 year, moving back in the draft and taking Joe Tryon at this point barring a Mack trade of course😎. @GunnerBill, @Buffalo716, what are your assessments on Tryon?

Tell me more about what you see out of Dunlap?

21 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

[Danielle Hunter]

I don't get guys like this. Missed a lot of time with a pretty bad neck injury and then demands more money. Don't really want him.

I hear you.  I don't get the Hunter love.  The neck scares me.  1 year prove-it with incentives.  That said, he's good!

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I hear you.  I don't get the Hunter love.

Dunlap to help the defensive rotation at DE. He did make plays/play a role in Seattle. Also to help develop the younger players a la Lee Smith

3 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Dunlap to help the defensive rotation at DE. He did make plays/play a role in Seattle. Also to help develop the younger players a la Lee Smith

We need someone who can actually get home, not another "vet to help develop the younger players a la Lee Smith". 

IMHO we already have a plethora of them in Hughes, Addison, Star etc.

On 3/15/2021 at 7:37 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Use the remaining cap dollars on a veteran TE and draft 4 front 7 defenders

This is more than extremely unlikely.  Just sayin.

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I hear you.  I don't get the Hunter love.

Have you watched him play?

He’s the best pass rushing DE in the league imo. A game changer.  

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We need someone who can actually get home, not another "vet to help develop the younger players a la Lee Smith". 

IMHO we already have a plethora of them in Hughes, Addison, Star etc.

You don’t think he can’t get to the QB still? He had 6 sacks last season. 5 in the 8 games he played in Seattle 

7DDF6C22-4879-4A70-9694-7C1C0E2577D3.png.2e2b664af1fe98a83518f781e5c03ebb.png

Edited by Solomon Grundy

34 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

That’s fair if it’s all about getting more money this season.  I was surprised he did that.  My only thoughts on it are that it’s either:

- a way for him to get himself out of Minny or

- the neck injury that very well could have ended his career got him thinking he has to set himself and his family up financially ASAP

If it’s the former, then okay.  If it’s the latter, then you have to really be concerned.  Waimea team could hand handing him a huge check only to watch him make business decisions on the field for a couple seasons and then retire. 

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s fair if it’s all about getting more money this season.  I was surprised he did that.  My only thoughts on it are that it’s either:

- a way for him to get himself out of Minny or

- the neck injury that very well could have ended his career got him thinking he has to set himself and his family up financially ASAP

If it’s the former, then okay.  If it’s the latter, then you have to really be concerned.  Waimea team could hand handing him a huge check only to watch him make business decisions on the field for a couple seasons and then retire. 

If so, he's not very smart. His value is at an all-time low because of the injury. He has to prove he can still play. Neck injuries can end a career. I don't see a team offering him 15M+ on a multi-year deal only to have him be forced to retire. I don't want another Wood situation.  

• Disagree 1