Bills not tendering Levi Wallace; have offered a contract

12 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Seems like all our Corners struggle with bigger WRs at times. 

a little bit. I agree.

Just Hyde and Poyer VS Hopkins is burned into my brain.

Wallace can play physical enough.

and he has improved each season.
Good Kid too.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I like Levi. He's worked hard and beaten out all the competition they've thrown at him.

But they have to save money somewhere. IMO if he goes they're far more likely to address CB early in the draft.

Last year pick #30 was a DB to Miami.  He signed a contract for 4 years and $11.25 M.  That is far more than a $2M tender.  AJ Dillon was taken at #62. He signed for 4 years at $5.3M.  Wallace is a proven starter and would be relatively inexpensive.  To save money they would have to hope a second round pick could start or at least compete with Jackson for the starting role.  And that uses one of their top two picks on a DB, with holes still at TE and DE.

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Last year pick #30 was a DB to Miami.  He signed a contract for 4 years and $11.25 M.  That is far more than a $2M tender.  AJ Dillon was taken at #62. He signed for 4 years at $5.3M.  Wallace is a proven starter and would be relatively inexpensive.  To save money they would have to hope a second round pick could start or at least compete with Jackson for the starting role.  And that uses one of their top two picks on a DB, with holes still at TE and DE.

Yes, pick #30 will be more expensive than a $2M tender.

Which is completely irrelevant. We will pay the same for that #30 pick regardless of what position we pick there. 

To remind you of what I said, "I like Levi. He's worked hard and beaten out all the competition they've thrown at him. But they have to save money somewhere."

I wouldn't mind if they keep Levi. They still may. But if he goes, it still makes total sense that that would make it far more likely they go CB early in the draft.

13 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

a little bit. I agree.

Just Hyde and Poyer VS Hopkins is burned into my brain.

Wallace can play physical enough.

and he has improved each season.
Good Kid too.

The biggest issue with Wallace is that he does not have the speed to close the gap.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Based on his 5 games of playing?

Sort of. In those 5 games Dane flashed at a level that Levi hasn't really shown in this 3 years here - in my opinion of course. Only thing holding Dane back is experience and probably an off-season of acclimation to the NFL.

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

The biggest issue with Wallace is that he does not have the speed to close the gap.

Agreed. If he ever gets beat off of the line, or when a WR makes his cut, there is no recovery in 99 out of 100 instances if the QB throws an accurate ball. 

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Based on his 5 games of playing?

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

Sort of. In those 5 games Dane flashed at a level that Levi hasn't really shown in this 3 years here - in my opinion of course. Only thing holding Dane back is experience and probably an off-season of acclimation to the NFL.

I like Levi but I saw more promise from Dane in those 5 games then anything I've seen from Wallace. We could very well bring him back as an emergency nickel. I think Dane will assume the CB2 role.

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yes, pick #30 will be more expensive than a $2M tender.

Which is completely irrelevant. We will pay the same for that #30 pick regardless of what position we pick there. 

To remind you of what I said, "I like Levi. He's worked hard and beaten out all the competition they've thrown at him. But they have to save money somewhere."

I wouldn't mind if they keep Levi. They still may. But if he goes, it still makes total sense that that would make it far more likely they go CB early in the draft.

I agree with your points but it's not irrelevant.  If they select a unproven DB at #30 they will spend more in 2021 on CB #2 position in a year with a lower cap.  That means they will spend more money on an unproven talent and use a top draft pick on a hole that could have been avoided with a tender offer.

In the end it probably won't matter much as they are realistically only 2-3 players short of filling out their entire roster and most will now come in the draft.  

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I like Levi but I saw more promise from Dane in those 5 games then anything I've seen from Wallace. We could very well bring him back as an emergency nickel. I think Dane will assume the CB2 role.

Call me crazy, but Dane Jackson as the #2 corner based on 192 snaps as a rookie is a stretch. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, ganesh said:

I always said he needed over help. or keep the play in front of him. 

Needs better press skills and hand hand work. he has been a slow improver over the seasons.

On 3/16/2021 at 8:24 AM, GLP said:

Yeah, the Patriots. They're picking up everyone.

A 2 million tender for a guy you know and who as many NFL starts should be a no brainer. This is one decision I don't agree with McBeane.

I take this statement back. I was wrong.