Bills not tendering Levi Wallace; have offered a contract

2 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

I’ve been a Levi Wallace stan. He’s been a darn solid player for us and we could do a lot worse than him. 

You can, but the problem here is that you can't play him anywhere else, meaning you can't move him into the slot, and he struggles in man because he's simply not quick enough. So if you keep him, you need to keep as an outside corner. Can't move him to slot, can't really move him to safety.

Let Dane Jackson swap and slide with Taron Johnson between the outside and slot depending on matchup, and it wouldn't hurt to go and draft another corner perhaps in the 5th.

11 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I can’t see him back. Some team is gonna want a young CB who has started a lot of games that can come fairly cheap on the market. I though someone might offer sheet him if the Bills put the original tender on him 

Or...or... hear me out. Like a lot of other players on the team, maybe he wants to stay and will take a lower cap hit in order to do so. Or are we going to continue to do this dance where there's no way they sign [x]. I'm not saying it will happen, just that maybe after all that happened last week, I wouldn't rule it out.

Just now, thurst44 said:

Or...or... hear me out. Like a lot of other players on the team, maybe he wants to stay and will take a lower cap hit in order to do so. Or are we going to continue to do this dance where there's no way they sign [x]. I'm not saying it will happen, just that maybe after all that happened last week, I wouldn't rule it out.

Eh, he's been playing on a UDFA Contract....the man is going to want to get paid.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, appoo said:

Eh, he's been playing on a UDFA Contract....the man is going to want to get paid.

Just saying a lot of people said the same thing about Milano... and Williams.... and yet here we are. You may be right, but I just think it's silly when people are so absolute about it even when the same logic has been proven wrong over and over and over :). Face it, players want to play here. Can we be happy about it instead of still presuming everyone's just going to chase the cash. This is a guy who is on an amazing path just to be here--he may value team (while still getting paid millions) or, you may be right, he may want to cash out while he's ahead and take a chance that he'll have a similar success on another team. (yes, success being relative)

Edited by thurst44

I bet he ends up coming back on a one-year deal.

A former UDFA and true zone corner who lacks man-to-man ability and isn't really a playmaker and isn't a fit in a lot of schemes isn't going to be in high demand.

At the end of the day, I predict a Dane Jackson vs Levi Wallace vs early draftee battle for the CB2 spot.

• Agree 1

Odd, I hope they tender Ike and Bojo. It wouldn't be a huge loss if they let Levi walk but it would leave a hole as I think he is at least a competent corner. It would be weird to just let him walk unless they have a plan in place. Wallace is at worst a high end backup.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, appoo said:

You can, but the problem here is that you can't play him anywhere else, meaning you can't move him into the slot, and he struggles in man because he's simply not quick enough. So if you keep him, you need to keep as an outside corner. Can't move him to slot, can't really move him to safety.

Let Dane Jackson swap and slide with Taron Johnson between the outside and slot depending on matchup, and it wouldn't hurt to go and draft another corner perhaps in the 5th.

Taron Johnson doesn’t play outside. 
Dane didn’t play in the slot   

10 minutes ago, appoo said:

Not just wants to. It’s the responsible choice. For the sake of this conversation, Over the cap has Wallace valued at something like $2.3M. Taking $1.9M because Buffalo, he wants to be here. I get this concept for higher paid players. But for a guy coming off an UDFA money, that extra $1.2M over the course of a 3 year deal, is the difference between you needing to go work for Geico to help yourself kids through college and being able to provide for your family until you die. 

For a dude like Wallace; that money gets stretched a lot further than say Watt signing somewhere for $3M less per year 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Just saying a lot of people said the same thing about Milano... and Williams.... and yet here we are. You may be right, but I just think it's silly when people are so absolute about it even when the same logic has been proven wrong over and over and over :). Face it, players want to play here. Can we be happy about it instead of still presuming everyone's just going to chase the cash. This is a guy who is on an amazing path just to be here--he may value team (while still getting paid millions) or, you may be right, he may want to cash out while he's ahead and take a chance that he'll have a similar success on another team. (yes, success being relative)

thats very true and I love that the Bills are retaining their best players. It's very refreshing.

But I wasn't saying that with regards to Levi as a negative, I'm happy for the dude. It's not easy to get ahead in life, and when you have that opportunity it's good to see good people do that, and from all I've read Levi Wallace is a good man. I'd like to see him get paid after basically playing for the NFL minimum these last few years. He's got life changing money, and hopefully his next contract gets him generation changing money

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

Taron Johnson doesn’t play outside. 
Dane didn’t play in the slot   

I think they can both be versatile enough to do that though, and I don't think Levi is - which is why I value Johnson and Dane over Levi.

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Bills not tendering Levi Wallace; have offered a contract
25 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Bills really need a corner with speed and who can play man when needed 

My guess is that's what we do with our 1st. The two Georgia CBs have elite speed. Not sure if there are many others that have a top grade. 

2 minutes ago, ROONDOGG55 said:

My guess is that's what we do with our 1st. The two Georgia CBs have elite speed. Not sure if there are many others that have a top grade. 

Greg Newsome from northwestern. I know I know northwestern but he’s fast and very technically sound 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Greg Newsome from northwestern. I know I know northwestern but he’s fast and very technically sound 

They also played OSU about as well as anyone, and really shut down that passing attack

• Like (+1) 1