Can someone explain to me the Pats strategy?

appoo

4 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I would not discount what the Patriots are doing.  They have improved their offensive and defensive talent today.  They will also get players back that opted out last year.  We won the division one year and made it to the AFC Championship game.  We can be proud and happy, but not smug.  We will have to earn it every year.

Good points, all. But I refuse to be rational.

I'm looking forward to telling my Pats fan friends (and I do have 'em), "hey, you won the offseason!"  And if they manage to beat us in the regular season, "Welp...you won your Super Bowl!"

I'm gonna get maximum mileage out of this long-overdue role reversal.

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It's just one part of being a GM.  He found Welker, Gronk, and Edelman. They had solid OL's most of Brady's tenure. Oh and that guy Moss.... But you are right he never found any offensive talent to go with Brady.   

He did plenty good, but I’ll agree to disagree. Moss and Welker played over a decade ago. I’d be more concerned with BB as the GM over the last five seasons. Belichick has been below average in finding talent for that offense for many years.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It's just one part of being a GM.  He found Welker, Gronk, and Edelman. They had solid OL's most of Brady's tenure. Oh and that guy Moss.... But you are right he never found any offensive talent to go with Brady.   

Bill had a guaranteed 5-6 automatic wins to start every season cause of how poorly the other teams in the division where run...now with the Dolphins and more importantly the Bills he can’t do that anymore and actually has to massively overpay to get players to come there... the WR they just signed is making as much per year as Mr Diggs 

5 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Bill had a guaranteed 5-6 automatic wins to start every season cause of how poorly the other teams in the division where run...now with the Dolphins and more importantly the Bills he can’t do that anymore and actually has to massively overpay to get players to come there... the WR they just signed is making as much per year as Mr Diggs 

It's absurd. agholor is a fine WR. He's by no definition beyond above average. And he's a player you want to to fill a the whole to go from WC to contenders. They just gave him 26M over 2 years

I continue to be mystified

Maybe Belichak is trying to play 5D chess, and get other players angry at their contracts. By giving Nelson Agholor 13M a year, maybe he's trying to piss off Diggs and create dissension among the Bills locker room.

75% joking

Edited by appoo

11 minutes ago, appoo said:

It's absurd. agholor is a fine WR. He's by no definition beyond above average. And he's a player you want to to fill a the whole to go from WC to contenders. They just gave him 26M over 2 years

I continue to be mystified

Maybe Belichak is trying to play 5D chess, and get other players angry at their contracts. By giving Nelson Agholor 13M a year, maybe he's trying to piss off Diggs and create dissension among the Bills locker room.

75% joking

I think he’s basically turning into Bill O’Brien with a much better resume’ he’s just throwing money at things this has a Daniel Snyder level of desperation to it back in the day when he’d throw money any free agent out there 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Watson and Wilson are the only ones on that list that might get that team to the playoffs next year.

And the packers have no chance to win 13 games.  Whatever you say 

• Haha (+1) 1

I have respect for Bellicheck's coaching....even with the cheating, he is a great coach.  Their roster (totally decimated) was awful last year and they won 7 games.   They easily could have won in Buffalo.   The get like 8 guys back from Covid opt outs and these free agents.....they will be much better than some in this thread seem to think.  Their roster improvement will be among the best in the league.   The big question is QB.  Are they "overpaying in FA", yes everyone is....that is what free agency is.  Did the Bills overpay for Jefferson, Butler and Addison last year?  Yes they did.

Edited by mattynh
  • Agree 1

It reminds me of when the Bills sucked..sign a bunch of people and throw a bunch of crap on the wall and hope some of it sticks.

But when you have drafted as poorly for as long as they have overall what other strategy can you have? Brady covered up a team with declining talent for a long time...

Edited by Big Turk

12 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Isn’t a terrible judge of collegiate talent generally a bad a GM ? The myth of BB brilliantly moving on from overpaid stars is overrated. He could move on from those big contracts because Brady continued to win games. Belichick’s inability to find any talent on offense ended Brady’s tenure. 

Not if he is a great coach and wins Super Bowl's.  The QB gives you the ability to compete consistently over time, agree there.   It takes a great organization to get to 12 AFC championship games, 9 SB's and win 6 of them.   A QB alone does not do that, I get the hate for him but to just say his success is all due to Brady is just not real.   He may not be a good judge of collegiate talent but he is a master of getting the most out of a guys potential and finding roles for players that work for their skill level.   That is how he was able to move on from guys who's turn it was to get paid...at most positions he is able to plug guys in and get them to perform.

One thing that chapped me a little the other day is one of the shows was commenting on NFLR were commenting how with the opt outs coming back, and actually saying with the talented players most likely will have new weapons, the Pats will win 10-11 games and take a run at the East.  I spit out my water as I was driving.  I thought deja vu again after hearing all off season last year how great Cam will do with BB.  I was thinking have you buttheads not seen the games last year.

The Cheats will be lucky to win 8-9 games unless somehow they luck into a solid QB in the draft.  Unless they bundle picks to move up, they shouldn’t be able to get there.  QB’s always get pushed up in the draft as you get closer.  

41 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

One thing that chapped me a little the other day is one of the shows was commenting on NFLR were commenting how with the opt outs coming back, and actually saying with the talented players most likely will have new weapons, the Pats will win 10-11 games and take a run at the East.  I spit out my water as I was driving.  I thought deja vu again after hearing all off season last year how great Cam will do with BB.  I was thinking have you buttheads not seen the games last year.

The Cheats will be lucky to win 8-9 games unless somehow they luck into a solid QB in the draft.  Unless they bundle picks to move up, they shouldn’t be able to get there.  QB’s always get pushed up in the draft as you get closer.  

I agree with you to a point.   The Patriots have a relatively easy schedule so I think 10 wins is possible, but again it all comes down to Cam.     Like I said in another thread Belichick is 61-72 in games he has coached without Brady.   I refuse to be scared of that until I see otherwise.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Pretty simple we can't cover te's and they got one smart move.

Jonnu Smith is good too.  I don't think he's played his best football either.  But at the same token - I don't look at him as someone who you have to truly adjust your entire gameplan for.  I think Geisicki is a better player tbh.  Smith is fast and athletic, and can highpoint a ball with the best of them - red zone weapon for sure.  

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

You have to remember - Buffalo will never get respect.  It's all luck and smoke and mirrors.  They won some tight games early, beat the hell out of some other teams.  But they lost on a hail mary - and the chiefs "have their number".  So going 13-3, and winning 15 games isn't impressive to them.  They'll remember what they want that fits the agenda.  

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

Unless they do something else besides Cam and a rookie, Jonnu won't make much of a difference. Catching balls on a one-hop off the carpet still won't count.

My sources tell me that NE is proposing a one-hop rule change. 🙂 Two-hops though will count as a skip and won't be allowed.  The NFL is a hopping but not skipping league.

• Haha (+1) 1

I think their approach is a smart one.  Most teams are not in a great cap situation, but the Pats were.  They're signing free agents that would warrant more money in any normal free agent period.  They're getting a bargain.   These "avg to above avg" players next year would be receiving a lot more money because there'd be more competition for their services.  Pats can offer a front loaded contract and not many other teams can.