Can someone explain to me the Pats strategy?

appoo

Perhaps the OP needs a history lesson.  How do you think the Patriots won their first SuperBowl?  They signed a bunch of middle of the road free agents (Mike Vrabel for an example) and paired them with a few stars on defense and an all-world defensive minded HC to make a SB run.  It helped that the rules of the day allowed Belichick to grab and hold receivers all day long.  

The Patriots won 7 games last year with the most number of COVID opt-outs in the league and played the league's hardest schedule (preseason ranking).  The Bills barely beat them in the first game.  Newton had a better game than Allen in the first game - both were terrible.  And they were one yard away from beating Seattle in Seattle.  

The Patriots are not in the class of the Bills but they have the personnel to make a WC run.  

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

How is the Patriots O-Line "hollowed out"????

Huh??

The Patriots have one of the best O-Lines in football for 2021. It's going to be an elite unit.

2 excellent OTs in Wynn and Trent Brown

2 excellent OGs in Mason and Onewnu.

The Patriots may have roster issues: OL is not 1 of them.

Trent Brown isn't excellent and Onwenu hasn't played guard in the NFL. They should be good, but they lost a pair of VERY good starters in Cannon and Thuney, and they lost a pro-bowl caliber center in David Andrews, unless he decides to stay. 

18 minutes ago, Success said:

BB has an aura about him because of his greatness as a coach - and there is no doubt about that.  I think most of us agree that he's the best ever.

But he has never been all that as a GM.  Always has his share of head-scratching moves,  and his draft record is middlin' at best.  He benefitted for years from a GOAT QB taking pay cuts and having a salary below his value, and also from FA's taking pay cuts to play with that GOAT.  

This reminds me of drought-era Bills, or other teams that "won" the offseason with FA additions but then fizzled in the regular season.  None of what they're doing concerns me right now. They still have Cam behind center.

Cam was broken last season and I'm sorry but the Patriots receiving core was horrible last year. That said it' still bad until they get someone. Yet knowing Belichick he's going to look for lesser known guys Marvin Jones and Adam Humpheries that would fly under the radar but can produce.

• Agree 2

Simple

Belichick is out to try to prove he can win a SB without Brady

He had a 36-44 record in Cleveland and has a 25-28 record without Brady in NE

61-72 total without Brady

He isn't gonna see another SB much less win one though. His ticket for that is playing in Tampa now amd just won one without him in his first year there on a team that was on a 13 year playoff drought. 

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, H2o said:

They will either be taking Mac Jones or Trey Lance at #15. Their defense is going to be stout again. 

As many, many teams have learned in the past. If you have your guy at QB, you better be prepared to go up and get him. Because staying put is a recipe for getting locked out in this Draft IMHO..

I live in NC...Most of my immediate family down here are die-hard Panthers fans...They are all 100% convinced the Panthers will take Lance at #8...We'll see I guess, but IF so that's the 4th QB gone at #8 overall...That's a worst-case-scenario for the Pats leaving 7 spots above them for a team to jump up and grab Mac...

Should be interesting...Admittedly I hope they get locked out...B-)

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

BB is one of the worst GM’s in the league. That’s the issue 

He is a very good GM. He sheds players before they bottom out.  He accumulates multiple draft picks.  He makes great trades.  He is just a terrible judge of collegiate talent.  Yet even with that he managed to draft the greatest QB in NFL history and probably the top 3 tight end in NFL history.  

1 hour ago, appoo said:

They're spending a bunch of money on signing good to above average F/As, none of whom will push them over into contending range when you've hollowed out your OLine, have the broken down version of Cam Newton as your QB, and don't have much WR talent.

All they're really doing is setting themselves up to pick at 15 - 20, so basically out of the running for a franchise QB. Unless their strategy is a 5 years of being mediocre, I don't get it.

Either rebuild or try to contend. They're doing neither.

Too quick to judge their off season. Theyve never paid OL. 

My guess is they will sign young guys, likely draft a young option type QB where Cam and he can run a similar offense.

On defense they still have a ton of solid players, and maybe some of the opt outs return.

10 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

As many, many teams have learned in the past. If you have your guy at QB, you better be prepared to go up and get him. Because staying put is a recipe for getting locked out in this Draft IMHO..

I live in NC...Most of my immediate family down here are die-hard Panthers fans...They are all 100% convinced the Panthers will take Lance at #8...We'll see I guess, but IF so that's the 4th QB gone at #8 overall...That's a worst-case-scenario for the Pats leaving 7 spots above them for a team to jump up and grab Mac...

Should be interesting...Admittedly I hope they get locked out...B-)

What's interesting is that theres 4 QBs who seem to be graded out as top 10 QBs prospects - Lawrence, Wilson, Fields and Lance. And then you have Mac Jones, who was massively prolific in a historically loaded offense.

Then you look at the teams that are drafting: Jags (rebuild), Jets (rebuild), Falcons (Future), Panthers (rebuild), Niners (Future), and Vikings (rebuild) would all be teams that would either definitely draft a QB, or have a greater need, either as a QB of the future or onset rebuild. Mac Jones would have to slip past the Niners and Vikes.

22 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Perhaps the OP needs a history lesson.  How do you think the Patriots won their first SuperBowl?  They signed a bunch of middle of the road free agents (Mike Vrabel for an example) and paired them with a few stars on defense and an all-world defensive minded HC to make a SB run.  It helped that the rules of the day allowed Belichick to grab and hold receivers all day long.  

The Patriots won 7 games last year with the most number of COVID opt-outs in the league and played the league's hardest schedule (preseason ranking).  The Bills barely beat them in the first game.  Newton had a better game than Allen in the first game - both were terrible.  And they were one yard away from beating Seattle in Seattle.  

The Patriots are not in the class of the Bills but they have the personnel to make a WC run.  

Just good enough to be middle of the pack without a QB which is exactly where I like them

And Kendrick Bourne is another guy who is above average but doesn't neccesarily move the "contender' needle, unless he's your final piece of the puzzle. But if he's your best WR - well that's just not good enough.

Think a lot of y'all are right, there's got to be a QB play here.

Pats betting Cam has something left in the tank.  He almost beat the Bills so I won't rule that out. Cam is not the physical specimen he once was, but, he has a lot of starts under his belt, and knows how to handle the game.  They could do worse, especially if they draft a QB and let him sit a year or two.  Remember, Aaron Rodgers sate three years behind Farve.

1 hour ago, appoo said:

They're spending a bunch of money on signing good to above average F/As, none of whom will push them over into contending range when you've hollowed out your OLine, have the broken down version of Cam Newton as your QB, and don't have much WR talent.

All they're really doing is setting themselves up to pick at 15 - 20, so basically out of the running for a franchise QB. Unless their strategy is a 5 years of being mediocre, I don't get it.

Either rebuild or try to contend. They're doing neither.

What do you think patriots fans have been saying about buffalo for 20 years?

51 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He is a very good GM. He sheds players before they bottom out.  He accumulates multiple draft picks.  He makes great trades.  He is just a terrible judge of collegiate talent.  Yet even with that he managed to draft the greatest QB in NFL history and probably the top 3 tight end in NFL history.  

Isn’t a terrible judge of collegiate talent generally a bad a GM ? The myth of BB brilliantly moving on from overpaid stars is overrated. He could move on from those big contracts because Brady continued to win games. Belichick’s inability to find any talent on offense ended Brady’s tenure. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1