Can someone explain to me the Pats strategy?

appoo

They're spending a bunch of money on signing good to above average F/As, none of whom will push them over into contending range when you've hollowed out your OLine, have the broken down version of Cam Newton as your QB, and don't have much WR talent.

All they're really doing is setting themselves up to pick at 15 - 20, so basically out of the running for a franchise QB. Unless their strategy is a 5 years of being mediocre, I don't get it.

Either rebuild or try to contend. They're doing neither.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, sodbuster said:

I think they went into last year thinking that they could still sign quality FAs at a discount, and by the time they found out they were wrong it was too late. This year seems like they are overcorrecting.

It honestly reminds me of the Bills' lost decade(s).

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, appoo said:

They're spending a bunch of money on signing good to above average F/As, none of whom will push them over into contending range when you've hollowed out your OLine, have the broken down version of Cam Newton as your QB, and don't have much WR talent.

All they're really doing is setting themselves up to pick at 15 - 20, so basically out of the running for a franchise QB. Unless their strategy is a 5 years of being mediocre, I don't get it.

FA just started.  Let’s wait and see what they do at QB.  The cam deal doesn’t mean anything 

• Agree 2

All about mismatches on offense - Jonnu Smith gives them a mismatch in every game to try and exploit like they had with Gronk. And given their clear shortcomings in the passing game - they are shoring up the power run game with Trent Brown. On Defense, they are actually similar to us in strategy where the scheme fit is paramount (their scheme features more man to man because of Gilmore). The idea is to be adequate on Offense with few mistakes and have an elite defense I think.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

They will either be taking Mac Jones or Trey Lance at #15. Their defense is going to be stout again. 

Don't think either will get past 10

Edited by appoo

11 minutes ago, appoo said:

This is actually an acute observation. Couldn’t agree more. Who will play QB? These are the kind of moves a contender would make, not a tepid lukewarm franchise.

1 minute ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

All about mismatches on offense - Jonnu Smith gives them a mismatch in every game to try and exploit like they had with Gronk. And given their clear shortcomings in the passing game - they are shoring up the power run game with Trent Brown. On Defense, they are actually similar to us in strategy where the scheme fit is paramount (their scheme features more man to man because of Gilmore). The idea is to be adequate on Offense with few mistakes and have an elite defense I think.

That's fair, but also like the Bills D, they're far from elite on D. The Bills got to 13 - 3 because they had Josh Allen to make up for a defense that struggled for chunks, and I don't see how the Pats win football games against decent defenses if they have to scored 30+

13 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I think Brady winning a super bowl with Bucs really messed with their psyche.  

Yeah, I think they know they screwed up by letting Brady walk and now they’re trying to buy their way out of it.

3 minutes ago, MDH said:

This just goes to show how much they have sucked in the draft as of late. Before they were re-signing their own. Playing the Comp formula and attempting to draft replacements has been a swing-n-a-miss. 

5 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Unless they do something else besides Cam and a rookie, Jonnu won't make much of a difference. Catching balls on a one-hop off the carpet still won't count.

Look around the NFL every March when free agency opens.

This is what non-contenders do with their excess cap space.  Overpay to fill holes.

New England is coming off a 7-9 season, and they don't have a franchise quarterback.

It's not exactly the most attractive destination for free agents, unless they are looking for the highest bidder.

They have basically switched places with us.  

The Bills will be a destination for vets willing to take a paycut to contend for a Super Bowl.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1