Roberts to Houston

21 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

What's with the McKenzie stuff? Didn't he have ball security issues returning kicks in the past?. Andre did not!

I seem to remember a muff in the Denver game on our own 20 yard line or did you miss that game.....

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Kickoff returns are a rare thing unless teams purposely short kick in an effort to pin offenses inside the 25. 

Exactly, and when you have one that gets good position majority of the time it's always an advantage. But can still understand why they moved on so is what it is.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

Just now, Patrick_Duffy said:

Exactly, and when you have one that gets good position it's always an advantage. But can still understand why they moved on so is what it is.

If the cap wasn't as tight as it was wed likely see him back. That said I'd love to see a younger kids that can return kicks and contribute more in offense or defense.

8 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Again... how many does any returner take to the house these days? As I mentioned up thread it's rare.

Fair enough, but you can’t have it both ways.  If it’s acknowledged ST TD are rare and we haven’t had one in 2 years, then it follows that having a guy who can theoretically (but hasn’t) accomplished one isn’t as valuable

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Locomark said:

I seem to remember a muff in the Denver game on our own 20 yard line or did you miss that game.....

Ha...he more than made up for it through the rest of that game, including the 2nd half kickoff,  an incredible return.  The dude is definitely good at what he does.

2 hours ago, JimmyNoodles said:

lots of muffs when he returned punts in Denver, so definitely reason for concern. 

yeah, McKenzie is not going to be the KR/PR guy. The number of muffs and fumbles he has had in Denver and Buffalo in relatively few chances is alarming.

even in the 1 game when he was returning punts this past year, he almost fumbled the return he took for a TD and he misplayed another punt

in that game For a near turnover. 

You wonder too if the Texans agreed to let him play some WR reps too and that made the appeal greater there?  Not that I know he'll be any good at that but maybe they agreed to give him a fighting chance where as he knew in Buffalo that wasn't going to happen.  And maybe on top of that Bills interest was lukewarm. 

Recall Taskers last year or two he got to play some WR and was actually played decent at it.

38 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fair enough, but you can’t have it both ways.  If it’s acknowledged ST TD are rare and we haven’t had one in 2 years, then it follows that having a guy who can theoretically (but hasn’t) accomplished one isn’t as valuable

Your'e missing my point. I'm talking about the field position he gave this team on a fairly regular basis. Best in the league. I however, think it brings a good advantage. Not to mention the times he was an ankle trip up away from actually scoring. Again, even though he didn't take 1 for the TD, he was definitely a major threat to do it.

I'm sure you remember at times teams tried to avoid kicking to him. 

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

We all saw in 2018 how having an inconsistent return game can really lose you games. Having a steady hand the past two seasons was really good. I am very upset to see him go. Not sure why fans were so quick to rush him out the door. Maybe Mac can handle the return duties but I would have liked to have kept Roberts.

1 fumble in two seasons and while I don't like his kick returning (he was fairly average) I think his punt returning was one of the best in the league. Never an explosive punt returner but he was always solid on his returns and never a turnover liability. 

These are great points.  He was good on kickoffs tho he apparently lost enough to never break one and in two (Tenn for one) games he was terrible with taking the ball out deep from the endzone and we started inside our 20 and even the 10 once or twice. So that part I think we can break even by just starting at the 25.

BUT he was great on punt returns.  Guy never dropped the ball and more importantly he always caught it before it hit the ground. Tasker has stated he was taught by Marv if you let it bounce you are usually starting at an average of 20 yards closer to your own goal line.  That’s huge as those 20 yards really decrease the percentage of your team scoring a td. I watched this over the years after hearing taskers emphasis on not letting punts hit the ground and it’s shocking how many guys let it bounce and roll! Roberts was sure handed and he was always in position to catch the ball. Possibly more important than an occasional chance to take one to the house.That’s what I hope whomever replaces him understands.Fielding the ball gave our O a statistically grea5er chance to score tds and was a vital part  in averaging 29 Points a game. Roberts usually made great decisions, while speed from  a younger player may not make up for that loss of pro bowl decision making. May be our first impactful loss this off-season, maybe more so than brown, as we went 5-0 while he was injured. Roberts , not brown , was a pro bowler for a reason. 

Edited by DrPJax
  • Like (+1) 1