Anyone interested in Jonnu Smith? EDITED He signed with the Patzies. they over paid

PrimeTime101

1 minute ago, mathja said:

I’m getting a Charles Clay vibe. I don’t know if that’s off-base. They both seem like athletic undersized tight ends. 
Clay probably got paid more than what he was worth to the team those few seasons.

Clay also dealt with any issues. Bottom line, is John Smith on the rise, or have we already seen the best of him?

I am wondering what a 26 year old Clay would of done with THIS QB. One would argue 100% more then what QB's he played with prior.

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

So I hear ya and you changed your tune on the money thing which is ok for me I guess but What corner or Pass rusher can we get for 8 mil or less (what people think Jonnu will get) that would be impactful ?

I didn't change my tune. I said Jonnu would get top dollar. And I think he will. There are certainly ways that the Bills could make that work. I just don't think it is advisable. I'd rather have Hunter Henry if I was forced to sign a top TE.

I don't think the Bills are going to be able to sign a top pass rusher. I think that is going to be left to developing the talent we have (AJ Epenesa, for example) and drafting guys. For Corner, again, I don't think they can sign a top guy. But perhaps they can find a guy better than Levi Wallace, and I would draft one high.

Jonnu Smith's numbers by year (year, rec., yds., TDs):

2017   18-157-2

2018   20-258-3

2019   35-439-3

2020   41-448-8

Gerald Everett's #s:

2017   16-244-2

2018   33-320-3

2019   37-408-2

2020   41-417-1

Dawson Knox's #s:

2019   28-388-2

2020   24-288-3

They play in very different offenses. You could make a case that Knox is further along in his development than Smith or Everett were at the end of their 2nd year. I was interested in Smith when first learning about him being a free agent, now I am thinking more that Knox is on the right path. 

Is 45-450-5 realistic for Knox this year and is that enough from the position given the other weapons/options? I look at passing yards breakdown like this (presuming all healthy) in 2021:

Diggs 110-1350-8

Beasley 80-900-6

Davis    55-800-6

Other WRs  40-400-4 (hope McKenzie is part of it)

RBs   50-400-3

TEs  55-550-7

That's 390-4,400-34, pretty close to 2020. Add in a better run game and it's high-powered offense again. My point is that the $8 million or so to bring in Smith probably does not align with the value. I don't think him or Everett come in and has a 65-700-8 season. 

If the Bills can get 100-105 receptions for close to 1,000 yards and 10 TDs from the RBs and TEs that will diversify the offense enough and still get the WRs, their best position group in terms of weapons, the requisite touches they need for the offense to be near the top of the league again. 

Edited by jwhit34
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, MJS said:

I didn't change my tune. I said Jonnu would get top dollar. And I think he will. There are certainly ways that the Bills could make that work. I just don't think it is advisable. I'd rather have Hunter Henry if I was forced to sign a top TE.

I don't think the Bills are going to be able to sign a top pass rusher. I think that is going to be left to developing the talent we have (AJ Epenesa, for example) and drafting guys. For Corner, again, I don't think they can sign a top guy. But perhaps they can find a guy better than Levi Wallace, and I would draft one high.

doesnt matter now HE signed with the patzies lol

Lock it mods lol

2 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

doesnt matter now HE signed with the patzies lol

Lock it mods lol

And he got paid big time.

But the TE position is super important in NE. And they have cap space.

4 minutes ago, 947 said:

Titans attempted 485 passes last year (bottom 3rd of the league), Bills attempted 596 (3rd in the league). I'd have to assume he'd have more opportunity with us.

That Didn't stop AJ Brown and Corey Davis from both being top 20 receivers in yards.

Also,  I find it concerning that Jonnu barely outproduced their second string tight end Firsker. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Wow that a lot of money for him.  Not good to see the TE market opening this high.  

NO its not. This changes everything. we are going to have to settle this year with Knox

Just now, MJS said:

Cam Newton is not, though.

the right team over payed.. As much as I wanted him. he does not scare me

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.