Anyone interested in Jonnu Smith? EDITED He signed with the Patzies. they over paid

PrimeTime101

1 minute ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Agreed, but even with some inventive cap management, it would be tough to pay a tight end the $10 million plus per year that those two are going to get and fill out the roster and pay the draft picks for this year. This is going to be a very exciting week to see how they manage to fill out the roster.

pay them better next year when we have a ton more room and especially with covid cap rate bouncing back up

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

OH like everyone said Milano was going to get top Dollar ?

Sorry one can say this about any player coming out. 

Well, he's going to. Milano didn't hit free agency.

2 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I really liked how New England’s offense looked with Gronk and Hernandez. We obviously run the Erhardt-Perkins offense, the same one they were running back then. I think by having two big bodied TEs on the field our passing game would open up, as well as the running game and coincidentally the play action as well, which Allen thrives at. 

I did too. 

Just now, MJS said:

oh come on... Everyone said Milano was going to hit FA and was going to ask for Top Dollar.

You can make your exact statement with any player in FA coming up.. Sorry, saying someone getting top dollar now a days is more like a figure of speech these days

Just now, MJS said:

Exactly. Jonnu Smith isn't negotiating with the Bills in a vacuum here (if he's negotiating with them at all). The market will dictate his price and terms of his contract, having the ability to craft a contract in a way that's beneficial to our cap situation and doing so with Smith onboard and excited about that proposition are 2 completely different things. This is Madden thinking and not the reality of how free agency works.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Jonnu is kinda overrated. 
He was invisible for multiple games in Tennessee. And some of those games were when Henry struggled so it’s not like they just ran effective and did not pass. Many games he was the #2 option in the pass game and made zero impact. He had a jump in touchdowns this season but imo Kroft could of had 8 touchdowns on that team with how defenses sold out to stop Henry. He seems to get a lot of love on here but I see him as a very average player. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

lol sorry for trying to bring some reality to the conversation. Perhaps I should've been more explicit (read: boring.) You can't sign everybody, teams have their priorities and I tend to believe that TE is low on this team's priority list. Lower, certainly, than CB, pass rush, DL, OL, WR, RB, KR/PR and probably backup QB. 

Yes contractual funny money sometimes exists in the NFL, but just because it *can* happen, doesn't mean Jonnu's up for that, won't get a better offer elsewhere, or we'll even try to do that (see priority comments above). 

I'll gladly be wrong, because I love Jonnu's game, but I don't see it here...

You got a thumbs up from me because your explaining why you feel this way instead of just saying no... or we cant afford it. As much as I disagree I respect your opinion. Just keep in mind.. There are plenty of contracts our GM can still renegotiate to get players in here. I think its possible. Dont want to keep reminding people of the name CLAY but remember the contract he got in tough times.

Edited by PrimeTime101
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I did too. 

oh come on... Everyone said Milano was going to hit FA and was going to ask for Top Dollar.

You can make your exact statement with any player in FA coming up.. Sorry, saying someone getting top dollar now a days is more like a figure of speech these days

I'm not sure what you mean. Jonnu Smith IS hitting free agency. Matt Milano decided to sign a team friendly deal to stay with his team. Smith chose to test free agency.

Just now, PrimeTime101 said:

You got a thumbs up from me because your explaining why you feel this way instead of just saying no... or we cant afford it. As much as I disagree I respect your opinion. Just keep in mind.. There are plenty of contracts our GM can still renegotiate to get players in here. I think its possible.

Possible, yes and again -- I'd LOVE to see it. I just think the athletic TE is too big of a trend in the league right now for him to come to a team that has to do a whole bunch of cap karate to even get in the discussion, ya know? His agent's job is to get him top dollar, so he would have to really want to come to Buffalo, and I feel like we would've heard something about that by now. 

7 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

lol sorry for trying to bring some reality to the conversation. Perhaps I should've been more explicit (read: boring.) You can't sign everybody, teams have their priorities and I tend to believe that TE is low on this team's priority list. Lower, certainly, than CB, pass rush, DL, OL, WR, RB, KR/PR and probably backup QB. 

Yes contractual funny money sometimes exists in the NFL, but just because it *can* happen, doesn't mean Jonnu's up for that, won't get a better offer elsewhere, or we'll even try to do that (see priority comments above). 

I'll gladly be wrong, because I love Jonnu's game, but I don't see it here...

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

You got a thumbs up from me because your explaining why you feel this way instead of just saying no... or we cant afford it. As much as I disagree I respect your opinion. Just keep in mind.. There are plenty of contracts our GM can still renegotiate to get players in here. I think its possible. Dont want to keep reminding people of the name CLAY but remember the contract he got in tough times.

I don’t like this respectful discussion from 2 people on opposing sides, it’s really throwing me off!!

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, MJS said:

I'm not sure what you mean. Jonnu Smith IS hitting free agency. Matt Milano decided to sign a team friendly deal to stay with his team. Smith chose to test free agency.

drop it that he didnt hit FA.. Just consider the sources that everyone said he wanted top dollar. Some times its not about money its about wanting a ring!

2 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

I don’t like this respectful discussion from 2 people on opposing sides, it’s really throwing me off!!

Its refreshing.

Jonnu is a tough one. I watched him a ton last year because I had him and King Henry on my biggest money fantasy team.

Guys never had a 90 yard game. Seems to have good traits and does flash at times, but doesn't consistently contribute. Hard to tell if he is what he is, or if he has untapped potential as the Titans used him as a blocker a ton. 

23 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Our offense needs to change.  Keep it the same is a loser mentality.  Evolve.  Improve. Get better.  Become more multidimensional.  If we don’t, we’ll lose.  

that’s not to say that we need to spend big bucks on a TE, but our offense being so WR centric and losing John brown doesn’t bode well for “improving”.  We have to improve.  

Samuel, Curtis

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

drop it that he didnt hit FA.. Just consider the sources that everyone said he wanted top dollar. Some times its not about money its about wanting a ring!

But now that free agency is opening, it's pretty clear that Jonnu Smith is looking for a competitive offer. He can make a lot of money AND go to a contender.

I don't put much stock in rumors anyway. I never considered the Milano rumors to be anything substantial. But literally everyone was surprised we signed Milano. Why? Because 9 times out of 10, players like to test the market and sign as big a deal as they can. 

And if we are going to throw some money around, I'd rather they bring in a good corner or a good pass rusher. TE is not a huge priority for me. But it's up to Beane. He'll do what he thinks helps the team now and in the future. But I believe part of building a perennially successful team is to not give out big contracts in free agency, but to build through the draft.

The Bills have an opportunity to do that. They have a great core of players. They don't need to build through free agency anymore. They can focus on drafting and developing players. They can sign value free agents. Occasionally, for a very specific difference maker, they could overpay for a free agent, but that has to be balanced with a very sound cap strategy.

Edited by MJS
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, nbbillsfan said:

Jonnu is a tough one. I watched him a ton last year because I had him and King Henry on my biggest money fantasy team.

Guys never had a 90 yard game. Seems to have good traits and does flash at times, but doesn't consistently contribute. Hard to tell if he is what he is, or if he has untapped potential as the Titans used him as a blocker a ton. 

Titans attempted 485 passes last year (bottom 3rd of the league), Bills attempted 596 (3rd in the league). I'd have to assume he'd have more opportunity with us.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

But now that free agency is opening, it's pretty clear that Jonnu Smith is looking for a competitive offer. He can make a lot of money AND go to a contender.

I don't put much stock in rumors anyway. I never considered the Milano rumors to be anything substantial. But literally everyone was surprised we signed Milano. Why? Because 9 times out of 10, players like to test the market and sign as big a deal as they can. 

And if we are going to throw some money around, I'd rather they bring in a good corner or a good pass rusher. TE is not a huge priority for me. But it's up to Beane. He'll do what he thinks helps the team now and in the future. But I believe part of building a perennially successful team is to not give out big contracts in free agency, but to build through the draft.

The Bills have an opportunity to do that. They have a great core of players. They don't need to build through free agency anymore. They can focus on drafting and developing players. They can sign value free agents. Occasionally, for a very specific difference maker, they could overpay for a free agent, but that has to be balanced with a very sound cap strategy.

So I hear ya and you changed your tune on the money thing which is ok for me I guess but What corner or Pass rusher can we get for 8 mil or less (what people think Jonnu will get) that would be impactful ?

I’m getting a Charles Clay vibe. I don’t know if that’s off-base. They both seem like athletic undersized tight ends. 
Clay probably got paid more than what he was worth to the team those few seasons.

Clay also dealt with any issues. Bottom line, is John Smith on the rise, or have we already seen the best of him?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.