Cap impact of retirement?

34 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Dude had a major heart issue unearthed at combine.  That’s why he fell to mid first round.  Id imagine Covid made him re-assess the risk of playing.  I’d take it easy on him if he decides to retire.  

Ok fair enough didnt know that!  Retirement talk was giving me some Dareus vibes of being ok with just being ok.

• Like (+1) 1

If Star is going to retire, a big IF for sure, they could get creative in this and work the cap a little, I believe.  Take his base salary of $4.5M this year and convert it to signing bonus.  That pays him and he goes away, he loses $500k for roster and work out this year, which goes back to the Bills.  So that makes his (pro rated) signing bonus from $7.8M left towards the cap and makes it $12.3M. You designate him a post June 1 cut, spreading the cap hit out over the next 2 years and you get a cap hit of $6.15M this year in dead cap.  Assuming he’s not a completely horrible person, maybe, just maybe, he agrees to concede his guaranteed salary for 2022 of $2.5M and you carry that goes away.  If not, the hit next year sucks too. 

So there’s ways to make it work, but either he is going to be here and be a $7.6M cap hit or AT BEST he goes away for a little over $6M dead cap. 

it’s not a good spot for the Bills to be in, but the contract was a terrible one when they signed it, so no feeling bad for them when they have to deal with it.

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Seriously what a dirtball loser move if he does.... enjoy regretting your half-a career if you hang them up now.  Unless he has some personal stuff going on w/ family.  Ill never understand getting that far in a career and giving up 🤮

Did you say that about Keuchly as well?  And Jake Locker?

41 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

If Star is going to retire, a big IF for sure, they could get creative in this and work the cap a little, I believe.  Take his base salary of $4.5M this year and convert it to signing bonus.  That pays him and he goes away, he loses $500k for roster and work out this year, which goes back to the Bills.  So that makes his (pro rated) signing bonus from $7.8M left towards the cap and makes it $12.3M. You designate him a post June 1 cut, spreading the cap hit out over the next 2 years and you get a cap hit of $6.15M this year in dead cap.  Assuming he’s not a completely horrible person, maybe, just maybe, he agrees to concede his guaranteed salary for 2022 of $2.5M and you carry that goes away.  If not, the hit next year sucks too. 

So there’s ways to make it work, but either he is going to be here and be a $7.6M cap hit or AT BEST he goes away for a little over $6M dead cap. 

it’s not a good spot for the Bills to be in, but the contract was a terrible one when they signed it, so no feeling bad for them when they have to deal with it.

The OP question is whether salary is guaranteed against retirement ? 

I think it is not.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

If we get him working at one of the concession stands, does that not count against the cap?

I would be very concerned about having a big, hungry D line guy like Star working at the concession stand and the impact it would have on profitability.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think they would just IR him or cut him to avoid any major cap implications. Hoping he doesn’t retire as I would like to see this team have a true one tech.

cutting him has major cap implications

IR costs us a player and keeps his cap.

But this is really a thread to ask what the impact of retirement on guaranteed salary is?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, I am the egg man said:

Not if they volunteer.

I'm just trying to creatively finding a way to minimize his impact on the salary cap.  Belichick inspired me with his rules 'interpretations'...😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Wisdom from Costanza

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I didnt know about the heart thing, i was careful enough to throw in a disclaimer as to look less dumb 😆.  Keuchly makes sense and living in Panther country Im happy hell have a better quality of life after football. As for Locker, going off memory, he just didnt love the game anymore, so a little bit yes.  I just cant picture getting that far and letting hard work make me question my decisions later in life.  You cant ever get that back

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The OP question is whether salary is guaranteed against retirement ? 

I think it is not.

Was talking to @Doc about this. Salary is guaranteed. But team could try to recoup the bonuses. This is tough though cause if star is concerned about the team trying to recoup the bonuses he could just show up and try to get cut (so the team can’t get the bonuses back). 

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

True providing he’s willing to file the paperwork after June 1.

But even if the Bills don’t request repayment of his bonus, I think Joe B is mistaken that he gets his guaranteed salary this year if he hangs up his cleats

In an article about the Brees retirement, it is when the team files the paperwork not the announcement.