Bills run game in 2021

I think most Bills fans will agree that our run game in 2020 was a weak spot for the offense.  If Allen was not sure a prolific runner, our runnig game may have been in the bottom 5 in the league.  While some may blame the running backs, I think that the bulk of the blame goes to the O-Line and lack of holes being opened.

We've signed our O-Line starters (which I like to keep consistency) and have Cody Ford coming back, but with this group, how will be improve our running game?  Better backs might help, but I don't see alot of help without the O-line performing better.  How do we make that happen?  

I  guess they have to improve the technique.  You cannot expect to the do the same with the same players and expect a different result. 

I think some of the run game blame is due to the lack of confidence in our RBs.  

19 minutes ago, VirginiaMike said:

I think most Bills fans will agree that our run game in 2020 was a weak spot for the offense.  If Allen was not sure a prolific runner, our runnig game may have been in the bottom 5 in the league.  While some may blame the running backs, I think that the bulk of the blame goes to the O-Line and lack of holes being opened.

We've signed our O-Line starters (which I like to keep consistency) and have Cody Ford coming back, but with this group, how will be improve our running game?  Better backs might help, but I don't see alot of help without the O-line performing better.  How do we make that happen?  

Here's kinda where my mindset is at on this.  I think we have a good group in the backfield and am happy with our backs.  I believe that our o-line just needs to execute the play that is given.  Also, i truly believe that we couldn't get the ground game going due to the play calling.  While it was absolutely amazing seeing Josh to Diggs explode throughout the year, it's almost impossible to establish a good ground game if you're passing 50 times a game and only running the ball 10 times.  I honestly believe that a balanced play-calling attack will fix the ground game.

• Like (+1) 1

I for one am very happy they managed to resign the same guys up front. Even though the run game did struggle, it's not all on them. I think with the continuity and hopefully with a little different scheme with the possibility of another RB coming in, I have confidence the running game will improve.

All they really need is to show just some improvement, enough to show it is a solid threat and make teams respect it to some degree. If so, it will only make the passing game more dangerous than it already is. And Allen will always be a big threat to take off himself, although flip side of that is teams are well aware they have a fairly good chance he puts the ball on the ground.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, VirginiaMike said:

I think they missed on evaluating Singletary correctly...meaning they thought he was a better player then he is...Moss came on but got hurt...think they add another back with speed to the mix and another TE so they can run more two TE sets 

1 hour ago, VirginiaMike said:

The Bills offense finished #2 in the NFL in scoring last year, with 31.3 points per game (Green Bay was first with 31.8 points).

Yes.  Our O-Line struggled to open holes in the run game.

But they were also phenomenal in pass blocking, and giving Josh Allen plenty of time in the pocket.

In my mind, this goes back to the day we hired Rex Ryan.  At the time, our defense was among the best in the league.  In an effort to make our Top 5 unit into the #1 defense in the entire league, Ryan made a bunch of unnecessary scheme changes.  And ultimately, he ended up destroying what was already working.  

I understand the desire to be great at both running AND passing.  But is it really worth blowing up the #2 offense in the NFL, just so we can HOPE to improve our run blocking?  I've got no problem if Brandon Beane wants to add more offensive linemen or running backs in hopes of improving the rushing attack (we still have the rest of free agency and the draft).  At the very least, our blocking should be as good as last season.  And that's a good thing.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, VirginiaMike said:

Why not accept the fact that Singletary was so inept in the playoffs, with not running aggressively, dropping swing passes which were wide open against KC, and never breaking tackles. Why did the game plan have Josh in empty formations most of the time? They knew the running game was non existent and up until KC, the pass protection was great and Josh could win games without a running game other than QB designed runs. During the season Moss and Devin did just enough. 

Since we pass so much, the few times we run the ball should mean we catch the defence in a pass-protect formation. ... That didn't happen.  The reason is that our running backs were too slow to take advantage of all the space that was there for the taking.  Having Slingletary plod up the the line of scrimmage and then plod further on to get tackled in the open field,,, that does not work.  We need a RB with some speed and open field ability.

Jamaal Williams anyone?  Odd man out in GB with the Aaron Jones signing and draft capital spent on Dillon.  Upgrade to Singletary, catches the ball well, from a pass-first offense,  inside/outside runner, very good pass blocker, will not break the bank, 26 y.o..  Real chance to flash in this offense.

22 hours ago, VirginiaMike said:

We pass more TBH. Use your strengths and stop forcing the weakness.

Outside of OL, legit TE play could help a lot.  

If we are able to play 11 personnel and always be multiple, with a TE in the formation that can always block or release, that would add another layer to the offense we lacked last year.  

This could be done by development in Knox and/or the addition of another TE to the roster.  

As for the backs... I like Moss, and him becoming the feature back could help. 

This all assuming we don’t upgrade RB, which is the most obvious way to address this.  

22 hours ago, VirginiaMike said:

This is my biggest concern as well.  I do think getting Zach Moss back for his second year will help.  He seemed to be running better late in the season.  

I guess it’s possible that Ford could help in the run game at guard as well