CB in 1st round

GLP

31 minutes ago, Special K said:

I mentioned him earlier in the thread, but thought he might last into the fourth round....may have to be a consideration at pick 93.

I was wondering if anybody had a read on Elijah Molden from Washington....is he a good fit for the Bills D?? He’s not a “Junior”, but his father is former Saints CB Alex Molden. He looks like a late second to early third round pick.

I'm biased against Molden in 2 ways. I prefer bigger DBs -- especially with Tre on the small side, and his dad was the duck legend and he chose to join the wrongest team in the nation.

Those aside... great kid, very intelligent, good ball skills and instincts -- maybe a touch overagressive there, tough and not afraid of helping in the run game, plenty good enough speed to belong in the league, but probably will test as an average athlete, solid man and zone chops but probably better suited in man, the type of footwork and balance you'd expect from the kid of a former NFL DB, VERY confident without being cocky. His size and lack of elite length for that size will be his biggest detriment. If you can match him up against bigger/longer/box-out types, he'll have trouble.

I think he'll have a good pro career but probably will never be great. I think he's primarily a slot guy in our scheme (when opposite Tre), so probably not the best fit, but as a player I think he's going to be solid.

31 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I don't think that there are that many top corners available this year, but I fully agree that if the Bills once again go down this road, they should trade down and get more picks. 

Even though doing this was a disaster last time around, it would still be the right move if we go in this rather awful direction.

This is an interesting take, we're going to agree to disagree on CBs... I see at least 10 CBs that would walk right into that #2 cb spot...

Edited by glazeduck
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I don't think that there are that many top corners available this year, but I fully agree that if the Bills once again go down this road, they should trade down and get more picks. 

Even though doing this was a disaster last time around, it would still be the right move if we go in this rather awful direction.

So the odd thing is (and yes I know mock drafts are useless) that when the Bills pick - there are some big names for positions we don't need or don't really fit what we need. A lot of players will push other prospects down the board - especially in round 1 where QBs tend to get taken at a higher rate. If we don't value the top prospects on the big board at the time we pick - I assume we move down to get some ability to move back forward in later rounds. I think Beane really likes having the ability to move forward and backwards to get specific players if possible.

Unlike previous years where we were desperately trying to fill holes on the roster and trying to field at least average players - this year our draft will tell us exactly how the FO feels about specific positions (are the needs, are they starters this year, are we stashing them for contracts coming do 1-2-3 years from now). FA has, at least to me, shown the the FO thinks we were a lot closer than what many might have thought, to being a SB winner. It is entirely possible that they feel we simply had our worst showing 3 weeks in a row and experience was all we needed to grow for our next run. CB 2 is a need - but if we don't draft a CB high this year, I would assume the coaches think Dane is better than Levi (Levi being a slightly above average corner that we could do a lot worse than). If we get DE - I assume it's someone we really fell in love with talent/skill wise. A personal favorite pick in mock draft sims is Zaven Collins but I don't know how married we are to our overwhelming use of 2 LB sets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/15/2021 at 10:05 AM, GunnerBill said:

I have Samuel on the 2nd/3rd round borderline. My view on the corner group is there is a top two - Surtain and Farley who ware top 10 payers. Then there is a second two which is Horn and Newsome. Then there is a gap. I only have two pure 2nd round grades - Tyson Campbell out of Georgia and Kelvin Joseph out of Kentucky. Then Samuel is my CB7 on that borderline. I think there is a cluster just behind Samuel - Melifonwu (who may well go sooner but I have a 3rd on), Aaron Robinson from UCF, Eric Stokes from Georgia and Pauslon Adebo from Stanford. 

Same here Gunner. I think this post is spot on

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think everyone agrees we need to address the CB2 & DE positions. I feel another sneaky need is a backup 1 technique. If Star isn’t ready to play or his play isn’t up to par I don’t have faith in horrible Harry or Butler to give us Championship level play. And this will hurt Ed Oliver and the LB’s overall play. I hope we can get a solid vet at a decent price or address the back up 1 technique with a day two pick. Important

• Agree 2

Everyone keeps saying DE. But is there going to be a DE worthy of taking at 30 who will be better than the guys we have? 

Very doubtful especially in a weak class. 

Edited by DJB

21 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

I think everyone agrees we need to address the CB2 & DE positions. I feel another sneaky need is a backup 1 technique. If Star isn’t ready to play or his play isn’t up to par I don’t have faith in horrible Harry or Butler to give us Championship level play. And this will hurt Ed Oliver and the LB’s overall play. I hope we can get a solid vet at a decent price or address the back up 1 technique with a day two pick. Important

I couldn't agree with this post more. 

I want us to draft Paulson Adebo. He would be a top three corner in this draft if he hadn't sat the season out due to covid. He is scheme versatile. Would be a great fit for our Defense imo. 

Edited by dje85

On 3/15/2021 at 7:38 AM, GLP said:

Bills should target Asante Samuel Jr. in 1st round. I'm all about pedigree when drafting. We should have drafted Clay Matthews instead of Aaron Mabin in 2009 (Ouch). 

There is also Newsome and Horn! Both ballers and agressive.

8 hours ago, 97bills said:

If you have a great pass rush any corners will look good. We need edge rusher!!!! Please 

The view in the league now is that if you have great corners, they tend to make the d-line look better than it is. CBs are more valued than d-line these days given how quick good qbs get rid of the ball now. Last year alone, 5 CBs were drafted in the first round and 2 DEs.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The view in the league now is that if you have great corners, they tend to make the d-line look better than it is. CBs are more valued than d-line these days given how quick good qbs get rid of the ball now. Last year alone, 5 CBs were drafted in the first round and 2 DEs.

I don’t no about that you can have great corners and if your d-line isn’t getting there it won’t matter someone is getting open. The less time a corner has to cover the better. But I guess they both go hand in hand. I guess I’m greedy I want both lol 

It would;t surprise me if they went for a DB in the first because the longer the secondary keeps the WR covered the more the front 7 can get at the QB but i could see them hopefully for a proven DE to get pressure on the QB 1 helps the other !!