CB in 1st round

GLP

2 hours ago, GLP said:

Bills should target Asante Samuel Jr. in 1st round. I'm all about pedigree when drafting. We should have drafted Clay Matthews instead of Aaron Mabin in 2009 (Ouch). 

Secondary and oline are very deep this year I’d definitely grab CB but you can get a pretty good one later on in the draft...I’d still give Josh another weapon with the first pick 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

CB might be an option for our first pick if we trade back, but I don't see a reasonable value at 30... Fairley, Horn and Surtain are the clear top 3 and all will likely be long gone by 30. From there there's a fairly wide gap and then another grouping of bigger CBs that would all fit our system well -- all or many likely available at the bottom of 2: Adebo (my preference), Newsome, Melifonwu, Keith Taylor, Stokes (his 40 will push him up draft boards but I don't love him for us anyway) and Shaun Wade.

To the OP, there's a bunch of guys I like in the 3rd more than Samuel too: St. Juste, Mukuwamu, Joseph, Campbell.

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Antoine Winfield never lived up to his draft status?? He made the pro bowl 3 times and was first team all-pro one year. That means top 2 CB in the league. He had a 14 year career in which he was known as being a great CB for almost all of them. It's not his fault Ralph refused to pay him.

Sheesh. You guys forget quickly.

Tremendous for the Vikings, great tackler for the Bills.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I don’t mind taking a flyer on a guy in the late rounds, but y’all seriously want a guy in the first 2 rounds w/ the holes we have on this team? Pass rusher is what we need so this defense can go back to top form. 

why is CB not a hole that we need to fill?

Levi isn’t that good.  We have no clue if Dane is good.  Injuries happen all the time (Tre’davious, Norman, Wallace and Dan all

missed games last season).

Yes, pass rush needs to be upgraded.....but so does CB2.  It IS a hole and if CB is BPA in any round when we pick, they should definitely be considered.  It’s a passing league and corners are vital.  Not sure if there are any pass rushers in the draft that will make an instant impact 

If CB is BPA at #30 the Bills will pull the trigger. I highly doubt they will reach if a CB does not line up on their draft board. With that said, it seems like a couple of games last year we got really thin at CB so taking one in the draft somewhere seems highly likely.

2 hours ago, VirginiaMike said:

I'm Ok with a CB, but I'd rather see Jaycee Horn from South Carolina over Samual although I am not sure he'll still be there at pick 30

I like Horn as well, but I doubt he will make it to 30.

The Bills could trade down a few spots, pick up an extra third and draft Newsome II, or take a mid-round flier on a guy like Paulson Adebo.

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Sounds like a great idea!!!

It makes NO sense to stop doing something that has worked out so well for us in previous drafts.

I request live video of you during the draft. 🤯

i really don’t want a corner either but you do realize it’s an entirely different nfl where passing records are set every week? You kinda need guys to cover people.

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Antoine Winfield never lived up to his draft status?? He made the pro bowl 3 times and was first team all-pro one year. That means top 2 CB in the league. He had a 14 year career in which he was known as being a great CB for almost all of them. It's not his fault Ralph refused to pay him.

Sheesh. You guys forget quickly.

The old man was a safety, not a cb.  He was not the impact player we should have gotten w a #1. (to small)

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have Samuel on the 2nd/3rd round borderline. My view on the corner group is there is a top two - Surtain and Farley who ware top 10 payers. Then there is a second two which is Horn and Newsome. Then there is a gap. I only have two pure 2nd round grades - Tyson Campbell out of Georgia and Kelvin Joseph out of Kentucky. Then Samuel is my CB7 on that borderline. I think there is a cluster just behind Samuel - Melifonwu (who may well go sooner but I have a 3rd on), Aaron Robinson from UCF, Eric Stokes from Georgia and Pauslon Adebo from Stanford. 

How do you weight Melifonwu's very recently over-drafted bust of a brother against Melifonwu 2.0?

Sometimes there seems to be a correlation,   sometimes there isn't.........but those two are pretty similar athletes.

When you see something like Star Lotulelei playing balls out in his rookie year and then cruise controlling and cashing checks for the rest of it (and then opting out knowing his $ was guaranteed)..........and seeing his bro decide not to play in the NFL when he wasn't lined up for a big rookie contract like Star.......perhaps sometimes the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

29 minutes ago, NewEra said:

why is CB not a hole that we need to fill?

Levi isn’t that good.  We have no clue if Dane is good.  Injuries happen all the time (Tre’davious, Norman, Wallace and Dan all

missed games last season).

Yes, pass rush needs to be upgraded.....but so does CB2.  It IS a hole and if CB is BPA in any round when we pick, they should definitely be considered.  It’s a passing league and corners are vital.  Not sure if there are any pass rushers in the draft that will make an instant impact 

CB at the end of the first this draft may be the better value pick at a blue chip position. Not as important of a position as DE, but important. IMO

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

CB at the end of the first this draft may be the better value pick at a blue chip position. Not as important of a position as DE, but important. IMO

Definitely.  Beane out has again put himself in position to draft BPA, rather than drafting for need.  

4 hours ago, GLP said:

Bills should target Asante Samuel Jr. in 1st round. I'm all about pedigree when drafting. We should have drafted Clay Matthews instead of Aaron Mabin in 2009 (Ouch). 

We should have drafted Brian Orakapo instead of Maybin. Not sure if I'd take Samuel over Newsome. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

How do you weight Melifonwu's very recently over-drafted bust of a brother against Melifonwu 2.0?

Sometimes there seems to be a correlation,   sometimes there isn't.........but those two are pretty similar athletes.

When you see something like Star Lotulelei playing balls out in his rookie year and then cruise controlling and cashing checks for the rest of it (and then opting out knowing his $ was guaranteed)..........and seeing his bro decide not to play in the NFL when he wasn't lined up for a big rookie contract like Star.......perhaps sometimes the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I try and not read too much of one into the other, but I do think they are similar athletes with similar skillsets and so when you are thinking about how that transitions it is hard not to think about his brother, not because he is his brother but because there is a guy with a similar skillset and athletic profile from a recent draft who didn't translate. 

I like the younger Melinfonwu as a potential convert to safety. That to me is his best chance of having a long NFL career. 

Unless the Bills can add a prime pass rusher (which I doubt due to the cap situation) I think they need to desperately add a pass rusher at pick 30. I wouldn't hate grabbing a corner in round 2 but for round 1 they should be targeting a pass rusher.

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Unless the Bills can add a prime pass rusher (which I doubt due to the cap situation) I think they need to desperately add a pass rusher at pick 30. I wouldn't hate grabbing a corner in round 2 but for round 1 they should be targeting a pass rusher.

What about if there isn't one ranked in that range on their board? 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What about if there isn't one ranked in that range on their board? 

That's the question of value which is a respectable conversation to have and corner is not a tragic place to spend a pick if it is of overwhelming value and a pass rusher or catcher of respectable value isn't there. I don't believe in BPA in a vacuum nor do I believe in drafting for need in a vacuum. You take into account your needs and who is on the board. Just going off need pass rusher is the number one need this team currently has followed by adding a pass catcher in my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

That's the question of value which is a respectable conversation to have and corner is not a tragic place to spend a pick if it is of overwhelming value and a pass rusher or catcher of respectable value isn't there. I don't believe in BPA in a vacuum nor do I believe in drafting for need in a vacuum. You take into account your needs and who is on the board. Just going off need pass rusher is the number one need this team currently has followed by adding a pass catcher in my opinion. 

I agree pass rusher is the greatest need. I just don't expect there to be a day one difference maker there at #30 who fits this scheme. Maybe someone like Joseph Ossai who they are scouting is, but he is a bit of a project for a team like the Bills because he needs a LOT of work as a down lineman. I'm fine with taking him, he is a high ceiling guy. I just don't know that he is that missing piece for 2021. Azeez Ojulari could get there, he again is not a natural scheme fit and is a bit smaller than Ossai which means I am more concerned about his ability to transition even in the longer term. I don't think a guy like Carlos Basham is worth a first round pick but if they went that route he is a bigger end who is going to play the run and be stout at the point of attack but who I don't really see as a dynamic pass rusher. 

So the question you have to ask is if there is a high ceiling guy at another premium position who is a more natural scheme fit for this team then should the Bills prioritise their need over someone who could make more impact immediately and still have that long term difference making potential? It's tough and being at #30 it is too hard to predict how the board will fall in front of them and what their options will look like. But if they are saying "Edge at #30, no matter what" that is the wrong approach. I am very sure that is not the way they are looking at it.