CB in 1st round

GLP

14 hours ago, appoo said:

Would be a hard no for me. I like BPA, but within reason and also when you don't have any holes to fill.

Right now, I think the bills will enter the draft with two significant holes, and two weaknesses, one of which they may or may not have an answer in house for.

Holes:

1) Premier EDGE rusher. I don't see how they fill this at this point, without a trade and extend deal, such as Danielle Hunter. You could go out and sign someone like Lawson, Hassan Reddick, Ngukue (sp?), or Clowney - but you can't really justify them as being legit upgrades over both Hughes and Addison, which is what you're looking for. I would have said that about Watt or Shaq, but those guys aren't available anymore. Bills also aren't going to find this player by drafting someone at 30.

2) TE. This one I think they can fill by staying at 30, but it's basically Pat Friermuth or not at all, as there just aren't enough 1st round caliber TEs this year. Fry would be an excellent fit though, as he's got the size and athletecism to be an elite combo TE. He's not a guy that's going to run past defenders, but he's got great hands, very nimble, and will punish defenders running with the ball, and he's got a pretty good understanding of running routes. He's also got all the tools you'd want in an elite run blocking TE - something he didn't have to do too much of at Penn State, as they often had him running routes instead. If they can't get Fry, then they probably run with the what they have. Mix and Match Dawson and Lee Smith depending on match up and game plan.

Weaknesses:

1) #2 corner. Levi Wallace is probably an average #2 corner, and there's potential for Dane Jackson to surpass him. But this isn't so weak that you invest a first rounder on.

2) Speed WR. Here you have some options Kadarius Toney, Tutu Atwell, Rondale Moore, etc would be interesting picks at 61 or 94. Maybe someone like Kenny Stills. I know MLJ has been ban hammering away for Travis Etienne and he might be an interesting speed prospect as well

What if Levi is not back? If he isn't CB2 is the biggest hole in the starting lineup.

21 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I don’t mind taking a flyer on a guy in the late rounds, but y’all seriously want a guy in the first 2 rounds w/ the holes we have on this team? Pass rusher is what we need so this defense can go back to top form. 

Bills didnt tender Levi Wallace so, Corner IS a hole to fill

21 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

HIs old m an never lived up to his draft status.....

I really hate that somehow a players career is stained because he didn't do something some analyst hack thought he could do.

Players can't be held responsible for where they are drafted, they don't control that. If they were an above average NFL player at their position that's all that should matter.

On 3/15/2021 at 8:52 AM, glazeduck said:

CB might be an option for our first pick if we trade back, but I don't see a reasonable value at 30... Fairley, Horn and Surtain are the clear top 3 and all will likely be long gone by 30. From there there's a fairly wide gap and then another grouping of bigger CBs that would all fit our system well -- all or many likely available at the bottom of 2: Adebo (my preference), Newsome, Melifonwu, Keith Taylor, Stokes (his 40 will push him up draft boards but I don't love him for us anyway) and Shaun Wade.

To the OP, there's a bunch of guys I like in the 3rd more than Samuel too: St. Juste, Mukuwamu, Joseph, Campbell.

Adebo killed his pro day today: 

Height: 6’1″

Weight: 198 lbs

Forty-Yard Dash: 4.42 Seconds

Vertical Jump: 36.5″

Broad Jump: 10’1″

Three-Cone Drill: 6.7 Seconds

Twenty-Yard Shuttle: 4.09 Seconds

Bench Press: 18 Reps at 225 lbs

I think fans are sleeping on him. He'll go earlier than most think. His tape from a few years ago showed HIGH HIGH end talent...

Edited by glazeduck
  • Like (+1) 3

Nonsense! Haven't you heard, we re-signed Levi Wallace. CB2 is the least of our concerns. Well, at least that's how many posters here feel😒

It's tiring reading how many here are content with mediocrity. Always reading the old adage, " well you can't have an All Pro at every position". Duh! 

We can do better than Levi and not break the bank. I don't hate him I just feel he's nothing more than good depth. Just because he beats out the dead weight brought in to compete against doesn't make him starting caliber. JMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Nonsense! Haven't you heard, we re-signed Levi Wallace. CB2 is the least of our concerns. Well, at least that's how many posters here feel😒

It's tiring reading how many here are content with mediocrity. Always reading the old adage, " well you can't have an All Pro at every position". Duh! 

We can do better than Levi and not break the bank. I don't hate him I just feel he's nothing more than good depth. Just because he beats out the dead weight brought in to compete against doesn't make him starting caliber. JMHO.

I get both sides of it... You want to love and support your guys, even if they're lesser than, and Wallace is a great story, so it'd be cool to see him succeed. Add to that that he performed admirably -- sometimes even well -- last season, and I'm not sure going into next season with him as CB2 would be cause to call it a year or anything like that. 

That said, yes, I definitely think he (and certainly Dane Jackson) can be upgraded. The good news is, our needs are shrinking by the day and there's a TON of CB talent between the FA pool and incoming draft class to help there. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think Beane is once again setting us up so that we don't feel like we're forced to reach for a need in the draft and can instead see what talent falls to us. Having said that, I do still think Joseph Ossai for example has the traits that Beane likes in a prospect.

As a Syracuse fan, I'm definitely rooting for Melifonwu to be an early selection. I don't think I'd take him at #30 personally, but he'd be my choice with our 2nd round pick if he's still around at that point. Like Adebo, he killed his pro day today. 6'2.5", 4.48 40, 41.5" vert, 11'2" broad jump; he's an athletic freak like his bust of a brother was. I suppose in a relatively weak CB draft at the top, a guy with his traits and flashes could potentially sneak into the 1st round.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I think Beane is once again setting us up so that we don't feel like we're forced to reach for a need in the draft and can instead see what talent falls to us. Having said that, I do still think Joseph Ossai for example has the traits that Beane likes in a prospect.

As a Syracuse fan, I'm definitely rooting for Melifonwu to be an early selection. I don't think I'd take him at #30 personally, but he'd be my choice with our 2nd round pick if he's still around at that point. Like Adebo, he killed his pro day today. 6'2.5", 4.48 40, 41.5" vert, 11'2" broad jump; he's an athletic freak like his bust of a brother was. I suppose in a relatively weak CB draft at the top, a guy with his traits and flashes could potentially sneak into the 1st round.

Almost posted basically the exact same comment but it got too wordy lol

Basically our "needs" are now: CB2, pass-rusher, NT, IOL, TE, RB and really none of them are dire (hence the parentheses). And maybe the best thing about each of those needs is that they can be depth/developmental needs -- not guys we're going to need to be stars right away.

So while I'd LOOOOOVE an Ossai/Phillips/Paye, if we have to settle for more of a situational pass-rusher in the 5th (I've got my eye on Rashad Weaver and Kaindoh) -- a guy that might take a year or two to round out his game -- we can afford to do that. Same situation at RB, while you'd love an Ettiene, if you have to settle for a Kylin Hill or Jermar Jefferson, that guy's not going to need to tote the rock 25 times to start the season. Ditto for TE, NT, etc.

I think it's perfectly okay to lean into the fact that we're really good already and can draft for ceiling, rather than immediate impact.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/15/2021 at 3:20 PM, I'm Spartacus said:

How old are you? Antoine Winfield was an pro bowl CORNERBACK and one of the surest tacklers in the NFL!

I actually understand how some Bills fans might think Winfield wasn’t that great. He was a good player with us, but he didn’t become an all around great player before going to the Vikings. We never saw his full potential realized in Buffalo. Instead, we’d go on to draft corners in the first round year after year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I actually understand how some Bills fans might think Winfield wasn’t that great. He was a good player with us, but he didn’t become an all around great player before going to the Vikings. We never saw his full potential realized in Buffalo. Instead, we’d go on to draft corners in the first round year after year. 

Yes sir...Buffalo was a training camp for 1st round CB's. Play out their contracts and then gone!

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/15/2021 at 7:38 AM, GLP said:

Bills should target Asante Samuel Jr. in 1st round. I'm all about pedigree when drafting. We should have drafted Clay Matthews instead of Aaron Mabin in 2009 (Ouch). 

not gonna happen - Adoree Jackson and Kyle Fuller are available for less than 10 mill aav - so why "waste a #1 on a CB this year" but I do like Asante Samuel Jr

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

1 hour ago, glazeduck said:

Adebo killed his pro day today: 

Height: 6’1″

Weight: 198 lbs

Forty-Yard Dash: 4.42 Seconds

Vertical Jump: 36.5″

Broad Jump: 10’1″

Three-Cone Drill: 6.7 Seconds

Twenty-Yard Shuttle: 4.09 Seconds

Bench Press: 18 Reps at 225 lbs

I think fans are sleeping on him. He'll go earlier than most think. His tape from a few years ago showed HIGH HIGH end talent...

I mentioned him earlier in the thread, but thought he might last into the fourth round....may have to be a consideration at pick 93.

I was wondering if anybody had a read on Elijah Molden from Washington....is he a good fit for the Bills D?? He’s not a “Junior”, but his father is former Saints CB Alex Molden. He looks like a late second to early third round pick.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

Depending on how the board falls - if we are going for CB with our first pick - theres a good chance we trade back before selecting. There are a good number of CBs in the draft

I don't think that there are that many top corners available this year, but I fully agree that if the Bills once again go down this road, they should trade down and get more picks. 

Even though doing this was a disaster last time around, it would still be the right move if we go in this rather awful direction.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/15/2021 at 8:45 AM, Frez said:

We definitely could use a couple corners out of this years draft. I’m all for that! 

I totally agree.

People are focusing on acquiring an edge rusher to help the pass rush---adding another great cover CB can have the same effect.

8 minutes ago, Special K said:

I mentioned him earlier in the thread, but thought he might last into the fourth round....may have to be a consideration at pick 93.

I was wondering if anybody had a read on Elijah Molden from Washington....is he a good fit for the Bills D?? He’s not a “Junior”, but his father is former Saints CB Alex Molden. He looks like a late second to early third round pick.

Molden is an interesting player in my view. Great instincts and play diagnosis, good tackler/run defender for the position, and a ballhawk who keeps his eyes in the backfield. Think he was a bit of a Swiss Army knife in college playing inside or outside, but he's a bit undersized for the NFL so probably a nickel guy at this level. 

Don't think he'll be a star b/c he lacks elite length/speed, but should be a solid starter for someone. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I totally agree.

People are focusing on acquiring an edge rusher to help the pass rush---adding another great cover CB can have the same effect.

No a CB is not equal to a DE. You can’t cover any great receiver for 5 seconds if there is no rush. You can however cover most anyone for 2 seconds if you have a strong rush.