How the Chiefs use Travis Kelce to make him unstoppable

Old Coot

26 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think the Wonderlic is important.   I think pro football is about scheme and coaching, and the smart guys who can thing fast are important for coaches to have on the field.  Josh had a high Wonderlic - I think it's particularly important for QBs.   The announcers say that one thing that makes Kelce so valuable is that he's a former QB and thinks like one.  

So, I think brains are important part of Knox's game, if he's going to be a success.  

Shaw,, I respect the %$#@^%$&^%& out of you lol... BUT... You can have all the football smarts in the world and have the best Wonderlic score out there and still be a bad player.. you know this, I know this.  In reverse players with horrible Wonderlic scores have been GREAT players. This is not even debatable. 

7 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Shaw,, I respect the %$#@^%$&^%& out of you lol... BUT... You can have all the football smarts in the world and have the best Wonderlic score out there and still be a bad player.. you know this, I know this.  In reverse players with horrible Wonderlic scores have been GREAT players. This is not even debatable. 

It works both ways - some great players do it with talent, some do it with brains.  Brady and Fitzpatrick, for example, are two of the least physically gifted players in the league.  Jimmy Leonhard couldn't compare physically with safeties around the league, but he played forwith brains for ten years.  

McBeane want smart players.   I'm sure Knox's Wonderlic was one of the positives they saw in him when they drafted him.   Whether he makes it as a serious threat, of course, depends on more than just brains.   He has to catch the ball consistently, among other things.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, dorquemada said:

More than anything I think Knox needs time in seat, as we say.  He was barely targeted in college, and has only had 1 training camp in the pros.  I hope he's working on his hands this offseason, whatever the TE equivalent of Jordan Palmer is

Sounds a lot like Josh doesn’t it? Didn’t get major big time reps until the pros ?? Might just need to marinade a bit more.... 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

It works both ways - some great players do it with talent, some do it with brains.  Brady and Fitzpatrick, for example, are two of the least physically gifted players in the league.  Jimmy Leonhard couldn't compare physically with safeties around the league, but he played forwith brains for ten years.  

McBeane want smart players.   I'm sure Knox's Wonderlic was one of the positives they saw in him when they drafted him.   Whether he makes it as a serious threat, of course, depends on more than just brains.   He has to catch the ball consistently, among other things.  

you made my point. Works both ways.

On 3/15/2021 at 9:30 PM, Shaw66 said:

I think both of you are saying the same thing.

Having a high Wonderlic doesn't automatically equate to high "football intelligence."

But it's a likely indicator for ability to learn and get to a high football intelligence.

(Conversely having a low Wonderlic doesn't mean no football smarts; that may be where they are a genius.)

Kelce being a former QB means he was ahead of some players in already acquired football intelligence, especially the receiver-QB sync.

The football smarts at the pro level are hard enough to pick up for players who've played a position for 8-10 years prior to the pros. As we all know, Knox wasn't use as a pass-catching TE at all in college, and even as a TE period he's pretty new to the game.

Bottom line: He didn't arrive with the TE football smarts, but his evaluation indicates he can acquire them.

It's been two years. It's time to show that's true.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/15/2021 at 7:58 AM, dorquemada said:

More than anything I think Knox needs time in seat, as we say.  He was barely targeted in college, and has only had 1 training camp in the pros.  I hope he's working on his hands this offseason, whatever the TE equivalent of Jordan Palmer is

I don't know - maybe its like a "chicken or the egg" thing.

Maybe Knox can't catch because they did not throw him many balls in college...

OR

Maybe Knox can't catch SO they did not throw him many balls in college!

Actually, I am surprised Allen gives him as many chances as he has. Does Allen have to second guess throwing the ball Knox's way?