Taysom Hill gets $140 million over 4 years

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Big C said:

But why the $140million part? Where does that number come from?

Its a notional number in the extension. Basically he's still on a 1 year deal, but the Saints would have a dead cap hit for another 4 if he leaves. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It just seems like it should be illegal right? Why not just add voidable years to every contract? Maybe limit voidable years to 2 years or something. 

Because you hurt your future cap position if you do. You are spreading the cost not avoiding it. 

Just seems like a creative way to take a $12 million cap hit for next season and make it $4 million next season and $8 million the following season. That’s about all.

If he sucks next season and they cut him, they get an $8 million dead cap hit the following year, but I’m sure they’re expecting him to stick around. They’ll just have to do another contract at that point.

• Like (+1) 1

At first I thought this was a bad joke, buts pure saints once again kicking the can down the road.  Winston will probably start.  Now that his eyes are fixed, maybe he makes better decisions.  I doubt it, but just one more reasons the Bucs aregoing

to own the south if they can find the $ for Barrett.

8 hours ago, T master said:

I'm with you if this guy can get this kind of cash with out having a for real arm & is nothing but legs Josh is drooling because if this guy got this kind of cash Josh will easily got Mahomes money ..

Sure QB's are the most important player on the field but dam these contracts are ridiculous !! JMHO .

Do you actually think he plays under that higher rate?

the guys getting 12m for his qb play to day, and even that’s probably high but they didn’t want to eat dead money 

7 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

Its a notional number in the extension. Basically he's still on a 1 year deal, but the Saints would have a dead cap hit for another 4 if he leaves. 

Because you hurt your future cap position if you do. You are spreading the cost not avoiding it. 

Just to clarify, the number of voidable years is designed to spread MORE of the cap hit to the future, not spread it over four more years.  All future hits will accelerate into next season once the years are voided.

56 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Do you actually think he plays under that higher rate?

the guys getting 12m for his qb play to day, and even that’s probably high but they didn’t want to eat dead money 

I would hope not ... From what i saw last season he's not worth $12 a yr he's a RB in QB clothing .

11 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

It’s a one year, $12.159M contract restructure.  The rest is just pretend money.  I think it was a joke by NO and Hill. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/taysom-hill-22021/

That's 2 million more than they paid him for 5 years on his rookie contract.  And how will they pay Brees's replacement as starter?

14 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This sounds like one of those old poison pill contracts. Bills should do this with Josh Allen before the NFL bans them. 

Give Josh an 8 year deal that's really a 4 year deal just to spread the cap hits out. 

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This is just an accounting move folks. Nothing to see here.

Why would the NFL ban them? 

Banning something like this would not be precedent setting. The escalator clause was a big source of controversy in Will Wolford' contract. Bills would have matched the dollar amount but the escalator portion would have cost a lot more for the Bills than the colts. They were banned following the Wolford contract but it was allowed to stand. From his grave Ralph is still trying to get a draft pick for this one. 

"Wolford would get the difference between his $2.55 million salary and the salary of his highest-paid offensive teammate, in 1993 and '94, and the team's highest-paid non-quarterback in '95, added twice to his base pay."

https://buffalonews.com/news/bills-fighting-escalator-clause-in-wolfords-offer-from-colts/article_a712fb07-511f-5cb7-8dfd-4a525625236e.html

32 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's 2 million more than they paid him for 5 years on his rookie contract.  And how will they pay Brees's replacement as starter?

He actually got a (ridiculous IMO) 2 year deal last season. $21M total with around $17M of that guaranteed.  OTC has a nice write up on that deal and this last one.  I have no idea why they would’ve given him that last contract, but it made this rework necessary to spread out his cap hit.

The Saints are really doing everything they can to hold onto their young talent.  The more expensive older players are being released.  They’re taking their cap punishment this season and next for extending their playoffs window with Brees.  It will be interesting to see where they find their next QB.  I’m sure they’ll take one in this year’s draft somewhere and go from there. 

• Like (+1) 1

There are some people on this board who clearly don't understand how NFL contracts work.

The Saints aren't avoiding the salary cap, or doing anything brilliant/genius that other teams can't do. 

Taysom Hill's contract is basically a 1 year deal, with the cap hit spread over two seasons.  

About $128 million in his contract is Monopoly money.  It's fake and he will never see it.  If the Saints decide to keep him around past 2021, the current contract will be voided and renegotiated.  And if he's not brought back, they will have $8 million in dead money.

So far this offseason, the Saints have been forced to release about 8 contracted players (mostly starters) from their roster.  That isn't counting the retirement of Drew Brees, or the multiple free agents they will be unable to re-sign.  They were also forced to restructure the contracts of another half-dozen players on the team, and needed to franchise tag Marcus Williams to keep him on the roster (instead of giving him a long-term deal).  All of this was done just to keep them from having a negative cap number when the league year starts Wednesday afternoon.  They still have no money to sign new players, and have pretty much exhausted their ability to restructure existing contracts.

At the end of the day, the Saints were able to extend their window as a contender until Brees finally called it quits.  They did this through a mix of excellent drafting and pushing back the cap hits on contracts.  No doubt it was a very smart strategy by their front office.  But the idea it was never going to catch up with them is nonsense.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1