Taysom Hill gets $140 million over 4 years

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It just seems like it should be illegal right? Why not just add voidable years to every contract? Maybe limit voidable years to 2 years or something. 

For contract rules to be changed it needs either the owners or the players to want it. I don't see why either would want to make this change.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It just seems like it should be illegal right? Why not just add voidable years to every contract? Maybe limit voidable years to 2 years or something. 

They are handy for something like this year where Covid has reduced the salary cap.  Just like anything else teams can get into trouble with them if they overuse them.

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Voidable years in contracts are used to delay cap hits.  Let’s say you have a player on a 1 year, $12M deal. That’s a $12M cap hit that season.  But if your team wants to delay some of that cap hit, they can make it a 5 year deal with 4 years that automatically void.  One structure is 5 years with a $10M signing bonus and $2M salaries in every year.  Now it’s a 5 year, $20M contract that automatically voids to 1 year, $12M.  But the cap hits would be $4M in year one and $8M in year two.

yeah no I get that part. I think I’m confused because of the $140million part. But I’m guessing this is the Saints’ GM appeasing Sean Payton without making a real commitment to Taysom.

Just now, Big C said:

yeah no I get that part. I think I’m confused because of the $140million part. But I’m guessing this is the Saints’ GM appeasing Sean Payton without making a real commitment to Taysom.

I think it was a joke

All years after year one are voidable. Basically a one year commitment to Hill with 3 one year options. The Saints really have no shame in circumventing the salary cap. 

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Saints are geniuses. They are over the cap by like $100M every year, and still sign all the big free agents. 

They basically just keep kicking the can down the road as far as dead money. It is smart and at worst you just bag one year eat a bunch of dead money and rebuild. 

5 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Saints are geniuses. They are over the cap by like $100M every year, and still sign all the big free agents. 

The only signing they have done is a franchise tag.  They have lost a bunch of players and are still over the cap.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This sounds like one of those old poison pill contracts. Bills should do this with Josh Allen before the NFL bans them. 

Give Josh an 8 year deal that's really a 4 year deal just to spread the cap hits out. 

The cap space comes due eventually. You can only kick the can so far down the road. 

Like I said a few times, teams know that this cap decrease is one, maybe two year blip. Teams expect the cap to go up, way up in the coming years. $250 million is a number that has been thrown out. Teams are just getting creative and pushing cap hits down the road.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

I don’t like these kinds of deals.  When you blatantly laugh at the process, the process tends to change.  

I fear this could ruin team’s flexibility to re-work deals

I agree and kind of mocks the whole purpose of the cap to begin with.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

every contract is voidable without penalty as long as you don’t have future year guarantees. 

you are getting hung up on the word and neglecting to think of the concept. 
dude just signed a 3 year extension essentially and has a signing bonus but not guaranteed salary.

1 hour ago, Big C said:

Could be that too! But that is starting QB money and I can totally see Sean Payton trying to convince the FO that Taysom is their guy.

He’s never going to see year 2 of it.

it’s him giving some cap flex but telling them the only way he’s there past this season is if he’s an elite starting qb, or he opts to renegotiate. Basically the huge sum gives him control of his next step.

Worth every penny.... Also on my way to propose, good thing he went to BYU.... should be an easy pitch to take McCaffrey as a second husband:wub:

39 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Seriously. 10% chance he is on the Saints roster in 2022?

Yes, you are looking at Josh Allen's shiny new backup as well as Singletary/Moss and Knox!

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Can I play for the Saints?

Do you look as good as Taysom?

• Haha (+1) 1