So just a small recap over the last week.....the lines

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Oops.  Yes.  Run block 

I mistyped.  Meant to say run block

Thanks!  Stuff like that happens to me all the time, spoken and written.

So here's the paradox: we could run block at times.  We ran all over the Patriots for 190 yds.  We ran all over the Chargers.  All over the Broncos.  Above league average against the Patriots in the 2nd game and against the Jets in the 2nd game.

Now that 2nd Jets game was half Josh.  But the Patriots, Chargers, Broncos, and 2nd Patriots game were not.

So what made the difference between games where we ran successfully, and games where we perhaps wanted to run or needed to run (Titans, KC, maybe Zona)?  Titans and KC we had Ford playing injured and Feliciano not back.

I dunno.  I'm asking.

There were games where I believe it would have benefited us to run where it seems as though Daboll ran up the "White Flag" and didn't even try - Baltimore in the playoffs comes to mind.

So the draft boards change daily but as I see it there is none of the following that would be impactful to us in the first round.

1. Pass Rusher
  2. One Tech DT .. those are of lesser quality in later rounds.
  3. G Late round 2 maybe,,
  4. WR no speedsters will likely be thee

So what does that leave us?

CB. I just Highly doubt we go CB (highly opinionated)

T. Both sides are secure unless that Tackle can start at guard

TE. The next Tier TE starts some where in round 2.

RB. This is highly likely if its a top 2.

OLB. This is very possible position where we could go back to base 4-3 on many downs.

Move to 40-43 and pick up this years 4th round pick

Trade your first and second round pick for say pick 17 and get 

• Edge Kwity Paye
  • Edge Jelen Pillips
  • RB Travis Etienne
  • WR Kadarius Toney
  • TE Kyle Pitts

OR

BPA - I am not a fan of this. This year.

Do you think AJ Kline can play DE? His best trait last year was rushing the passer IMO. His size is pretty close to most DE's on the team he should only have to put on like 10 Lbs. Just wondering. Can't see him getting plaid all that money just to back up Milano? Thought

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea the team is basically status quo from last season at this point... amazing season but they were clearly outmatched, outmanned, and outplayed against the AFC Champs twice. 

Need to upgrade the roster not remain the same....

I think by keeping the continuity All together, Beane has just set the core for this team to compete in a Superbowl over the next 3-4 years. He is doing what a lot of teams seem to not be doing and that is protecting your franchise Qb and giving him what he needs to succeed. Great job!

I actually think this benefits us more in years to come as opposed to this year. We know what were getting and that’s fine but could we have used resources somewhere else at say accepting the loss of Mongo?

If anything my concern is we really haven’t addressed anything yet on Defense other than keep Milano in the fold. That was big. But we are still far off from being able to attack Kc like Tampa could. 

I thing Mcd scheme puts us in a tough spot against a team like Kc.we don’t jam at the line.  Our guys are usually not able to keep up running  with their speed and are out of position. 

If we aren’t changing scheme then We need an edge rusher badly. I’m sure Beane has this in control..But not all of his moves on the dline have been great. 

For you draft gurus out ther can we find a good edge rusher at 30?

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea the team is basically status quo from last season at this point... amazing season but they were clearly outmatched, outmanned, and outplayed against the AFC Champs twice. 

Need to upgrade the roster not remain the same....

Yall know we were 15-4 right? Shoulda been 16-3. Damn. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I don’t think Scott Law is that far off in his comments.

At that time everyone considered us to be the best team ready to knock off the Chiefs. After the game I think most analysts would probably state a pretty sizeable gap still exists  between us and them.

Sure the Chiefs have lost a few guys but no one is going to put us ahead of them in the power rankings until we prove it on the field. 

In my opinion we haven’t done enough on the defensive side yet to say we can be any better the third time around.

We still have some time but are money is being eaten up fast if not already. 

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I don’t think Scott Law is that far off in his comments.

At that time everyone considered us to be the best team ready to knock off the Chiefs. After the game I think most analysts would probably state a pretty sizeable gap still exists  between us and them.

Sure the Chiefs have lost a few guys but no one is going to put us ahead of them in the power rankings until we prove it on the field. 

In my opinion we haven’t done enough on the defensive side yet to say we can be any better the third time around.

We still have some time but are money is being eaten up fast if not already. 

If you agree that Milano wasnt a important signing it just kills anything else you have to say......Scottlaw is auto dismissed dont go down that path.

4 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

On the back of our offense (still on shock about that)

If our defense would have not regressed I think we win it all last year......gotta improve the D

5 hours ago, ganesh said:

We did cut Jefferson and then did not re-sign Murphy.   So currently we have a major hole at DE in terms of Depth Chart 

At some point you have to let your youth play a major role in your defense.   We have used top picks on our D line the last two years.

We need another rotational DE player.....it is a hole.....I dont know that it is a major need because we NEED guys like AJE and Oliver to step up

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Entire OL returns intact

2 DL take pay cuts to stay

Star coming back

We have done a lot of work on our DL/OL's to think that the pick at 30 is auto going to be put here........

Some places I would look at now

Corner

Running back - If Naji falls

Boettger is still un-signed, last I knew anyway, though it seems that it would be easy enough to bring him back. Now that we've got all that done ...

OL, pass rusher, CB, TE, WR and also maybe 1-tech and RB, probably in the later rounds. Pretty much the same as it has been, really, but less concern with OT and more with G/C.

Beane's way has been to find guys in FA so we're not forced to go any particular direction in the draft if we don't want to, and then he drafts BPA at the same positions that seemed to be weaknesses before FA. Not that this guarantees he'll do the same this year, but that's probably the way to bet.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

This is really the point....obviously they can’t get better BEFORE FA, but I hate the idea of them using their limited cap space on players I think they’d be just fine without(Milano, Feliciano).... but if Beane can get a premium pass rusher in FA and keep these guys then all the credit in the world to him. 

It's really your point maybe but it's sure not the point.

The Bills were obviously, visibly better when Milano was playing. It was there to see but the stats back it up. I thought it was clear that he was a top two player on that defense last year. They would not have been fine without him. 

It's far more legit to say that about Feliciano, but anyone thinking they know more than the Bills do about Feliciano's impact is only showing a drastic overestimation of his understanding of the situation. 

I'll totally line up on your side on the last line there, we just don't know what's coming next. I didn't think there was any way they could bring back all three. I mean I knew it was possible but thought it was wildly unlikely, especially with Milano seeming to be giving signals that he wanted to test his worth. I'm looking forward to see what happens. They're going to have to shave some more money over the next few days and weeks, and I look forward to seeing how they do that.

8 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

It’s not improbable to think our stud RB (Moss), stud DE (AJ) and stud TE (Knox) are all currently on our roster. 

Here’s hoping we see some big steps from our guys next year. Especially Knox. If that dude figures it out, he is easily the best TE in the league. His athleticism is off the charts. 

Yeah, I think many aren't thinking about how continued development of some of our youngest guys could really have a bigger impact on this year's results than whoever we draft.

That is a possibility on every team but it gets more likely when most of your core guys are younger and when you have scheme continuity as we do.

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

If you agree that Milano wasnt a important signing it just kills anything else you have to say......Scottlaw is auto dismissed dont go down that path.

On the back of our offense (still on shock about that)

If our defense would have not regressed I think we win it all last year......gotta improve the D

At some point you have to let your youth play a major role in your defense.   We have used top picks on our D line the last two years.

We need another rotational DE player.....it is a hole.....I dont know that it is a major need because we NEED guys like AJE and Oliver to step up

I said in another post the Milano signing was big. No issue with that. Other then Tre he’s obviously one of our best draft picks in the past few years. Happy he is back. 

But I probably would have let  Mongo 

or the other being Williams walk IF it gives us a bit more flexibility to sign an  impact Edge rusher.  

That’s  all I am saying. if Beane can still find that player I’ll be happy. 

I do think our defensive line is a liability in this Defense right now so I’ll disagree there. Mahome sat back and ate us alive even with Milano.

I’m not yet feeling confident enough to just to Hope  guys like  Devin, Knox, And  Aj,will just step up to get this team a title. Maybe Beane and Mcd are. I don’t know.

I think Bean is going to shock us all and we will trade up for Kyle Pitts! I don’t know how much it will cost, but that’s my bold prediction. 

10 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

So the draft boards change daily but as I see it there is none of the following that would be impactful to us in the first round.

1. Pass Rusher

OLB. This is very possible position where we could go back to base 4-3 on many downs.

• Edge Kwity Paye
  • Edge Jelen Pillips
  • RB Travis Etienne
  • WR Kadarius Toney
  • TE Kyle Pitts

OR

Ha, I just posted this. I agree with you on Pitts. Beane throws us a curveball. I don’t see Pitts making it past the Giants @ 11 though. 

Edited by Maynard

10 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

1. Pass Rusher

• Edge Kwity Paye
  • Edge Jelen Pillips
  • RB Travis Etienne
  • WR Kadarius Toney
  • TE Kyle Pitts

OR

i’d trade up for Pitts if he is there, but not a fan of trading up for the others, IMO.  

adding star might could bring us over on D, but i really think we need a pass rusher and perhaps more beef upfront.  cb 2 is a need, but i think mcbeen can pick them off a tree, without a ladder.

on O, either cody ford just balls out and shows improve, or we just don't get good at run blocking, unless we draft a G who moves guys to the bench.

RB and TE production is still our biggest need on O, and while a better OL is a real nice push towards that, you generally have 3 guys at each position who can play, and 2 who can be on the pitch at the same time, so i think we need to add at least one guy to each of those roster spots.

it is possible, imo, that our OL just plays better, mainly w ford getting his game up hard, and adding a single TE and RB who can do things no one on the team can right now gets us to where we need to be.

If Beane decides to stay at 30 i think he goes with a O line guy .

Even though they have got most of the guys back that they wanted on the O line they don't have a bunch of depth and a top lineman at that pick would ensure that they could have another good player when Feliciano, Williams, or Fords contracts are up or if their play drops off .

Beane's thinking 2 to 3 yrs down the road he's always got a plan the man to this point is a genius when it comes to building a team for the future !!

It may just be that OBD believe they’ve already got the help at DL that they just re-signed at OL. They know they have Star coming back in the middle and they drafted Epinesa last year on the outside. Those two players alone may be more than any chance they could take outside of the organization. 

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

That’s be strange...that defensive line got manhandled twice against the best team in the conference last season..... Star is going to change that? Doubtful. 

No, he’s not going to ‘change’ but if you re-read my post, I believe that THEY think he’s going to improve it. And...I also believe that Epinesa is the forgotten man. They took him with their first pick last year. He’s not a holdover from a past regime. I’ve got to believe they think really high of him.  Insert Edmunds name in place of Epinesa and I’m guessing that’s what they’re counting on. 

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Boettger is still un-signed, last I knew anyway, though it seems that it would be easy enough to bring him back. Now that we've got all that done ...

OL, pass rusher, CB, TE, WR and also maybe 1-tech and RB, probably in the later rounds. Pretty much the same as it has been, really, but less concern with OT and more with G/C.

Beane's way has been to find guys in FA so we're not forced to go any particular direction in the draft if we don't want to, and then he drafts BPA at the same positions that seemed to be weaknesses before FA. Not that this guarantees he'll do the same this year, but that's probably the way to bet.

Yup, Beane has been BPA at positions of need since day one, that is certainly a safe bet, but no guarantee as you said. It’s nice though to have a GM that doesn’t play Madtasy with our team...

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, I think many aren't thinking about how continued development of some of our youngest guys could really have a bigger impact on this year's results than whoever we draft.

That is a possibility on every team but it gets more likely when most of your core guys are younger and when you have scheme continuity as we do.

exactly. 

I get that people have all this hope in the draft. But odds are that anyone we draft, won’t be instant big impact contributor. 

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

exactly. 

I get that people have all this hope in the draft. But odds are that anyone we draft, won’t be instant big impact contributor. 

Yeah, as your team wins more games and your draft position drops, you tend to get less instant impact.