Bills re-sign Feliciano

4 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Thanks Gunner for taking the time to explain it. This makes Sense now. Some times you have to go back read a second time, I am glad people like you understand me and take the time to explain it. Etienne seems to fit that picture huh? lol 

I mean my opinion is just another opinion, but I think if a bruiser was the answer then they drafted a pretty good bruiser in Moss and that didn't kick start things. I thought they needed speed last year and I still think they need speed.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Forgot about that.  You're absolutely right. That's our 1st pick in the draft.

I wouldnt be mad if they went down that road but I still am hoping they get someone In FA who can be close to a certainty to have an impact Day 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I mean my opinion is just another opinion, but I think if a bruiser was the answer then they drafted a pretty good bruiser in Moss and that didn't kick start things. I thought they needed speed last year and I still think they need speed.

Moss is a solid force but not great. We saw Frank Gore for years, no matter how good or bad their line was bruise it for 3+ yards. there is a difference between a good solid bruiser and someone elite. But your dragging me to your side of thinking lol

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Cordarelle Patterson.  He can lineup in the back field, return kicks and be a 5th WR for us....take McKenzie’s place.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm fine with the approach. Resign your talent. Make some value signings in free agency. Build through the draft.

Your talent got you to 13 wins and two playoff victories. Not hard to justify trying to keep as much of that team together and then add the 2-3 pieces you might need to compete at a higher level through the draft.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

With the cap likely jumping significantly next year with the new TV deals + fans back, Beane has a lot of restructure opportunities to free up more cap space. My dream remaining off-season and it is possible:

Re-sign McKenzie and a bojorquez

UFA signings on Covid deals

CB: Richard Sherman

TE: Hunter Henry

DE: Yannick Ngakoue

pick 30: Ettiene falls to us

pick 62: if anything close to the above happens I don’t care 

maybe they could grab a Cooks and Clowney still. Not all this

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I wouldnt be mad if they went down that road but I still am hoping they get someone In FA who can be close to a certainty to have an impact Day 1

It's need vs impact day one. We need an edge rusher but at #31, perhaps a guy like Travis Etienne would be our Alvin Kamara.

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

And pass rush for that matter.....

The difference there is that Murphy leaving opens up a roster spot at EDGE. They can draft one at 30 or sign a free agent.

Conversely, I don’t see any starting spots left on the o-line. Beane’s comments make it seem like they expect Ford to start, and Mongo’s contract likely means he’ll start, too.

Whereas they still have a spot to add a dynamic pass rusher to the roster, the o-line appears set. Certainly the starting five can be written in pencil, if not etched in stone.

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I keep hearing how this is a very good offensive tackle draft and I think it would be a mistake if they don't use this draft to secure more long term depth and a possible longer term replacement for the older right side of the line. 

I agree with you, not necessarily about OT but that we need to draft/develop a C/G.  Morse is a bit scary at C because of the concussion history. 

It would be nice to do what way back, the Bills did with Eric Wood where he played guard initially to learn the ropes then slid over to center.

15 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I’ll give you that - this line was jumbled all year due to injuries.  Feliciano missed first 7 or 8 games, Mitch Morse was injured, Ford played hurt then finally went out...

Every teams OL is jumbled throughout the season.  I thought our OL was one of the healthier units in the league last year.  

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Conversely, I don’t see any starting spots left on the o-line. Beane’s comments make it seem like they expect Ford to start, and Mongo’s contract likely means he’ll start, too.

It's worth remembering that the Bills re-signed Spain to a 3 year, $15M contract and pulled him out of the starting lineup for Ford then ultimately cut him with a bunch of guaranteed salary.  They also benched Murphy much of the season.

I "get it" fans and members of the media throw their arms up at this, but I don't think Beane and McDermott view guys as slotted in to the starting lineup based on their paycheck (or draft position).

I think Beane views re-signing our own FA and FA as ideally, a place to ensure we go into the draft with a team that has few holes.  Then he can draft more towards BPA and less towards need, and hopefully bring in guys who compete to make the team better.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Whereas they still have a spot to add a dynamic pass rusher to the roster, the o-line appears set. Certainly the starting five can be written in pencil, if not etched in stone.

Maybe I'm just hopeful that they plan to re-sign Boettger (who could compete with the oft-injured Ford) and draft someone who could make them erase that pencil and rewrite it a bit. 🤷‍♂️

I agree with the folks who point out that it's hard to make things better by keeping them the same.  Though it is a valid point that we never did have an OL of Dawkins-Ford-Morse-Feliciano-Williams on the field together.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Only problem with this is the chances of those draft picks having that much of an impact is slim.... 

the Bucs draft picks played huge roles in their success.  Wirfs and Winfield were huge additions 

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think a line that doesn't hold its blocks long enough (which is what we have) needs a back who can hit them and accelerate through them before they close. Moss is a bruiser. In fact he is a good back after contact. He was one of the best in college and made some hard yards after contact last year. He still only averaged 4.3 ypa. They need speed.

Peak Jamal Charles couldn't have hit the LOS fast enough to find a whole last year...........it often did not exist.........which in turn made the backs they had more tentative.

It got frustrating at the end..........I remember cussing out Moss in the finale for being tentative on a play I thought should have been an 8-10 yarder that he only got 4 yards on.   When Williams came in he just barreled into the hole and ripped off big yardage.......you saw a difference.   Like Moss you can time Williams 40 (4.52) with a dun dial.

• Disagree 1

21 minutes ago, Logic said:

I agree that achieving a more effective running game is imperative. 

Luckily, McDermott and Beane seem to agree. 

What’s interesting is that they r already said they don’t blame Moss and Singletary for the struggles, and their re-signing the whole o-line indicates that they don’t necessarily think that they caused the problem, either.

So...how do they plan to improve the running game? Changing up the run scheme? Adding a more complete tight end and a WR2 that can block well? Perhaps they think Ford’s return will be a big boost? I admit to being perplexed as to how they plan to address the running game at this point.

It is a mystery wrapped in an enigma at this point.  Unless, as aforementioned, they believe having Ford and Feliciano on the field at the same time is somehow key (I am uncertain).

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Problem there is cap space.... but hopeful he can make it work without releasing anyone.

I think AJ is better than Murphy was.. Heck I think Addison is better than Murphy. I haven't really seen any big drop off in Hughes. I think Oliver is as good as Phillip's was and we had what, a top 5 defense with Hughes, Star, Phillip's and Murphy all with the same back 7? I think the real fix will be push from the middle. Hope Star comes back and is what he was otherwise I want a BIG nasty 1dt I can find or draft... Don't get me wrong, I'd love a top DE, but I think our issue is in the middle...