Bills re-sign Feliciano

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think they will draft one but I also think the swing OT is on the roster already in Trey

I think Trey is a developmental guy like Ike was. I still think they need a bit more depth along the O-line. Either resign Ty or drafting a player in round 3. 

56 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

Beane is just trying to win Executive of the Year again. I didn't think he could fit all 3 under the lowered cap. Kudos!

Beane even works on Sundays!

IMO wasn't that hard to do, but likely at the expense of not having as many options on Wednesday.  With a few cuts and restructures/ reductions signing three mid to high FA wasn't hard, just had to decide which three, their own or outside.  Will be an interesting Monday once legal tampering starts to hear the next group of names. 

I wonder if we'll still hear a couple more cuts and contract restructures in between.  I suppose they could announce Monday  a guy they are signing without having the $$ available, they'd just need to make the cuts by Wednesday to sign him.

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

On one hand - super cool to bring all 3 back. On the other - Beane said at the year end press conference that "this is not a Super Bowl Championship team yet". Using pretty much all of the cap to keep things the same instead of making improvements - it's hard to picture us taking that next step in overcoming KC in the AFC.

I'm beginning to think his end of the year presser was just to mess with our heads.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

They were 13-3.

You don't know near as much as you profess to.

I'll debate you whether or not they "got better" when camp is over.

I keep hearing "how does this help us beat KC" as though it is a foregone conclusion that the team gets back to the AFCCG and plays KC. As if it is a foregone conclusion that KC doesn't get worse (they already lost their starting tackles) and simply returning the same roster with some minor tweaks wouldn't be enough. I don't get people knocking the idea of returning productive starters from a 13-3 team that won two playoff games. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

A lot of their struggles was scheme and commitment. Every single RB averaged over 4 yards per carry. 

Singletary looked completely different from his rookie year. Not much changed personnel wise. They did have a lot more injuries to the OL. Beane mentioned that Ford - Morse - Feliciano didn't play 1 snap together all year. 

This right here ^^^

The above,  plus Spain being an azs, we lost the cohesion we would otherwise have had in the run game, to me it’s kind of stunning that more folk don’t grasp this, and pretend it was Moss and Singletary sucking... when it was kind of a perfect storm for a mediocre run game. 

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Ford concentrating solely on left guard and Feliciano being healthy going into the season should help improve the offensive line.  They will also probably tender Boettger.

Ike/Ford in my mind will battle it out for the LG spot, loser goes to the bench and is a key depth piece along with Bates. Still need a swing tackle if Ty isn't brought back but not a bad top 7 for the O-line. 

• Agree 1

Just now, billsfan89 said:

I keep hearing "how does this help us beat KC" as though it is a foregone conclusion that the team gets back to the AFCCG and plays KC. As if it is a foregone conclusion that KC doesn't get worse (they already lost their starting tackles) and simply returning the same roster with some minor tweaks wouldn't be enough. I don't get people knocking the idea of returning productive starters from a 13-3 team that won two playoff games. 

There is also the possibility that Watson/Wilson gets traded to Miami and the Bills have got their hands full dealing with them to even win the division...

Some people need to get over the KC fixation.. the last memory I have of them is Mahomes alternating between running for his life and being flat on his back...

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think Trey is a developmental guy like Ike was. I still think they need a bit more depth along the O-line. Either resign Ty or drafting a player in round 3. 

I agree with This the thing is Trey was extremely talented coming out of college and we are in a year where the Drop $30 million if we’re going to have a developmental player being the swing tackle this would definitely be the year to do it

34 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

He has to improve a lot to be of any help. 

He has to improve a lot to stay on the team.

This may be his last year as a Bill if he doesn't get it together.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He sure talks a good game and acts like he’s a bad***.   I need to see more of him wrecking people before I can stand by him being our OL enforcer.  Anyone have a Mongo highlight reel?  
If Ford doesn't hold up at guard he's great depth at the least. It gives us continuity, which is the hallmark of good O-lines.  The same 5 or 6 guys are coming back. Not saying a mauler in the draft wouldn't be a positive. 

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Did we change running philosophy from 2019 to last year?  We could run in 2019 with essentially this same offensive line except Williams.

A little bit. We ran a lot more tight formation with big personnel in 2019 (remember all the multiple tight end sets that people went mad about?). But when your Quarterback operates best out of a spread with 4 wides it is hard to then bring the big guys to run the ball without telling the defense that is exactly what you are doing. There were other factors, we ran less pin and pull but again part of it is about finding a run scheme to mesh with the way we now run our pass offense.

EDIT: oh and Quinton Spain was way underrated.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They switched blocking scheme to a power scheme at the end of the season. They have to figure out how to incorporate that with Morse's ability to move. That's the key to turning around run blocking next year. 

Worst case, move Feliciano to center and put bates, Boetteger (if he's here) or rookie at RG. Power running scheme fixed... LOL....😉

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

There is also the possibility that Watson/Wilson gets traded to Miami and the Bills have got their hands full dealing with them to even win the division...

Some people need to get over the KC fixation.. the last memory I have of them is Mahomes alternating between running for his life and being flat on his back...

If the Bills can resign their three restricted players and 2-3 key depth pieces (some combo of Roberts, Mac, Ty, T.Jones and Barkley) they will have 97% of their 13-3 roster that won 2 playoff games with the draft still to go. Keeping a 13 win base of talent is critical as you still have the draft to add those 2-3 pieces you feel you are missing and help replace some depth and get younger longer term. 

I think they go Pass rusher at pick 30 and then either a tight end or CB in round 2 and then tackle round 3. Then in round 5 they take on some depth pieces like safety or LB.

35 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

In my head, I said to myself “if this is what he can do with a low salary cap, I can’t wait to see what Beane can do with the one that is coming with the big TV deals”. Then, I quickly self corrected by remembering Josh. Still a fantastic job of keeping the three most key, imho, FA’s in the fold.

We could be looking at a salary cap increase next year of 30+ mil. If anything, I take that opportunity to front load a deal for Allen so you can keep stocking talent as our starters age out of current contracts.

I think the Bills should have $40-ish mil in space next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am OK with him back at under 6M because Josh has comfort with him at 2nd string center and that is a key position. I still think this is more about protection at center than his strength as a guard. 

Just now, Locomark said:

I am OK with him back at under 6M because Josh has comfort with him at 2nd string center and that is a key position. I still think this is more about protection at center than his strength as a guard. 

• Like (+1) 2