Bills re-sign Feliciano

6 minutes ago, Cantankeous said:

Did we even practice running the ball last season? I recall lots of rushing plays in blow out wins, but was it really even a serious effort?

To be honest, what the hell are you talking about? He convinced 5 plus players to take pay cuts/restructure. Then chopped off fat from the roster BEFORE approaching UFAs. Then he convinced these guys to not even try the market.
To your 2nd ‘Easy Part’, the OL in the final month plus playoffs were different from the 1st 2/3rds of the season. They are just getting down their cohesion. Ditto a reconstructed DL with FAs and Draft picks who didn’t have a training camp, minicamp or preseason. 

To NOT expect improvement is to have no clue what’s going on. juss sayin’

What I mean to say is the more difficult part will be improving the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

I’m not convinced a healthy Cody Ford helps anything. Not saying he can’t get better. I’m just not impressed by his play thus far. 

Fwiw, if he were coming out in this years draft, given how he played in college, we’d all love him in the 2nd Round.  

Hard to judge him when we played him at RT his rookie year and then he got hurt early in his second year.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MiltonWaddams said:

In my head, I said to myself “if this is what he can do with a low salary cap, I can’t wait to see what Beane can do with the one that is coming with the big TV deals”. Then, I quickly self corrected by remembering Josh. Still a fantastic job of keeping the three most key, imho, FA’s in the fold.

It would not shock me at all if Josh, given his team-first attitude, signed a long term deal at an average of $30-35 per year, thus giving Beane more room to to strengthen the roster. He wants a ring more than a paycheck.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So we basically will have the same offensive line.  Are we going to have to do a philosophical change in the running game?

Probably.

There's no reason why we can't make changes to our offensive game plan.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have this same concern.  Although we haven't yet brought back Boettger (though I'm told we want to).

How much of this is on Singletary and Moss or the scheme versus the talent on the line?

I feel like McBeane has never been afraid to cut loose any players that aren't cutting it.  Even TBD's favorite whipping boy and process disciple, Mike Tolbert, wasn't brought back after 17.  If they felt someone else was available that could both fit into their budget and outperform existing talent, they'd likely make that move.

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So we basically will have the same offensive line.  Are we going to have to do a philosophical change in the running game?

Possibly. Or find different backs. Beane told us he thought the blocking was an issue at times but his actions suggest he can't think it was that bad. He brought Morse, Feliciano and Williams back.

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Fwiw, if he were coming out in this years draft, given how he played in college, we’d all love him in the 2nd Round.  

Hard to judge him when we played him at RT his rookie year and then he got hurt early in his second year.  

No argument I just don’t want to pin my hopes and dreams for a solid running game on Cody Ford. 

Just now, SydneyBillsFan said:

It would not shock me at all if Josh, given his team-first attitude, signed a long term deal at an average of $30-35 per year, thus giving Beane more room to to strengthen the roster. He wants a ring more than a paycheck.

The agent and the NFLPA will not let that happen. It may end up being as team friendly as possible, but the man is going to get paid what he deserves. It’s all relative, but I cannot see him going under $40 million per year

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

How does he make the team better? That's going to take some cap manipulation. 

The best thing we could have done this offseason is keep last year's team as intact as possible while making upgrades at our two biggest weaknesses, namely offensive speed and pass rush.

We can draft offensive speed and probably still make room to sign one of the available free agent pass rushers with a couple restructures and cuts. I expect that Beane knows this and will make it a priority.

If we upgrade on those two weaknesses, and hopefully at least a couple of our young players take a big step this year, we are ready to compete for the Super Bowl. Especially with the Chiefs losing starters, the gap has closed.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

A lot of their struggles was scheme and commitment. Every single RB averaged over 4 yards per carry. 

Singletary looked completely different from his rookie year. Not much changed personnel wise. They did have a lot more injuries to the OL. Beane mentioned that Ford - Morse - Feliciano didn't play 1 snap together all year. 

Agree. If we go back to pulling guards and center we can be successful running the ball. I hope that’s the plan. The zone scheme doesn’t fit our personnel. If we are bringing back every olinemen from last year we have to deviate from that right?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I thought this group couldn't run block though. What happened with that. 

We happened was we got to the AFCCG.

Room for improvement in the run game but the continuity will be good and hopefully Ford comes back strong and keeps developing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think they will draft one but I also think the swing OT is on the roster already in Trey

Don't sleep on Bates as a backup swing tackle. 

In addition to an effective drive at C vs NE, IIRC he saw some time at one of the tackle positions vs Sea and of course Mia

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Process said:

Wow.

I am honestly in shock we were able to resign everyone. Don't know how Beane does it. 

With that said, going into next year with the exact same o line and defensive front 7 doesn't seem like a great strategy to me. This team needed upgrades this off-season, not to just bring the same team back. We were not close to being able to beat the chiefs or the bucs. 

Having spent almost all of our money before free agency, Beane really needs to nail the upcoming draft. 

Lets wait and see .. they can create more cap space if they want to 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

Agree. If we go back to pulling guards and center we can be successful running the ball. I hope that’s the plan. The zone scheme doesn’t fit our personnel. If we are bringing back every olinemen from last year we have to deviate from that right?

They switched blocking scheme to a power scheme at the end of the season. They have to figure out how to incorporate that with Morse's ability to move. That's the key to turning around run blocking next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

I’m not convinced a healthy Cody Ford helps anything. Not saying he can’t get better. I’m just not impressed by his play thus far. 

9 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

He has to improve a lot to be of any help. 

Staying healthy is the key.

I think he played better as a Guard than as a Tackle. The more he plays the better for the team.

• Like (+1) 1