I think Chris Carson is the guy to get at RB, Hunter Henry at TE

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Ha... I find myself being one of them and have to remind myself to stop it.  

Pre-2020, I was firmly in the “never pay RB’s / never draft them high” camp.  

Then I watched Singletary/Moss for a full year, and..... ehhhh.  

I do think OL improvements at the Guard spots could do the trick, but Singletary’s pass catching issues REALLY frustrated me last year.  Moss, I’m fine with.  DS better put in work this offseason if we’re rolling with him again. 

The running game was disappointing and the backs were part of that but I think we have it out of perspective.

They were pretty much a middle of the pack running team........about 19th in ypc and attempts but 11th in big plays(20+) and 3rd in the % of their runs that went for first downs.

There is a perception that they are really bad at it,  but relative the the rest of the league they aren't.    

As you said.........they can get A LOT better if they just block better.     Their RB's are unspectacular but they also have very good #'s in terms of yards after contact........they are more than sufficient if you give them a gap to run thru.    The Bills OL really struggled to block for the run last season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

I don't think he is going to coat that much because of his injury history. Again, I think $7 million a season is reasonable. Considering someone like Aaron Jones is slated to get like $12 million a year or higher 

The Bills don't have 7m to spend on a RB

I don't think they're gonna go out and spend money on a free agent running back. Did they struggle to effectively run the ball? Yeah, but the issues go beyond just "they need a new back!" The OL couldn't get out of their own way on running plays. Plus, this offense is throwing the ball 65% of the time on average. They're gonna get by with Singletary and Moss. Maybe they draft a kid in the 4th or 5th to compete for the 3rd RB spot with Antonio Williams and maybe Christian Wade? I don't think they'll bring back Yeldon. In the very limited snaps Yeldon got I felt like he really wasn't that bad. I guess maybe he just can't make plays consistently? Either way, I'm sure he's out the door. 

As for TE, yeah they could probably upgrade over Kroft. If Lee Smith retires I think they probably try to see if Tommy Sweeney or Nate Becker or even Reggie Gilliam can take his spot as the blocking TE. I still have faith in Knox, all the talent is right there, just gotta put it all together. That said, I wouldn't be mad if they added Henry or Jonnu Smith. But they're not gonna get into a bidding war for any of these guys so they'll have to get creative with the contract numbers while really selling the fact that they do indeed have a very real window of opportunity to win the Super Bowl within the next three seasons. 

Really? How many TDs a year do offensive lineman score?

Quite a few in reality given their effect on the running game. 

The Bills don't need new RBs, they need the O line to be half as good in run blocking as it pass protection 

Our line is fine. It was all last season. We have 3 of those guys returning. It's one of the least of our concerns 

Its very good in pass protection, it was terrible in run blocking. 

I don't think he is going to coat that much because of his injury history. Again, I think $7 million a season is reasonable. Considering someone like Aaron Jones is slated to get like $12 million a year or higher 

He won’t be a Bill.

Don't get me wrong, Aaron Jones is the man and I would love him in a Bills uniform but I think he is gonna be commanding too high of a salary.

Chris Carson is said to average about $7-8 million a year on the market which honestly isn't to bad. Before last season in which he was hurt he had an 1100 yard and 1200 yard season and has been reliable as a pass catcher out of the backfield. Maybe something like a 4yr $30 million contract is reasonable. That would come out to about $7 million a season.

I read somewhere that Chris Carson is the best back in the league when it comes to broken tackles and he is a bruising type of back. 

As far as Henry, he's young, talented and would easily improve our TE corps. A nice weapon for Josh. Beane sounded like he wanted to improve the TE position at his end of year press conference so I'm interested to see what happens.

I'm not saying to sign both but one or the other. Both would be helpful 

$$

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Well to start with we're not paying their salaries so yea we'll take the 22 oz ribeye please!

Yeah but we are allowed to criticize the team's spending. And I'm going to criticize a team paying a running back a second contract every time. 

• Like (+1) 1

The thing I find interesting about the RB position is how much it's lost it's allure.  Call me old school but I have a sinking suspicion that the conventional "wisdom" here is off base.

Sure spending $20 million per year on a RB is not the way to go but in 2019 I watched a RB single handily take his mediocre football team to the AFC conference championship winning two playoff games on the road to do it. I have seen McCaffrey produce over 2,000 yards in offense as the ONLY serious offensive threat on the Panthers in 2019. RB's can and do have impacts every bit as big as WR's do.

Answer me this question: if a healthy McCaffrey or Delvin Cook or Alvin Kamara was on the Bills roster last season do you think we'd be Super Champs?  I do.

I can't even imagine the damage McCaffrey would do catching 5 yard passes from Allen and turning them into 10 - 15 yard gains as Diggs & Beasley run riot through the middle of the field.  With a McCaffrey type RB there's no more spying Allen as he rips teams for 80 yards per game without taking many hits.

I know the game has changed but it hasn't changed as much as folks are saying.  In the playoffs two routine screen passes were botched by Singleterry that McCaffrey or Kamara would have either taken to the end zone or had huge gains on (the slip versus Baltimore and the drop versus KC). When you're a SB contender those types of plays matter.

I get we don't have the money to spend lavishly on RB.  But the notion that the draft is the only place to look and that our running game issues rest mostly with the O-line are misplaced IMO.  If we can get a solid guy in FA we should.  If they're to expensive then we should be willing to draft a RB in the 1st round.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I agree wholeheartedly in focusing on the trenches, but the Colts had a better OL and DL than us... and we beat them in the Playoffs mainly due to Josh Allen and our WR’s.   

Just saying.. it isn’t the end all, be all.

The reason we beat them with Josh Allen is that he was healthy and upright. 

That's largely due to the OL.

The OL, once you have a real QB, really pretty much is the be and the end all. How many good young QBs have been beaten into timid PTSD cases because the GM refused to prioritize the OL? Luckily, Beane has showed he's not one of those.

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

The reason we beat them with Josh Allen is that he was healthy and upright. 

That's largely due to the OL.

The OL, once you have a real QB, really pretty much is the be and the end all. How many good young QBs have been beaten into timid PTSD cases because the GM refused to prioritize the OL? Luckily, Beane has showed he's not one of those.

Agree and disagree.   We throw a lot, so there will be times the QB is pressured (even with a good OL), but some of our biggest plays in that game don’t happen if Allen isn’t an absolute physical freak. 

• Like (+1) 2

Maybe it’s just me but I have never been impressed with this guy. And I’m definitely not trying to pay a veteran RB. If we want another RB, draft a fast one in round 1/2. There’s almost no reason to ever pay a vet RB. The production difference is negligible and the salary difference is important. I’d only ever draft RBs...but that’s just me.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MrSarcasm said:

Ignorant comment. Quit playing Madden.

Only one RB has ever been able to perform without a line- Barry Sanders. 

No QB has ever been able to perform well without a line and if a QB has no time to throw the WRs get no catches. 

Lineman are the framework of any Offense.

Games are won by scoring and preventing the other team from scoring. The skill position players are the ones that score TDs and prevent the opposing offense from scoring TDs. I hate hearing games are won in the trenches. Sure, the offensive line is important but scoring TDs is more important. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean the comment is ignorant 

• Vomit 2

20 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

When have you ever seen Carson play? He’s injured like 80% of the time! 

First off, allow me to clarify my previous statement...

I am, in no way, endorsing the notion presented by the OP- that we go out and spend 7-8 million on Carson, or any other RB, for that matter...

My perspective is, simply, that I would prefer a RB of his style over what we currently have...And that his talent is clearly a notch above the RB talent on our team...we should be aiming for something like that...

This guy could be had for a mid round pick...he is barely talked about and has a similar playing style as Carson- speed, power, and elusiveness...👍

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

Why my top priority is getting a good TE

Playoff caliber teams, TE Yards:

Chiefs 1479

Raiders 1489

Tampa 1092 

Miami 1061

Titans 967

Rams 938

Chargers 928 (included because Hunter Henry is a player of interest for us)

Colts 898

Cleveland 886

Ravens 814 

Green Bay 734

Seattle 727

Saints 721

Chicago 699

Washington 688

Pittsburgh 657

Buffalo 448

• Like (+1) 1

I think paying for a RB is a bad idea, unless it's the final piece of the SB puzzle. In our case, that money would be better spent on the DL. Much easier to draft a RB who can contribute on Day 1 than it is for a D-Lineman.