Sounds crazy but Jon Feliciano might not re-sign

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Sounds crazy but John Feliciano might not re-sign

Honestly there are a flood of guards on the market right now and some pretty good ones that would be an upgrade for not much more money. I think the Bills think they could upgrade for not much more than they could sign him for which is why he likely will not be back...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Honestly there are a flood of guards on the market right now and some pretty good ones that would be an upgrade for not much more money. I think the Bills think they could upgrade for not much more than they could sign him for which is why he likely will not be back...

gonna be a few guys that take 1 year deals and maybe even a guy ring chasing 

I do think McBeane is going to let Mongo walk. I think they see other vet guards out on the market who can duplicate what Mongo does. I do think they make an offer for Mongo but I think he sees this as his chance for a big contract and isn’t interested in taking a contract discounted. 

Overall I would say that with Williams back they can afford to get Mongo back.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

For some reason it won’t post but I saw a tweet that he wants to get paid and won’t take a discount. Again I can’t post the tweet but look up his Twitter account he retweeted a fans earlier tweet saying to him that he shouldn’t take a home town discount and should chase the money and get paid and Feliciano retweeted and added the Fam deserves it. 

Good luck in FA John

Here's the sequence.

Jon re-tweeted this:

This appears to be a reaction to the Daryl Williams signing:

He's referring to Daryl Williams as "Fam"

Then later he retweeted this:

The first thing I don't know, and if it's out there somewhere I haven't seen it - is whether the Bills have made Jon an offer.  And if they have made Jon an offer, is it close, or close enough, to what he and his agent feel he can get elsewhere, or is it just not in the ballpark?

I haven't been following OL around the league, but there may be teams for whom Mongo would be a clear and immediate upgrade at center, and they'd be willing to pay him accordingly.  In 2018, the Bills center was Russell Bodine and IMO Mongo would have been a clear upgrade there. 

On the other hand, the Bills may evaluate Jon as someone they'd like to keep as a valuable backup center and a guard who can compete for a starting spot with someone else they bring in or draft.

If so, the offers Jon gets from another team (as the starting C, or a surefire starter at G) and from the Bills (as a backup C and competitor for a starting spot) will be far apart, and Jon's gonna want to get paid.

Milano said that a key point in re-signing with the Bills is that he thought they reached an offer that was fair to both sides.  Depending upon how the Bills see Mongo vs how another team sees him, that may not be possible here.

37 minutes ago, SCBills said:

What is the reasoning for those who hope we re-sign him?  

I might miss something:

1) obviously he has great chemistry with the rest of the OL

2) he loves Josh and plays his heart out for him

3) continuity - it's valuable on OL

4) the line play and the run blocking both appeared to improve after his return - he obviously brings some "juice"

5) above all else, we don't want to regress on the OL, so keeping Jon would seem to assure that we at least get to the same level as last season

6) he may have been hampered by injury last season and may be able to play at a higher level if healthy

37 minutes ago, SCBills said:

He’s an ok player with positional flexibility.   
He and Ford would be the weak links on our OL currently.  

(...)

Feliciano is a weak link because he’s not that good.  He’s not bad... but he’s not good either. 

If we want to have a running game this year, I’d assume Beane wants to upgrade the G positions - especially since LT, RT, C are the same guys.  Ford could upgrade one spot... I’m hoping we also try to upgrade the other. 

This is pretty much how I see it, except that I would call Feliciano "good but not great" (maybe I'm an easier grader than you)

It's hard to change things while keeping everything the same.  And sometimes Good is the enemy of Great.

Now if Beane doesn't re-sign Feliciano, brings in no one or only a lower-level guy, and doesn't draft a rookie pretty high, I'll have a problem with it.

• Agree 2

Perhaps OP is thinking of this article which refers to his tweet “ twelve games no sacks” and speculates that negations might not be going smoothly. 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/inside-the-bills-forecasting-what-will-happen-to-teams-14-impending-free-agents/article_a3afa5dc-7e96-11eb-8861-97446f15ab43.html

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Sounds crazy but Jon Feliciano might not re-sign
2 hours ago, Motor26 said:

Yes, he’s probably gone. Will be replaced with a draft pick I assume.

As been posted in other threads, with the resigning of Williams, the starting O-line is likely set now with Dawkins & Williams at the tackles, Boettger and Ford at the guards and Morse at center.  However, I think if Feliciano was resigned, he might start over Boettger or Ford and also be a very solid backup at center to move over if Morse got concussed again. 

Nsehke and Winters are likely not returning so they need to probably have at least one, if not 2, veteran O-linemen as backups that can play multiple positions.

I guess they could draft a C/G who might be able to start, leaving Boettger or Ford as a backup.  I believe Devey is also under contract.  Can anyone confirm?

5 minutes ago, ColeB said:

As been posted in other threads, with the resigning of Williams, the starting O-line is likely set now with Dawkins & Williams at the tackles, Boettger and Ford at the guards and Morse at center.  However, I think if Feliciano was resigned, he might start over Boettger or Ford and also be a very solid backup at center to move over if Morse got concussed again. 

Nsehke and Winters are likely not returning so they need to probably have at least one, if not 2, veteran O-linemen as backups that can play multiple positions.

I guess they could draft a C/G who might be able to start, leaving Boettger or Ford as a backup.  I believe Devey is also under contract.  Can anyone confirm?

Confirmed, Jordan Devey is under contract.  Other guys on the roster include rookies Ryan Bates and Trey Adams.

Sal Capaccio is maintaining this spreadsheet in a pinned tweet that gives status

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

For some reason it won’t post but I saw a tweet that he wants to get paid and won’t take a discount. Again I can’t post the tweet but look up his Twitter account he retweeted a fans earlier tweet saying to him that he shouldn’t take a home town discount and should chase the money and get paid and Feliciano retweeted and added the Fam deserves it. 

Good luck in FA John

Unfortunately, it's anything but crazy after re-signing both Milano and Daryl Williams.

That cost a lot of money.

He said earlier he wants to be here. I think he'll take a discount. But there's now probably a pretty decent chance that won't be enough.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

What is the reasoning for those who hope we re-sign him?  

He’s an ok player with positional flexibility.   

He and Ford would be the weak links on our OL currently.  

Ford is only a weak link due to being unproven... he was projected to be a stud G out of college - we’ve since played him at RT Year 1 and then he got hurt early playing Guard in Year 2.  

Feliciano is a weak link because he’s not that good.  He’s not bad... but he’s not good either. 

If we want to have a running game this year, I’d assume Beane wants to upgrade the G positions - especially since LT, RT, C are the same guys.  Ford could upgrade one spot... I’m hoping we also try to upgrade the other. 

I'd argue it would end up with Ford and Feliciano starting and Boettger backing up if all three were on the team, which at this point looks a lot more doubtful than it did a few days ago.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Agreed.  I’ve wondered where the Feliciano love comes from.  I think fans like that he’s a bit of a maniac but he’s a very average player.

Now, if the Bills bring him back I reserve the right to come back and post how great it is for them to keep continuity on the OL. ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, eball said:

Agreed.  I’ve wondered where the Feliciano love comes from.  I think fans like that he’s a bit of a maniac but he’s a very average player.

Now, if the Bills bring him back I reserve the right to come back and post how great it is for them to keep continuity on the OL. ;)

He has a cool nickname and he is a tough guy for a fan base recently used to charmin soft linemen. But he is very limited in ability. Nice player to have as depth as a back up, but not sure he is a stating player.