Does Beane have one or two more surprises for us?

1 hour ago, artmalibu said:

Jerry could be out too if a good FA is available on a deal.  Savings on Jerry is over 7 million so they might be able to get younger at the position.   

I don't see any way they cut Hughes. He is a team leader & still a very good player. He's a guy we need to find a complement to, not replace. Not happening.

Edited by 947
  • Like (+1) 2

So - I'm working on a large post but here is some food for thought for the grand wizard bean to pull out

-Exercise contract clause in both of Tre and Dawkwins contracts allowing them to pay forward/move around their last year of their respective deals which frees up a total of 15 million

- Extend Diggs with a smaller cap hit for this season (Let's say 5 million saved towards this year)

- Cut Tyler Matakevich (save ~3.5 million)

- Cut Lee Smith (save 2.25 million)

Suddenly we have 20 million more to work with.

*Clarification on Point #1 - Both White and Dawkins have a team optional extra year addition to their contract at the cost of giving them a 7.5 million dollar sign bonus which allows the Bills to move that amount off the books from this year and spread it out over the lifetime of each contract as they see fit

*Lee Smith is thinking of retiring - and the TE market this offseason is sneaky deep - imo just CUT him and let him mull it over on his own time or get a head start on finding another team

* How the hell are we paying Tyler Matakevich that much - with a dead cap hit of just 350k he should be all but gone, the worst case put Darron Lee in there from where ever the hell we stashed him.

Edited by Rk_Bills86
Adding some info
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I’d take a chance on Clowney.  We got a plethora of JAG’s on the D Line.  Dude possesses elite talent.  As McDermott says, come here and be the best version of yourself.  He needs us as much as we need him and he’d come cheap.  

Has has not shown anything in a year where he was on a 1 year deal showcasing for a better contract when no one offered.

Bills are not going to let Jerry go for someone who might not perform when they let go other players who did not perform up to contract.

45 minutes ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

* How the hell are we paying Tyler Matakevich that much - with a dead cap hit of just 350k he should be all but gone, the worst case put Darron Lee in there from where ever the hell we stashed him.

You might want to research first.  Coach McD asked ST coordinator for player he needed most to improve special teams and he said Tyler Matakevich.  Beane is not going to cut him when he did not underperform. Darron Lee was signed after KC after he was cut who get him from JEST; he is not even on Bills roster now.

11 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

You might want to research first.  Coach McD asked ST coordinator for player he needed most to improve special teams and he said Tyler Matakevich.  Beane is not going to cut him when he did not underperform. Darron Lee was signed after KC after he was cut who get him from JEST; he is not even on Bills roster now.

So just to put this out there - in a year where teams are super tight against the cap Tyler Matakevich and his 3.7 million dollar contract is a luxury for a ST contributor that you would HOPE you could find someone else to do his assignment on his limited plays during a game. At no point did I say he underperformed. I am however outright stating that he should be an immediate candidate for cap crunch cut.

1) Darron Lee was being stashed on our Practice Squad - the fact that he was not living up to his initial draft hype on the Jets is irrelevant.

2) The Bills protected him from weeks 12 through 17 so he couldn't be poached

3) Darron Lee primarily played Special Teams in KC after moving to essentially 4th on the rotation for ILB

If Darron Lee is even remotely capable of filling Tyler Matakevich's position - we should 100% do so for the more favorable cap number.

• Vomit 1

I personally think cutting John Brown makes WR a big need. Everyone loves Diggs, but Beasley & Gabe Davis as our #2 and #3 is not great, IMO.

I think a pass catcher (TE or WR) will be added with either a quality FA or a top 60 pick in the draft.

Keep adding young weapons to our offense. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not sure if they declined the team option. You also have Yannick, Carl Lawson, Carlos Dunlap to name a few.

Either way you slice it, they need an upgrade over Addison. He’s washed at this point.

Last I heard, Lawson was likely going back to Cinci.  

Yannick screams overpay from a team like the Jets.  I’d like him here, but I just don’t know how we compete financially for a guy like him.  

Beane will need to get super creative if he wants to go after a FA pass rusher that Is an upgrade over what we have.  

*Now if you want to ask me why Butler and Addison are still on this team, likely preventing us from going after any of the high priced guys, I wouldn’t really have an answer for you.

Edited by SCBills

5 hours ago, fansince88 said:

Why is your leg killing you?

Interesting, your reply to House is now to a post that was vaporized

3 hours ago, Motor26 said:

Yes. But Clooney is a potentially elite cheap 1 year prove it option. I’d roll the dice on him for the right price. Still would draft a pass rusher anyways as they are old at that position.

George Clooney ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

They are usually free agents for a reason. I don’t see any of those guys as elite game changers or big upgrades over what we already have

This year especially, there are guys entering FA who would not have reached it in other years.

They may not be elite game-changers, but hopefully we can add 1 or 2 higher-tier players who will improve our pass rush and our TE play.

I'm pretty sure that Beane has a list of players he'd like to sign and a list of exactly where to find the money hidden in our remaining contracts.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, CNYfan said:

I don't think Clowney has effected the QB much in the past two years.   

6 hours ago, CNYfan said:

I don't think Clowney has effected the QB much in the past two years.   

Or ever.  He is the most overrated player in the NFL.  0 sacks last year, and 3 in 2019.  He’s only played 16 games once in 7 years.  It’s not no, it’s heck no from Beane.  I’d love Ngakoue, but I seriously doubt we can or would pay for him.  Jonnu Smith is possible.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Anybody counting Beane out right now is hilarious lol DID NONE OF US LEARN ANYTHING IN THE LAST 48HOURS?!?!  it would surprise me more if he didnt find a way to land a premier pass rusher, ye of little faith!

Guilty here. I just "knew" that Milano was gone. I had already started to give him a Jets jersey. Then, once Milano had re-signed, I just "knew" that Williams was gone and we were looking to add 2 OL'man in the first 3 rounds of the draft. Now I'm just along for the ride because I have absolutely no idea what this mf will pull off next. :lol:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Motor26 said:

Yes. But Clooney is a potentially elite cheap 1 year prove it option. I’d roll the dice on him for the right price. Still would draft a pass rusher anyways as they are old at that position.

I didn't think his Batman held a candle to Bale's version, so I doubt he could be convincing as a football player.

7 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Beanes often have an unexpected surprise.

Well played.