Jordan Poyer admits to being an alcoholic

I don't understand some people on here giving Poyer grief about his pic on the car. He's not saying he's better than anyone else, but that being a player in the NFL his life wasn't as bad so it might have been hard to change. But he realized the seriousness and got help. I thought the pic is just him on his (expensive) car, sober, and being able to enjoy all the things that being an NFL player can provide while being sober and living life a lot happier and present than before. He mentions his kid and being too out of it to play with her and making his wife cry all the time. Things certainly weren't good. He's not better than anyone, but he's just showing that he's happy living his life now. People are so damn sensitive.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Eh, he’s just in that celebrity mode and maybe his ego hasn’t been downsized yet. He’s an NFL player, makes a ton of money, has a smoking hot celebrity wife in a small town that adores their team - I wouldn’t be Mr. Humility either. Unless you know him personally and have some inside knowledge about his insincerity, I’m willing to look past all that because it might help someone that needs a sign. 

This.  Is he "flexing" a bit?  Sure.  Might it be just the sign someone else needs to see, in the way they need to see it?  Can't say it isn't.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I don't get this whole inferiority complex with the car. He's rich and has expensive things in what way is that him saying he's better than anyone?

Well ya' see not that many people in their 20's are wealthy nowadays..........times are tough for that generation.........and there is a lot of social posturing at that age.........so they are often trying to make their lives look like what they think would be considered "great" online.

There's a lot more on google about the phenomena and we have some experts here.......I don't want to speak out of school but the bottom line appears to be that "it says more about them than anything".......amirite in that synopsis yolo?:flirt:

Heavy topic but admirable for him to come out about this. I hope his courage motivates others around the league, as well as fans, that are also struggling to take that step

Congrats to 1 year Jordan! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This.  Is he "flexing" a bit?  Sure.  Might it be just the sign someone else needs to see, in the way they need to see it?  Can't say it isn't.

Or could it make that someone feel more discouraged about their situation?.........in the exact way that insta flexing is so good at doing........and why it's such a great way to advertise products at the young,  impressionable and insecure?   

Can't say it isn't that either.

There is a mixed message but it's his message and he's entitled to post whatever he wants and celebrate however he sees fit.

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Or could it make that someone feel more discouraged about their situation?.........in the exact way that insta flexing is so good at doing........and why it's such a great way to advertise products at the young,  impressionable and insecure?   

Can't say it isn't that either.

There is a mixed message but it's his message and he's entitled to post whatever he wants and celebrate however he sees fit.

Fair point reasonably made.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

If I was the kind of person to call someone out for making a dick move, I'd call someone who posted what you posted, "someone who made a dick move."  A major one.

If I was the kind of person to call someone out for making a dick move, I'd call someone who posted what you three have posted, "someone who made a dick move."  A major one.

Always have great respect for your insight and feel a kinship as we have been here / followed the Bills many years. Just didn’t seem like your typical quality / demeanor. I mean you know this board , it’s filled with good analysis and also a lot of very funny guys posting humorous stuff all the time. It’s not some place of literary genius or puritanical thought.  It is what it is, a simple message board.  No one on here in my experience ever truly means to be hurtful and I am certain none here would turn  their backs on Someone in need or make light of a serious illness ( look at responses to pancho / pinto Ron’s surgery / someone losing a mom or josh losing a grandmother etc), and I know alcoholism would be included.  We have all said less than ideal things at times , amplified by our lack of professional comedic talent. So, why be surprised that in an attempt to lighten things , joke a little, a couple of posts missed the mark ?  Ideal, no. Worthy of character assault ,  adding nothing more positive by  calling a dick move, just adds another attack criticizing those who attacked poyer in your analysis. Perhaps it compounds things, forgetting we all.live in glass houses so who is qualified ti throw stones?! 

Just saying it’s a message board of people who usually stand together, nothing of real social consequence going on here, and maybe we should all defer our need to be negative. Post when adding  something that should not provoke more bad feelings, and do that old thing; if you can’t be positive ( on personal attributes etc) then why not just skip by what offends you , and not add more fuel to a fire?
  Just saying it’s a simple message board , is it enhanced by personal judgements on character or would it be better / just as good by skipping posting at times ?  Not meant as an attack on someone I really appreciate on here, just feels like sometimes a person can’t even post a legit critical OPINION-of the Bills without personal attacks levied and it’s like cancel culture run amuck. Just a simple message board and I doubt anyone here would make light of poyer s. Issue IRL, in person.  Not the first or last time there will be missed attempts at humor on here; easy to scroll past ! 😊 Not meant to offend, just thinking we can keep it light here, btw, always read and enjoy your insight on the Bills! 

• Like (+1) 1

I think any Bills fans who really pay too much attention (most of us here), and especially those of us who have experienced or lived with (or both) alcohol/substance abuse, have implicitly understood that our boy Poyer gets AFTER it off the field. Or at least used to. I'm actually shocked his exploits haven't gotten more coverage.

Maybe one of the benefits of being in the Buffalo market?  

I respect anyone who admits they have a problem and then works to overcome it.  Very happy for Jordan that he is in a good place.

I also think the culture in Buffalo had to make it a lot easier for him to “come out” like this.  These guys really do care about each other and this is a wonderful example of “becoming a better version of oneself.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, DrPJax said:

We have all said less than ideal things at times , amplified by our lack of professional comedic talent. So, why be surprised that in an attempt to lighten things , joke a little, a couple of posts missed the mark ?  Ideal, no. Worthy of character assault ,  adding nothing more positive by  calling a dick move, just adds another attack criticizing those who attacked poyer in your analysis. Perhaps it compounds things, forgetting we all.live in glass houses so who is qualified ti throw stones?! 

Internet Rule #1: “Don’t be offended by people who are offended.” 😜

In AA, there’s something called

Rule #62: “Don’t take yourself so damn seriously.” 

It came from a story in AA’s history where they tried to make too many rules for membership and failed. 

I understand the point you are trying to make, and give you credit for trying, but I’ve found it’s hard (and usually pointless) to get people to change their perspective in social media. Always worth a shot though! 😝

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I’m very happy he felt he was going down the wrong path.  I’m a little surprised unless there is more. It he went only three times.  He may have just not added any additional information.  The people that I’ve known going into AA or any other addictions forum like NA, usually go for an extended period of time.  As I mentioned, maybe he just didn’t want to elaborate more, and it’s his personal business.

I think it was nice he was willing to open himself up to others.  For those going south in this thread, I don’t know what to say.  You must not either know or are aware of people struggling with addictions.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I’m very happy he felt he was going down the wrong path.  I’m a little surprised unless there is more. It he went only three times.  He may have just not added any additional information.  The people that I’ve known going into AA or any other addictions forum like NA, usually go for an extended period of time.  As I mentioned, maybe he just didn’t want to elaborate more, and it’s his personal business.

I think it was nice he was willing to open himself up to others.  For those going south in this thread, I don’t know what to say.  You must not either know or are aware of people struggling with addictions.

I think perhaps their standpoint comes from knowing people who ARE in recovery.  The First Step of the 12 Steps is to admit you are powerless over alcohol and that your life has become unmanageable. The Second sSep is about there being a power greater than yourself to restore you to sanity. The Third Step is turning your will and life over to the care of that Higher Power.

Those steps are all about ego deflation and humility. The selfie of Jordan in from of his Lambo and mansion doesn’t shout “humility”. So, as I understand the criticism, that’s the beef some have with the situation. 

But Jordan didn’t say anything about being a member of AA or using the steps to recover. In fact, it would be against AA tradition to out yourself publicly. So, I think the criticism isn’t warranted from that standpoint.

Basically, it sounds to me like he found himself drinking too much, being told that by family finally sunk in, and he went to some meetings and got a dose of reality.  With that, he’s chosen to not drink. And now he’s celebrating a year without drinking by making a post of gratitude and desire to help others. 

People are going to judge others’ sincerity. Social media invites that kind of judgement. It’s the nature of the beast. But I do know I feel inspired whenever a public figure does express gratitude for sobriety, like Jason Isbell does in his interviews and songs, because I feel a bond that wouldn’t normally be there.