Jordan Poyer admits to being an alcoholic

21 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I'm no orator. You are correct. But since when do I have to speak my point, elagantly, to make my point Hap?? Im not , nor ever did, justify crap. Just saying that we see this everyday. most of us have in our lives.can we agree on that? Did we not all have an uncle or grandpa or cousin who struggled at some point? and why now do we reward one with a stage to make it different or more relevant?? My post wasn't political or social, but it sure turned into that quickly...didn't it? tough guy

“Tough guy” ? Looks passive-aggressive to me ....and your posts are get more confusing and contradictory...

7 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

When he said “those 3 meetings and I realized my issues weren’t even close to other’s.” Yeah he’s got more money than people in AA, but he still has the same issues if he’s an alcoholic. Doesn’t matter how rich or famous you are. An Alcoholic is an alcoholic, no one is better than the other or not even close to another person in AA.

Everyone gets to different levels of sickness.  Seems like he was referring to not having to smash his face on the rock bottom that is loss of jobs, families, kids, permanent disfigurement, jails, institutions and deaths, that a lot of us have to do, to seek help.  I dont think he was saying im rich losers LOL!  Ive seen people less sick then me get into recovery, and ive certainly seen people who needed more pain than i did to hit rock bottom.  Lets be glad he didnt have to go any lower than he did to make a change!

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Everyone gets to different levels of sickness.  Seems like he was referring to not having to smash his face on the rock bottom that is loss of jobs, families, kids, permanent disfigurement, jails, institutions and deaths, that a lot of us have to do, to seek help.  I dont think he was saying im rich losers LOL!  Ive seen people less sick then me get into recovery, and ive certainly seen people who needed more pain than i did to hit rock bottom.  Lets be glad he didnt have to go any lower than he did to make a change!

The only requirement for AA is “a desire to stop drinking.” So how is he better than anyone there? Cuz he has millions of dollars? 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Joe Mama said:

What disturbs me is saying he was an alcoholic. I stopped drinking 17 years ago, and have not had a drink since, but I am still an alcoholic. Once a cucumber gets pickled it becomes a pickle to never be a cucumber again.

Very proud of you. Great job, my man!! You’re what this thread should be about. Stay strong brother. 

• Like (+1) 3

As a fan of human flourishing, I absolutely love to see this and am happy for Jordan and am proud of him representing my team with his positive story and influence.

As a fan of the Bills, I’m excited to see if this helps him to continue to grow into a great player. He was very good last year (maybe his best year?) and having a monkey that sized off the back has to help the on field product, looking forward to another step this year!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

When he said “those 3 meetings and I realized my issues weren’t even close to other’s.” Yeah he’s got more money than people in AA, but he still has the same issues if he’s an alcoholic. Doesn’t matter how rich or famous you are. An Alcoholic is an alcoholic, no one is better than the other or not even close to another person in AA.

He never said he is better than them. He said their issues were worse. He was drinking to cope with things like a playoff loss and an nfl contract. He realized he didnt need to drink to “cope” with his self perceived “issues.” Everyone has issues that are giant to them but would not be to others. Seems like self-awareness to me. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

The only requirement for AA is “a desire to stop drinking.” So how is he better than anyone there? Cuz he has millions of dollars? 

He never said he was better than anyone there bro!  He just caught his illness before it took him down to where it takes alot of us.  Seems like hes less sick then the guy trying for the 1st time at 55 to sober up.  Its a progressive disease, it wouldnt get better if he waited 20 more years to address it.  I really dunno where your axe to grind is coming from.  He used his platform to try and help other addicts... whats the issue?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I think this is probably alot more common in the NFL than we all realize. Young people with alot of money and alot of free time. Not saying that was poyers issue, but i definitely think it's way more common than we all know. I hope he's able to stay sober for himself and his family. It's definitely a great thing that he made that post. I think he could be a positive influence for those struggling 

Edited by Steptide
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Steptide said:

I think this is probably alot more common in the NFL that we all realize. Young people with alot of money and alot free time. Not saying that was poyers issue, but i definitely think it's way more common than we all know. I hope he's able to stay sober for himself and his family. It's definitely a great thing that he made that post. I think he could be a positive influence for those struggling 

It is very very common both in college and nfl. Alcohol, drugs and depression. That’s why stories of self awareness and self improvement inspire me. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

When he said “those 3 meetings and I realized my issues weren’t even close to other’s life issues.” Yeah he’s got more money than people in AA, but he still has the same issues if he’s an alcoholic. Doesn’t matter how rich or famous you are. An Alcoholic is an alcoholic, no one is better than the other or not even close to another person in AA.

You forgot that part you know to put more actual context to what he said. I'm not sure at what point saying other people are dealing with worse life issues than you = saying you're better than them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

He never said he was better than anyone there bro!  He just caught his illness before it took him down to where it takes alot of us.  Seems like hes less sick then the guy trying for the 1st time at 55 to sober up.  Its a progressive disease, it wouldnt get better if he waited 20 more years to address it.  I really dunno where your axe to grind is coming from.  He used his platform to try and help other addicts... whats the issue?

"I realized my issues were not even close to other’s life issues" is a judgement.    Judgement = ego.   Some would say that's incongruent with recovery.   And not necessarily a true statement.   Maybe they don't wish they'd sustained 8 concussions or whatever and have had their wife talking about expecting him to be physically handicapped after football.    It's all relative, is it not?   So while it doesn't bother you,  that's fine........you probably shouldn't shout down another addict whom it does........even if you are trying to put a friendly spin on it like he is totally mis-understanding him or something.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

"I realized my issues were not even close to other’s life issues" is a judgement.    Judgement = ego.   Some would say that's incongruent with recovery.   And not necessarily a true statement.   Maybe they don't wish they'd sustained 8 concussions or whatever and have had their wife talking about expecting him to be physically handicapped after football.    It's all relative, is it not?   So while it doesn't bother you,  that's fine........you probably shouldn't shout down another addict whom it does........even if you are trying to put a friendly spin on it like he is totally mis-understanding him or something.

So if I say I'm in a better situation than someone who randomly got hit by a bus I'm somehow saying I'm better than them?

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You’re lecturing someone about shouting down another addict when you made this statement 3 pages back? 

Glad he is in a good place.

Now is the time to hit him up for a pay cut.

What makes you think you can talk about sympathy and how to treat people? Seriously... maybe it doesn’t bother you but it surely bothered other folks on here... even if you were saying it in jest... which is equally as grotesque as what you’re lecturing someone on. 

You’ve been shouting down an addict in Poyer across this thread... don’t you find any irony in your statement? 

Can’t wait to watch the word gymnastics you perform next... 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

So if I say I'm in a better situation than someone who randomly got hit by a bus I'm somehow saying I'm better than them?

You clearly have never struggled with any substances in your life. Poyer was posing on his Lambo or whatever saying his life isn’t as bad as other alcoholics. No ***** dude you’ve got a Lambo which only .1% of people can afford if not less. I’m glad he’s clean but to think he’s better than any other alcoholic is non sense. We’re all in the same boat. 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Am I the only one that thinks this thread title is a bit misleading? 

He’s celebrating one year sober. THAT should be the major headline. 

“Poyer admits he’s an alcoholic” seems...I don’t know....not quite as accurate a descriptor as it could be. 

Also he insinuates his mom was an alcoholic, which as I understand it can be genetic (I could be wrong but think I read that) ... guess I don’t love the word “admit” like he’s some kind of bad person. This is something that does not discriminate and happens to many good people. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe Mama said:

What disturbs me is saying he was an alcoholic. I stopped drinking 17 years ago, and have not had a drink since, but I am still an alcoholic. Once a cucumber gets pickled it becomes a pickle to never be a cucumber again.

Yeah man, the scary part is if you start thinking you aren't an alcoholic or addict any longer. The very next thought is-- maybe I can have just one this time.

Release is not an experience I wish on anyone who truly does suffer from the disease of addiction. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

The disconnect that you and @YoloinOhio  seem to have is that being a recovering addict it's considered essential to let go of judgements as part of containing your ego.   You aren't any better or worse off.......you are simply an addict.

As a non-addict.........perhaps you're ego isn't hurting you at all...........it strengthens many (though I would say that Yolo may have an internet addiction you should have looked at).

Asked my buddy who is a sponsor to look at it and he said that it looks like Poyer just quit drinking but is kinda' posing as if he is in recovery.......which is different.....it's a process.   It's going to hit some people like that.

15 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

You clearly have never struggled with any substances in your life. Poyer was posing on his Lambo or whatever saying his life isn’t as bad as other alcoholics. No ***** dude you’ve got a Lambo which only .1% of people can afford if not less. I’m glad he’s clean but to think he’s better than any other alcoholic is non sense. We’re all in the same boat. 

After looking at his post I see exactly what you're saying... I'd like to think he didn't meant it that way... my interpretation was that he meant the traumatic experiences (playoff loss, contract issues) that lead him to the place that he was were insignificant compared to the traumatic experiences that lead the people he was surrounded with to that same place... not that his life was better than theirs... but I can completely understand how it came across in a way where he made it seem like he thought he was better than the people he was in AA with.

Not trying to dismiss you at all... just giving my initial interpretation of what he said... but fully understand your point of view and definitely see where it came across exactly that way.

Trying to find some common ground here.

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 3