Jordan Poyer admits to being an alcoholic

7 minutes ago, Markaf431 said:

in the Instagram post he says he was an alcoholic. I took a bit of a liberty as I’m of the mindset that once you are an addict of any type, you’re always that, you just may be recovering or fighting the battle. 

I took it mainly off his words. Didn’t mean for it to come across misleading. 

Fair enough. Thanks.

The addition of Hyde and Poyer might go hand and hand with the (indirect) turnaround of this franchise. The ground they cover gives us so much freedom on defense and they truly are 2 of the most underrated players in the league. Forever going forward, I will be in debt for the work that these guys have done on the field....Poyer is an all time Bill as far as I’m concerned and I pray that his life off the field is a happy one. Alcoholism is a very serious issue and if Poyer has overcome that, then that is an amazing accomplishment. I hope all is well with him going forward and I want him to know that he has the support of Bills mafia. On and off the field.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

As a close friend of numerous alcoholics and recovering addicts of other substances......and therefore meeting new ones and their stories all the time......the message of "whoa, those guys at AA are really f*cked up.......I went 3 times and I'm scared straight" while posing in front of a pile of money on wheels in luxurious abode.........ehhh........maybe not universally useful........but cool story anyway, bro.           

As someone in a constant battle, that pissed me off. No one goes into AA and just decided they are better than the people there. You’re ALL there for the same reason. Because you’re an alcoholic. All on the same level, whether an NFL player, or a guy off the street. It’s the same struggle. I do hope he’s doing well in his road to recovery, but to paint himself as above the people he met in AA is despicable. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well what the hell else do you call it when you're asking if a combat veteran suffering from addiction is a "monster" relative to a heroin addict then bring up this apparent red herring of Antonio Brown?

They're both struggling with addiction, and so apparently was Poyer.  I personally don't need to pass judgement about whether one has more "justification" than another, but apparently you do.  If you have another point, it's not coming across clearly here.

Back when we thought Antonio Brown might come here I remember trying to look up where this came from and only found stories all citing the same random tweet so I don't know if this was ever really an actual thing anyway. But overall who ***** cares it has nothing to do with this.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

agree with this. but if a man comes home from war, and life is upside down, and he turns to alcohol, is he a monster compared to a 21 year old heroin addict? I mean, if my future wife boned Antonio Brown, i'd be a lush too? would you? are we gonna talk feelings? I place no judgement on ANYONE. and if they come back, great on them. where do you draw a line between understandable or hero? THAT'S my point

Who am I to judge his or anyone’s home life. I don’t.  I felt inspired by his story. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well what the hell else do you call it when you're asking if a combat veteran suffering from addiction is a "monster" relative to a heroin addict then bring up this apparent red herring of Antonio Brown?

They're both struggling with addiction, and so apparently was Poyer.  I personally don't need to pass judgement about whether one has more "justification" than another, but apparently you do.  If you have another point, it's not coming across clearly here.

I'm no orator. You are correct. But since when do I have to speak my point, elagantly, to make my point Hap?? Im not , nor ever did, justify crap. Just saying that we see this everyday. most of us have in our lives.can we agree on that? Did we not all have an uncle or grandpa or cousin who struggled at some point? and why now do we reward one with a stage to make it different or more relevant?? My post wasn't political or social, but it sure turned into that quickly...didn't it? tough guy

1 minute ago, Motor26 said:

As someone in a constant battle, that pissed me off. No one goes into AA and just decided they are better than the people there. You’re ALL there for the same reason. Because you’re an alcoholic. All on the same level, whether an NFL player, or a guy off the street. It’s the same struggle. I do hope he’s doing well in his road to recovery, but to paint himself as above the people he met in AA is despicable. 

He didn't do that, he basically said he didn't have problems as bad as the other people at the meetings he went to he didn't judge them or say he was better than them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Where did he do that? He didn’t 

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Jesus, that's a *****-up distortion of what Poyer actually said not to mention an interpretation that says far more about your mentality and world view than I really want to know.  Put some clothes on (mentally speaking) no one wants to see your junk.

That's not a very cool story, bro.........more like an attempt at a very personal attack on the main board.   

Again, I commend Poyer for putting down the bottle.........it's not the answer to anything..........malicious attacks on a message board aren't either.:thumbdown:    

Im in active recovery over here, this was great.  People that have been in the rooms can nit pick his post about terminology all they want, doesnt matter.  We all have different stories, and he doesnt know the subtleties of the lingo.  Lord knows theres plenty of Bills fans and Buffalonians that could benefit from hearing the story, and for me was a nice reassurance of the day, of my own reasons for quitting!  Thanks Poyer!!!!!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

The post is about how he is one year sober. How he recognized that he had a problem and overcame his alcoholism.

Good for him. His post took courage. 

agree... thread title should probably be modified

1 minute ago, BuffAlone said:

I'm no orator. You are correct. But since when do I have to speak my point, elagantly, to make my point Hap?? Im not , nor ever did, justify crap. Just saying that we see this everyday. most of us have in our lives.can we agree on that? Did we not all have an uncle or grandpa or cousin who struggled at some point? and why now do we reward one with a stage to make it different or more relevant?? My post wasn't political or social, but it sure turned into that quickly...didn't it? tough guy

"tough guy"?  WTF?  I guess I must deserve that somehow?  Sounds like you've got a problem.

You don't have to speak your point eloquently or elegantly.  But it has to be able to be understood. 

Yes, I think pretty much all of us have seen and dealt with addiction and alcoholism in one way or another. 

But where does the stuff about "rewarding one with a stage" come from?  Poyer was rewarded with a stage by becoming a successful professional athlete that 168,000 people follow on Instagram for whatever reasons.

If he chooses to use that stage to share personal information about struggles he's had behind the scenes, what exactly is the problem with that?  

You might not find it helpful or inspirational, that's fine.  People who you know who are dealing with addiction issues might not find it helpful or inspirational, also fine.  But maybe someone will.  And maybe that someone would not be able to relate to, or find inspiration from, a different story from a different guy.  Who knows? 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"tough guy"?  WTF?  I guess I must deserve that somehow?  Sounds like you've got a problem.

You don't have to speak your point eloquently or elegantly.  But it has to be able to be understood. 

Yes, I think pretty much all of us have seen and dealt with addiction and alcoholism in one way or another. 

But where does the stuff about "rewarding one with a stage" come from?  Poyer was rewarded with a stage by becoming a successful professional athlete that 168,000 people follow on Instagram for whatever reasons.

If he chooses to use that stage to share personal information about struggles he's had behind the scenes, what exactly is the problem with that?  

You might not find it helpful or inspirational, that's fine.  People who you know who are dealing with addiction issues might not find it helpful or inspirational, also fine.  But maybe someone will.  And maybe that someone would not be able to relate to, or find inspiration from, a different story from a different guy.  Who knows? 

I like your point Hap. I'm as open as it gets. However, you have a history of being repressive.  so I can't quite believe a word you say. Namastè

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 2

55 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Crazy he was able to play at such a high level while being an alcoholic...good for him he got his life in order...

that was my first thought too.  Although, maybe he was able to “turn it off” from July - December a little?  Who knows. 

9 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Thank you.      

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Where did he do that? He didn’t 

When he said “those 3 meetings and I realized my issues weren’t even close to other’s.” Yeah he’s got more money than people in AA, but he still has the same issues if he’s an alcoholic. Doesn’t matter how rich or famous you are. An Alcoholic is an alcoholic, no one is better than the other or not even close to another person in AA.

• Like (+1) 1