Jordan Poyer admits to being an alcoholic

15 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

You’re lecturing someone about shouting down another addict when you made this statement 3 pages back? 

Glad he is in a good place.

Now is the time to hit him up for a pay cut.

It was a joke, dude.

Laughter is the best medicine.........well.......I mean drugs are the best medicine.........but if you can't take them laughter is pretty good.

9 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

You clearly have never struggled with any substances in your life. Poyer was posing on his Lambo or whatever saying his life isn’t as bad as other alcoholics. No ***** dude you’ve got a Lambo which only .1% of people can afford if not less. I’m glad he’s clean but to think he’s better than any other alcoholic is non sense. We’re all in the same boat. 

He never said that. It's one sentence from like three decent sized paragraphs, and he's not judging other people he's talking about perspective he got from those meetings. If that perspective is that other people that are dealing with this same issue have it tougher than him and that helps him in this process that's fine. I don't see how that's saying he's better or worse than someone. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Also he insinuates his mom was an alcoholic, which as I understand it can be genetic (I could be wrong but think I read that) ... guess I don’t love the word “admit” like he’s some kind of bad person. This is something that does not discriminate and happens to many good people. 

A more accurate title would be "Jordan Poyer discusses his struggle with Alcoholism"

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The disconnect that you and @YoloinOhio  seem to have is that being a recovering addict it's considered essential to let go of judgements as part of containing your ego.   You aren't any better or worse off.......you are simply an addict.

As a non-addict.........perhaps you're ego isn't hurting you at all...........it strengthens many (though I would say that Yolo may have an internet addiction you should have looked at).

Asked my buddy who is a sponsor to look at it and he said that it looks like Poyer just quit drinking but is kinda' posing as if he is in recovery.......which is different.....it's a process.   It's going to hit some people like that.

🤔

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

that was my first thought too.  Although, maybe he was able to “turn it off” from July - December a little?  Who knows. 

Usually that team atmosphere and having a clear purpose in season does wonders for these guys. Preferably they work their demons out before leaving the game. 

Although Brett Favre's story of checking into rehab after his Superbowl win and 2nd consecutive MVP never ceases to amaze me.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Me neither. It's a positive message and some looked for the negative. Says more about them than him.

That they are recovering addicts or sensitive to their struggle?:doh:

Talk about throwing around a dismissive, nothing statement inappropriately.

You and Hap know your way around the google machine,  but still.........sometimes it's OK to accept that you might not know what you don't know.

• Eyeroll 1

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I really didn't think this would be a controversial topic. Silly me.

Yeah, that's how it is sometimes

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That they are recovering addicts or sensitive to their struggle?:doh:

Talk about throwing around a dismissive, nothing statement inappropriately.

You and Hap know your way around the google machine,  but still.........sometimes it's OK to accept that you might not know what you don't know.

The irony, it burns.

I have a dog in this fight. 😂

I totally relate to Poyer’s post. After a DWI, I started thinking maybe I do have a problem and eventually went to AA for about a month. I felt exactly like Poyer described - I didn’t feel my problem was anywhere near as bad as the stories I was hearing in meetings. I made the mistake of “comparing rather than relating”. I decided I would quit drinking on my own and stopped going to AA. 

Nine years later, after two serious blackout incidents - at Bills games no less - I went to outpatient rehab and went full bore into AA. That was 11 years ago. 

If Poyer just was drinking too much to cope with stress, he may be able to just stop on his own like he says he is. But if he’s truly an alcoholic, and it is more likely if his Mom is because the disease is hereditary, then I hope he decides to get help and remain in some type of recovery program because it will always get you eventually. 

Regardless of all that, I admire the post he made and sent him a DM telling him so. I believe his heart was in the right place and he is sincerely trying to be grateful for his sobriety and to help others. To me, he obviously has a lot of self-confidence, and the photo he posted with his statement reflects his celebrity status. But I totally admire anyone’s desire to help others, even if it comes off as insincere to some. His post inspired me a great deal. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It was a joke, dude.

Laughter is the best medicine.........well.......I mean drugs are the best medicine.........but if you can't take them laughter is pretty good.

Great joke.

While you’re making jokes about alcoholism do you have any about rape, depression, suicide, genocide, poverty or murder? 

***** #######. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

No. You and Yolo just have no idea what it’s like. Sorry we don’t all meet your standards of excellence. 

No idea what what is like? Alcoholism?  You are wrong. I wish you weren’t,  but you are. I’m proud of Jordan, and I’m done with this thread. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I may get flack for this, by some here, but J Poyer has "courage." I respect this dude for admitting he was an alcoholic and for the strength as a man to admit that big sickness, wrong or weakness,  to want to deal with issues in other ways, and to abstain from  that and be more himself or a better person. I respect him far more than any wanne be tough guys who never admit such problems or blame everybody else for their ways. Let's call it like it is. Being an alcoholic is not cool. It kills, hurts others, and ruins families, and makes one look certainly not strong. It's a disease or sickness in ways, yes. It's never to late to accept help or get help. Until one has courage or strength to change, or the wisdom to admits the cold, hard truths about alcoholism, and to want to do something about it, there is less hope. It's one thing to have a drink or two on occasion, but when that eventually turns to more and more, and when one cannot stop doing it and keeps getting into problems because of it, do the right thing, if not for yourself then for others you care about, though yeah, that latter may rarely work if you don't want to stop for your own health, safety and sanity. Dudes, get stronger in other ways than that. Become stronger physically, mentally, socially, or whatever else, to cause life's tough issues be less scary. Congrats To JP for taking the steps to be a better, smarter, more caring and/or healthier man. You've already succeeded there. 

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I really didn't think this would be a controversial topic. Silly me.

Suggestions to avoid controversy:

- Have your agent edit a statement like that.

- Don't use a self aggrandizing photo for that kind of content........on the couch, sans shades, smiling and holding baby with (fully clothed) wife would be more apropos.

- THEN later send the self aggradizing lambo pic but make sure Rachel is semi-clothed in it.

43 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

You clearly have never struggled with any substances in your life. Poyer was posing on his Lambo or whatever saying his life isn’t as bad as other alcoholics. No ***** dude you’ve got a Lambo which only .1% of people can afford if not less. I’m glad he’s clean but to think he’s better than any other alcoholic is non sense. We’re all in the same boat. 

I don't think that's what Poyer said at all, but it's not a horse I'm going to beat here.  I can see you have your interpretation and that's where you'll stand.

But this business of declaring what other people here have or have not dealt with, just maybe you should step back from that a bit.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Great joke.

While you’re making jokes about alcoholism do you have any about rape, depression, suicide, genocide, poverty or murder? 

***** #######. 

What’s the difference between poverty and my ex-wife?

Poverty sucks.

• Haha (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

- Don't use a self aggrandizing photo for that kind of content........on the couch, sans shades, smiling and holding baby with (fully clothed) wife would be more apropos.

- THEN later send the self aggradizing lambo pic but make sure Rachel is semi-clothed in it.

Eh, he’s just in that celebrity mode and maybe his ego hasn’t been downsized yet. He’s an NFL player, makes a ton of money, has a smoking hot celebrity wife in a small town that adores their team - I wouldn’t be Mr. Humility either. Unless you know him personally and have some inside knowledge about his insincerity, I’m willing to look past all that because it might help someone that needs a sign. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't get this whole inferiority complex with the car. He's rich and has expensive things in what way is that him saying he's better than anyone?

1 minute ago, chknwing334 said:

I've been looking up the same videos because of this thread.

• Like (+1) 1