Jordan Poyer admits to being an alcoholic

3 minutes ago, Markaf431 said:

the definition of hero is different for everyone. In my view, individuals who overcome or learn to function successfully with addictions or mental health issues are heroes in their own right. Just because the public doesn’t see or recognize people for overcoming them, doesn’t make them any less of a hero than anyone else. 

i agree

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

As a close friend of numerous alcoholics and recovering addicts of other substances......and therefore meeting new ones and their stories all the time......the message of "whoa, those guys at AA are really f*cked up.......I went 3 times and I'm scared straight" while posing in front of a pile of money on wheels in luxurious abode.........ehhh........maybe not universally useful........but cool story anyway, bro.           

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

As a close friend of numerous alcoholics and recovering addicts of other substances......and therefore meeting new ones and their stories all the time......the message of "whoa, those guys at AA are really f*cked up.......I went 3 times and I'm scared straight" while posing in front of a pile of money on wheels in luxurious abode.........ehhh........maybe not universally useful........but cool story anyway, bro.           

Yeah that’s exactly what he said....Jealous much? Trashing people who are seemingly trying to help others is pretty pathetic 

2 minutes ago, Markaf431 said:

the definition of hero is different for everyone. In my view, individuals who overcome or learn to function successfully with addictions or mental health issues are heroes in their own right. Just because the public doesn’t see or recognize people for overcoming them, doesn’t make them any less of a hero than anyone else. 

This

Plus apparently he started his recovery successfully during Covid lockdown, a very stressful and isolating time, and without any "resort club" rehab.  Had to have been tough

I don't see why people feel the need to snark on this.  Says way more about them than him IMHO.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I can decide for myself who I think is a hero. If he inspires someone To turn their life around. I have so much respect for him for this 

No doubt. I am in grad school for mental health counseling, and just this past week attended two open AA meetings for a class assignment. It was my first experience with an actual AA meeting. I got to say the courage it takes to be completely vulnerable in front of a room full of people, most if not all strangers, is moving. Never underestimate the power of one persons story for other’s experiencing similar issues.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This sort of also explains his wife being so vocal about his contract situation right after the end of last season.  I thought it came out of nowhere, yet it didn’t— it apparently was causing him a lot of stress and contributing to his issues. 

She'd been vocal about it the previous season as well IIRC. 

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Jesus, that's a *****-up distortion of what Poyer actually said not to mention an interpretation that says far more about your mentality and world view than I really want to know.  Put some clothes on (mentally speaking) no one wants to see your junk.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Good for him. Glad he's gotten his personal life in order. It's probably even more tempting for him because he's rich, famous, and able to do or have pretty much anything he wants. He could go hang with all of the music stars and other star athletes who are out there "living it up" so to speak. Instead he has chosen a different path. 

What disturbs me is saying he was an alcoholic. I stopped drinking 17 years ago, and have not had a drink since, but I am still an alcoholic. Once a cucumber gets pickled it becomes a pickle to never be a cucumber again.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Crazy he was able to play at such a high level while being an alcoholic...good for him he got his life in order...

You can be an alcoholic and perform at a high level. It’s a misconception. Not every alcoholic beats their wife, ends up in jail, and can’t hold a job. 

Edited by Maynard
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I'd be an alcoholic too if my soon to be wife boned Antonio Brown. just saying...that's alot to deal with

18 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

agree with this. but if a man comes home from war, and life is upside down, and he turns to alcohol, is he a monster compared to a 21 year old heroin addict? I mean, if my future wife boned Antonio Brown, i'd be a lush too? would you? are we gonna talk feelings? I place no judgement on ANYONE. and if they come back, great on them. where do you draw a line between understandable or hero? THAT'S my point

What exactly is your fixation on Antonio Brown and Poyer's wife? 

Poyer didn't use that as a factor behind his addiction, so I'm not exactly sure where you're going with all this, except that it seems very weird.  Obviously the two of them got married and moved on and have worked through some other stuff and stayed married. 

You say you place no judgement on anyone, yet your post seems all about moral relativism (this addict compared to that addict compared to pre-maritial infidelity). 

I think the point of Poyer's post is, this is a problem that can affect anyone, at any level of success, it's embarrassing and difficult to talk about, and it's important to do so anyway because however many material things they have, an addiction problem still takes a toll on the children and spouses and families.  It's important for a rich successful athlete to speak publicly because you never know what life experience will speak to, and be helpful to, someone else who is struggling.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

agree with this. but if a man comes home from war, and life is upside down, and he turns to alcohol, is he a monster compared to a 21 year old heroin addict? I mean, if my future wife boned Antonio Brown, i'd be a lush too? would you? are we gonna talk feelings? I place no judgement on ANYONE. and if they come back, great on them. where do you draw a line between understandable or hero? THAT'S my point

personally, if I’m following you correctly, I don’t think anyone has a right to cast judgement without knowing circumstances. He may not be a hero in your view, which is fine, but for other athletes or highly successful people struggling with an issue, he may be a huge hero to them, for showing it doesn’t only impact certain demographics, and that it’s non discriminatory. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Am I the only one that thinks this thread title is a bit misleading? 

He’s celebrating one year sober. THAT should be the major headline. 

“Poyer admits he’s an alcoholic” seems...I don’t know....not quite as accurate a descriptor as it could be. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What exactly is your fixation on Antonio Brown and Poyer's wife? 

Poyer didn't use that as a factor behind his addiction, so I'm not exactly sure where you're going with all this, except that it seems very weird.  Obviously the two of them got married and moved on and have worked through some other stuff and stayed married. 

You say you place no judgement on anyone, yet your post seems all about moral relativism (this addict compared to that addict compared to pre-maritial infidelity). 

read the rest of my post hap?moral relativism?? puke. cancel me. idc

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Am I the only one that thinks this thread title is a bit misleading? 

He’s celebrating one year sober. THAT should be the major headline. 

“Poyer admits he’s an alcoholic” seems...I don’t know....not quite as accurate a descriptor as it could be. 

in the Instagram post he says he was an alcoholic. I took a bit of a liberty as I’m of the mindset that once you are an addict of any type, you’re always that, you just may be recovering or fighting the battle. 

I took it mainly off his words. Didn’t mean for it to come across misleading. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Markaf431 said:

personally, if I’m following you correctly, I don’t think anyone has a right to cast judgement without knowing circumstances. He may not be a hero in your view, which is fine, but for other athletes or highly successful people struggling with an issue, he may be a huge hero to them, for showing it doesn’t only impact certain demographics, and that it’s non discriminatory. 

I meant no harm. just pointing out that if "heros" get daily news cycles, we should make it easier to acess the every day people who suffer and overcome. didnt mean to upset the norm. EVERYBODY here knows someone who struggled. its called suck it up buttercup lol

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

read the rest of my post hap?moral relativism?? puke. cancel me. idc

Well what the hell else do you call it when you're asking if a combat veteran suffering from addiction is a "monster" relative to a heroin addict then bring up this apparent red herring of Antonio Brown?

They're both struggling with addiction, and so apparently was Poyer.  I personally don't need to pass judgement about whether one has more "justification" than another, but apparently you do.  If you have another point, it's not coming across clearly here.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Joe Mama said:

What disturbs me is saying he was an alcoholic. I stopped drinking 17 years ago, and have not had a drink since, but I am still an alcoholic. Once a cucumber gets pickled it becomes a pickle to never be a cucumber again.

He technically didn't say that, he said he decided to quit drinking a year ago because he was an alcoholic.

Ignoring a bunch of weird stuff on here this was a nice statement from him sharing something difficult for him in the hopes that it could inspire other people to seek help.

• Like (+1) 1