What’s your earliest memory of the Buffalo Bills?

Bill Simpson intercepting Richard Todd to preserve the win against the Jets in the 1981 WC game. I was 9. Pretty sure my dad made me watch it when it was 24-0 because he was convinced Bills history was being made. I don’t really remember much of the specifics of the game except we were watching it in the kitchen on a portable television and there was a whole lot of swearing... then sudden unexpected jubilation with the win... talk about foreshadowing. 

Edited by transient

My dad, brother and I watching the illegal forward pass game vs Tennessee. Putting the walls up on a shed watching the play happen and watching those walls hit the ground. They laid in the grass until the next day. 

I first started watching/listening to Bills games with the 1970 season but in ‘69 my home room teacher posted the scores on the walls around the room which got me interested.  I would also look at the Buffalo News frontpage in the newspaper boxes on my way to school.

I remember seeing “Jack Kemp Announces Retirement “

51 minutes ago, ColeB said:

I first started watching/listening to Bills games with the 1970 season but in ‘69 my home room teacher posted the scores on the walls around the room which got me interested.  I would also look at the Buffalo News frontpage in the newspaper boxes on my way to school.

I remember seeing “Jack Kemp Announces Retirement “

You’re saying you just barely missed the Dan Darraugh era? Lucky you!

Mine would be the "Stupor Bowl Shuffle". The Rochester D&C did a parody of the '85 Bears' Super Bowl Shuffle, as the Bills were at that time were a 2-14 perennial loser. I vaguely remember watching games prior to that, and being aware of Joe Ferguson in my early life, but I think the Stupor Bowl Shuffle is the first thing I remember with any detail. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/13/2021 at 8:27 AM, Mojo44 said:

The 1963 season. They lost the AFL championship game to the Boston Pats*. I was 10 growing up in Niagara Falls.  Do the math. Yes, I’m that old. 😁

That's ok Mojo. We old guys remember the "old days" with fond memories. FWIW, I was 15 during the '63 season growing up in Niagara county.

Go Bills!

Since I grew up in Long Island, I didn't get to see many Bills games as a kid.  I was 13 watching the AFL championship game for the rights to go to the 1st Super Bowl.  During the broadcast from the Rockpile, they were showing some banners in the stands.  One of the banners said "Bills in Super Bowl, Chiefs in soup bowl" and if I recall correctly they had drawn a soup bowl with Chiefs players in it & steam coming out of the bowl.  I thought it was the greatest banner I'd ever seen.  

Years later when it came around to Super Bowl time, I'd hear someone say on the air that they didn't call the Super Bowl the Super Bowl until SBIII.  I got so obsessed to prove them wrong, remembering the banner, I went to the Buffalo public library & found the Courier Express from the day after the game.  As you can see, the paper says "Kansas City Team Gains Super Bowl"  

27336190_1604400546262265_5239142012194452102_n.thumb.jpg.c4178d959cbb1ee6863dcdf4fd25aada.jpg

1 hour ago, RunJoshRun said:

I don't remember this front page of the Courier at all.  Maybe you got a photoshopped version???

It was from the microfilm in the Buffalo Public Library in Downtown Buffalo of the actual newspapers that period & I ran the microfilm until I reached the right day.  I read other parts of the newspaper.  What's wrong with you?  Who photoshops a newspaper in Buffalo's biggest library that's on microfilm from 1967?  You might be thinking of the Buffalo Evening News.   

Edited by Albany,n.y.