What’s your earliest memory of the Buffalo Bills?

It was Nov 1984 and I was 8 years old and the Bills were playing against the Washington Redskins and were getting beat down and I recall me hoping the Bills would win and my step brother said don't waste your time because the Bills are garbage and at that moment my fandom for the team was born.

6 hours ago, klos63 said:

OJ's stride was a thing of beauty, it was like he was gliding, but nobody could catch him. Still the most enjoyable back to watch, to this day.

I was at War Memorial for a game against the Boston Patriots in 1970, in 1971, i was at the Houston game,the fans were chanting good bye Harvey. I had to have my father explain that to me. I was 8 at the time.

No specific play or game but definitely OJ for me. 100% agree with the bolded. 

In September 1990, I came to Rochester as as a postdoc. On Mondays, all the other people in the lab and my "boss" were talking about "the Bills". I decided to give it a shot and started to watch a few Bills games, and I found the game of American football utterly confusing. More into the 1990/91 season, the rules and the game itself became more obvious to me. Thus, there is no precise date I can put on my earliest memory, but I can still remember how disappointed and sad I was after Super Bowl XXV.    

Fast forward, my son, who was born in Rochester in 1999, is now an avid Bills fan, although we moved to Texas when he was just 4.

My father was a Giants fan (old school NFL guy). He wanted me to be a Giants fan too. I even remember wearing a Giants poncho to elementary school when it rained. 
We rarely watched any other games besides the Giants. But in ‘73 we would watch the Bills, mainly to watch OJ. When he got the 2000, I decided to become a Bills fan. I had just turned 10 years old.  My dad was probably disappointed, but he never said anything and never tried to discourage my fandom. 

• Like (+1) 1

October 1987. My dad went down to Buffalo for a game with a group of friends. I listened  to it on the radio. I didn’t know much about it, but I knew my dad and his friends were excited to be there so I was excited to listen. The Bills beat the Giants in overtime and my dad came back from the game with a big smile and his friends all cheered when they drove away after dropping him off. I knew they had a good time and I heard the energy in the stadium through the radio. I was hooked.

December 1969 was a vivid memory for me.  I had earlier memories but this one stands out. The Bills lost to the Chiefs for the 2nd time that season.  The score was 22 - 19 and for the 2nd time Stenerud kicked 5 FG's to beat Buffalo.  I remember my dad and uncle complaining that they shouldn't even allow FG's in football.  They wanted to ban the damn things. I remember being surprised at how angry they got.

A month later our whole house was packed and rooting hard for the Chiefs to win the Super Bowl.  My dad & uncle loved it when Stenerud kicked those first 3 FG's to put the Chiefs up 9 - 0! 

Back then the AFL/NFL rivalry was a real thing.  The NFL lost something great with the merger.  You old school fans know what I'm talking about.  There was a camaraderie among AFL fans that was unique in sports.  We all rooted for the Jets in the 1969 and then the Chiefs in the 1970 Super Bowls.

MCM, but if I'm being honest I was just kind of watching people around me freak out. Wasn't very memorable.

My first memory of being an invested Bills fan was vivid. It was something like watching JP Losman run a screen play, 4th and 10, en route to a 6-8 loss to the Browns.. at the time needing a win and like 3 other teams to lose to make the playoffs at 8-8.

It was miserable looking back. But it was the best fan experience I had ever had at the time. I was hooked.

So something like 2004 I guess.

Edited by FormerlyPT5P

My uncle had season tickets and took me to the Sep 22, 1963 game against the Kansas City Chiefs.

I still remember the smell of the hot dogs cooked over charcoal when we walked to the seats.

We sat behind Chief's wide receiver Chris Burford's parents.

The game ended up in a tie, but I never forgot the atmosphere.

Richie Lucas to #44 Elbert "Golden Wheels" Dubenion. TOUCHDOWN!!!   AFL's first season:  1960

1960 Bills vs Jets:  Head Coach Buster Ramsey running across the field to the Jets' bench, waving Bills players to follow, to fight (real fist fighting) the Jets. 

Early sixties (pre arrival of Cookie Gilchrist from Canadian League and of #15 Jack Kemp, who was picked up for $100 from Chargers in 1964 or 1965):  Billy Shaw, Mike Stratton, Glenn Bass #81(?), Wilber Fowler.  Please add others.

I had foggy memories of OJ and Fergy in the late 70’s, but one of my distinct memories was beating the Fins for the opener in 1980 at Rich 17-7.  It was so awesome as we were beaten 20 times in the 70’s by the Fish.  That was a great year.  Knox just exuded confidence and we would be a winner.  He’s definitely the forgotten winning coach for the Bills.  The old timers liked Saban, the middle aged guys was Levy, and the youngins McD, but Knox was the guy that turned our team around.  Had Ralph not had the ego problem as Knox was a stubborn guy, it could’ve worked out better.