My 2021 draft strategy

NewEra

I know it’s easier said that done and it takes two to tango, but I think trading down 2-3 times, maybe before we even make one selection, would yield us the best possible talent. I’d be willing to trade all of our draft picks to secure 5 picks in rd 2-3.   If we have to trade a 4-7th rd picks next year to accomplish that, so be it.  

Give me one player in each of the first 3 groups: 

IOL-  Wyatt Davis, creed Humphrey, teven Jenkins (i’d play him at guard and maybe eventually take over for Williams), Alex Leatherwood, Tre smith or Deonte Brown

Pass rusher- Jaelen Phillips, Joseph Ossai, Patrick Jones,  Carlos Basham, Jordan Smith, Ronnie Perkins (he’s on the smaller

side for our D, but I love the guy)

WR- Dwayne Eskeridge, Tylan Wallace, Dyami Brown, Elijah Moore, Demetric Felton, Rondale Moore, maybe terrace Marshal/Amari Rodgers 

pick 2 more, BPA

DT- Alim McNeil, Jay tufele, Tyler shelvin, 

TE-  Brevin Jordan, Pat freiermuth, Tommy tremble and maybe Hunter Long

CB- Ifeati Melifonwu, Greg Newsome, Tyson Campbell, Eric stokes, Kelvin Joseph.

RB- Javonte Williams, Kenneth Gainwell, Michael Carter, maybe Chubba

While not trying to be greedy and taking all probable 2nd rd picks, I’d be really happy with this:

Wyatt Davis 

Patrick Jones 

Dwayne Eskeridge

Tyler Shelvin

Kenneth Gainwell

Shelvin, Gainwell and Eskeridge could all be 3rd rd picks. Even Jones has a chance I suppose.  3 future trench starters and 2 big time playmakers.  

This draft has a bunch of quality players in positions of need (or needs in the near future).  Take advantage of it and trade down Beane!  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

I’d like to see us get one more top quality pass rusher in free agency first, but heck ya I think we should trade back at least once for a pick or two more this year.  Then Load up on secondary and offensive line with those picks. 

Edited by Mynamemike

4 minutes ago, Mynamemike said:

I’d like to see us get one more top quality pass rusher in free agency first, but heck ya I think we should trade back at least once for a pick or two more this year.  Then Load up on secondary and offensive line with those picks. 

Yeah....I’d love to land a quality pass rusher in FA, I’m just not sure we have enough cap room to make that happen now.  I think we may have to settle for a 1 year prove it/ring chaser deal with a vet, rather than the Lawsons and Hendricksons that we’d love.  

if we landed a pass rusher in FA, I’d probably stay away for one in the draft.  That would give us Hughes, FA pass rusher, Addison, epenesa and Bam.  Not much playing time left. Replace Patrick jones with Brevin Jordan :) bolster the O.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

Would love to snag the unc RB with the second pick and Wyatt Davis with the first or the best DE/DT

I love both UNC rbs.  Javonte is the better back imo, but Carter compliments Moss better imo.  I’d be happy with either.  I just love Gainwells explosion through the hole and to daylight 

• Like (+1) 1

What do you think our 2022 picks 4-7 will be worth in a move up?

Not much value there on the draft chart...

Given the uncertainty this year in the pre draft process and players opting out... this is probably the year when there is going to be some good candidates slipping to Day 3 

Edited by Aussie Joe

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

if we landed a pass rusher in FA, I’d probably stay away [from] one in the draft.  That would give us Hughes, FA pass rusher, Addison, epenesa and Bam.  Not much playing time left

But I dont want my rookies begging for time.  I want them to make me make hard decisions because they're too good to keep off the field.

(understanding that QB might be the arguable exception).

For this, I mean like the first 3 rounders should be playing asap, because they are just too good, because we drafted well.

10 hours ago, wppete said:

Great list!!!

I think we go DE and CB in the first 2 rounds. 

I'm on board with the emphasis on D.  I'm settling in to the idea the Bills should focus the first 3 picks on D.  Tampa showed how to beat KC, and the Bills can establish an elite D with a few more pieces.  My hope is they sign a good Edge rusher in FA, if it's financially feasible, so I would only go DE if the right person on their list fell.  My two strategies:

Without trading back.

30. S Moehrig   I think he is the kind of chess piece missing for McD, that hybrid big nickel.

61. CB  While D. Jackson might be an upgrade to Wallace, it's not certain.  You still want an upgrade in talent there.

93. DT   I want another run stuffer, and the guy I like is Togiai, though they may need to move up from 93 to get him.

The alternative is similar to @NewEra strategy, trade back into the 45ish range to pick up an additional pick in the 70s.

Pick 1: CB, someone like Newsome or Asante should be available here

61. S Nasirildeen also projected as that big nickel type

Pick 2 from trade   I'd get DT Togiai here.

93.  At this point, I'd go O and select someone like TE Tremble or C Meinerz.

Defense wins championships is not a cliche. Build an elite D.  Yes, the Bills could use another playmaker on O, but those playmakers didn't help against Tampa's D. In fact, the reason I'd go all in on D is because we have Allen, which makes our O as good as almost any.

• Like (+1) 2

I might do the opposite - trade up for Jaycee Horn.  @BillfromNYC might kill me but he’s the player I want.  Long arms, killer instinct and great ball skills.  Then use the rest of the picks on hybrid passrusher types and speed on offense.  Find a guard in the 6th round or as a UDFA.  The scouts and pro personnel guys really need to earn their salaries and justify the hype this offseason.

10 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

What do you think our 2022 picks 4-7 will be worth in a move up?

Not much value there on the draft chart...

Given the uncertainty this year in the pre draft process and players opting out... this is probably the year when there is going to be some good candidates slipping to Day 3 

Not sure what they are worth.  I’m not going into logistics, it’s just a foundation for a strategy.  Trade down a couple times and then trade up to take advantage of the talent in rd 2-3.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, TPS said:

I'm on board with the emphasis on D.  I'm settling in to the idea the Bills should focus the first 3 picks on D.  Tampa showed how to beat KC, and the Bills can establish an elite D with a few more pieces.  My hope is they sign a good Edge rusher in FA, if it's financially feasible, so I would only go DE if the right person on their list fell.  My two strategies:

Without trading back.

30. S Moehrig   I think he is the kind of chess piece missing for McD, that hybrid big nickel.

61. CB  While D. Jackson might be an upgrade to Wallace, it's not certain.  You still want an upgrade in talent there.

93. DT   I want another run stuffer, and the guy I like is Togiai, though they may need to move up from 93 to get him.

The alternative is similar to @NewEra strategy, trade back into the 45ish range to pick up an additional pick in the 70s.

Pick 1: CB, someone like Newsome or Asante should be available here

61. S Nasirildeen also projected as that big nickel type

Pick 2 from trade   I'd get DT Togiai here.

93.  At this point, I'd go O and select someone like TE Tremble or C Meinerz.

Defense wins championships is not a cliche. Build an elite D.  Yes, the Bills could use another playmaker on O, but those playmakers didn't help against Tampa's D. In fact, the reason I'd go all in on D is because we have Allen, which makes our O as good as almost any.

Tampa showed that they got extremely lucky that the chiefs had 5 backup offensive lineman starting in the super bowl.

can you imagine if we had started along the OL:  Ty Nsekhe, Boettger, Bates, Lonnie mcguder and Trey adams?  We’d have little to no chance to win.  Any team would have little chance to win....especially in the super bowl.  

The Bucs D was great, but I don’t feel that the blueprint to beating the chiefs is to build  an elite D.  Every team would love to guild an elite D.  Easier said than done.  How many “elite D’s” have we seen in the last 20 years? 6-7 maybe? How many teams have built an elite D while paying a QB big bucks?  None?  

The Bucs signed 14 players to 1 year ring chasing deals and played against 5 backup OL.  Imo, the Bucs showed us that they can dominate 5 backup OL.  Our D couldn’t touch Mahomes vs 4 backup OL.  I don’t feel as if we are a pass rusher, CB and run stiffer away.  Edmunds isn’t close to the same level as Devin white.  Milano isnt david.  None of our pass rushers are as good as Barrett and JPP. 

My point:  we won’t be holding the chiefs to 0 TDs.  Probably ever.  For the rest of Mahomes’ career, chiefs OL will likely be better than the OL that the Bucs faced.  Getting that kind of pressure on him all game will likely never be replicated again.  They are going to score....just like they put up 31 vs the niners elite d in the previous super bowl. (The 2019 niners D >>> the 2020 Bucs D).  Meanwhile, the chiefs middling defense dominated out offense two times last season.  If we were to be so lucky as to shutdown the chiefs O....we would still probably lose, because our offense isn’t good enough.  

He have work to do on both sides of the ball and building an elite D is easier said than done. Barrett, Vea, Suh, JPP, White and David aren’t walking through the doors anytime soon.  And KC won’t be walking through the door with 5 backup OL either.  I don’t feel that this years super bowl told us anything about how to beat the chiefs.....we’ll never see that chiefs team again.  

i LOVE Moehrig.  I think he’s a top 15-20 player in this draft and I’d be thrilled if we landed him.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

I know it’s easier said that done and it takes two to tango, but I think trading down 2-3 times, maybe before we even make one selection, would yield us the best possible talent. I’d be willing to trade all of our draft picks to secure 5 picks in rd 2-3.   If we have to trade a 4-7th rd picks next year to accomplish that, so be it.  

Give me one player in each of the first 3 groups: 

IOL-  Wyatt Davis, creed Humphrey, teven Jenkins (i’d play him at guard and maybe eventually take over for Williams), Alex Leatherwood, Tre smith or Deonte Brown

Pass rusher- Jaelen Phillips, Joseph Ossai, Patrick Jones,  Carlos Basham, Jordan Smith, Ronnie Perkins (he’s on the smaller

side for our D, but I love the guy)

WR- Dwayne Eskeridge, Tylan Wallace, Dyami Brown, Elijah Moore, Demetric Felton, Rondale Moore, maybe terrace Marshal/Amari Rodgers 

pick 2 more, BPA

DT- Alim McNeil, Jay tufele, Tyler shelvin, 

TE-  Brevin Jordan, Pat freiermuth, Tommy tremble and maybe Hunter Long

CB- Ifeati Melifonwu, Greg Newsome, Tyson Campbell, Eric stokes, Kelvin Joseph.

RB- Javonte Williams, Kenneth Gainwell, Michael Carter, maybe Chubba

While not trying to be greedy and taking all probable 2nd rd picks, I’d be really happy with this:

Wyatt Davis 

Patrick Jones 

Dwayne Eskeridge

Tyler Shelvin

Kenneth Gainwell

Shelvin, Gainwell and Eskeridge could all be 3rd rd picks. Even Jones has a chance I suppose.  3 future trench starters and 2 big time playmakers.  

This draft has a bunch of quality players in positions of need (or needs in the near future).  Take advantage of it and trade down Beane!  

It's always easy to find a tango partner if you're willing to let the other person take the lead.  i.e. you may not get 100 cents on the dollar, maybe you only take 90 to 95 cents back.  In the Bills situation 90 cents may be worth it.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I might do the opposite - trade up for Jaycee Horn.  @BillfromNYC might kill me but he’s the player I want.  Long arms, killer instinct and great ball skills.  Then use the rest of the picks on hybrid passrusher types and speed on offense.  Find a guard in the 6th round or as a UDFA.  The scouts and pro personnel guys really need to earn their salaries and justify the hype this offseason.

I love Horn.  I think he’s top 15ish.  Trading up will cost a grip.

I pray we don’t give up picks to trade up.  We need help on O too.  The chiefs are much better in every aspect offensively.  Better Pass catcher, OL, QB, RB and coaching.  If we don’t add any playmakers (I feel we need at least 2 more), our fate will likely be the same. A change is scheme will help, but will it be enough?  Idk

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

It's always easy to find a tango partner if you're willing to let the other person take the lead.  i.e. you may not get 100 cents on the dollar, maybe you only take 90 to 95 cents back.  In the Bills situation 90 cents may be worth it.

Ageed.  While we may not be able to acquire 5 picks in rd 2-3, 5 picks in rds 2-4 should be possible

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I love Horn.  I think he’s top 15ish.  Trading up will cost a grip.

I pray we don’t give up picks to trade up.  We need help on O too.  The chiefs are much better in every aspect offensively.  Better Pass catcher, OL, QB, RB and coaching.  If we don’t add any playmakers (I feel we need at least 2 more), our fate will likely be the same. A change is scheme will help, but will it be enough?  Idk

Ageed.  While we may not be able to acquire 5 picks in rd 2-3, 5 picks in rds 2-4 should be possible

Top 15 may be too steep for a move up but again this is the year to do it - they don’t have enough holes on the roster for a full slate of rookies and there will be teams trading down trying to acquire more cheap labor in a cap-crunched year.