Current Cap #'s

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So as of this am, Saturday April 10, we are closer to consensus about the Bills "cap" between OTC and Spotrac

OTC: $5.35M cap. 

Spotrac: $4.89M cap

I'm unable to resolve this discrepency.  Both of them, at this point, correctly capture Matakevich extension and Sanders void year.

Spotrac indicates 4 signings with no contract information:  Jamil Douglas, Marquel Lee, Forrest Lamp, and Efe Obada.

OTC has information for 2 of them: Jamil Douglas $995k cap hit, Marquel Lee $970k cap hit.  These contracts would push Jake Fromm ($870k salary) and Davis Webb ($850k salary) off of the top 51, resulting in a net cap decrease of $245k.

In other words, Spotrac should show $4.65M cap

I'm still looking for the $0.705M cap discrepancy, as well as for contract info on Obada and on Lamp. 

Anyone?

Because I'm probably a terminal geek, I actually pulled the Spotrac and OTC numbers over into a spreadsheet and looked for differences.

They have about a dozen small differences in the cap hits they report, including the Jamil Douglas/Marquel Lee contracts reported by OTC but not Spotrac, and the subsequent Fromm and Webb (or Bates) contracts included in the top 51 by Spotrac but pushed out of the top 51 on OTC.

The sum of these differences is $387,071 higher cap liabilities reported by OTC than Spotrac, the opposite direction of the $0.46M higher cap space reported by OTC.  In other words, after accounting for known discrepencies, the actual difference is $0.847.

One thing I did notice is that Spotrac still includes the bonuses (and perhaps guaranteed money) paid to players who are "pushed out" of the top 51, while OTC does not appear to do this. 

I'm not sure which is the correct procedure for the NFL.  If I sum those manually, it comes to $1.152M on Spotrac (again, not entirely sure what should or should not be included).   And of course, OTC could be including them but not indicating them in the top-51 bookkeeping.

But the bottom line is that the discrepancy (outside of Douglas/Lee) is the sum of a number of small differences, so I can't tell you which number is more accurate.

My best guess is at this point the Bills have $4.65M in cap remaining, less the difference between

-the cap hits Lamp and Obada once known

-the cap hits of the next two guys pushed out of the top 51 by their signings

51 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So as of this am, Saturday April 10, we are closer to consensus about the Bills "cap" between OTC and Spotrac

OTC: $5.35M cap. 

Spotrac: $4.89M cap

I'm unable to resolve this discrepency.  Both of them, at this point, correctly capture Matakevich extension and Sanders void year.

Anyone?

Hap, check the Dead Cap $s for both sites.  I seen a big difference there earlier in the year.

17 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Hap, check the Dead Cap $s for both sites.  I seen a big difference there earlier in the year.

Ooh, good catch, but still not quite adding up.  It's a difference of $1.51M (Spotrac higher), which if we subtract the $0.847 difference in cap liabilities (OTC higher), gives $0.66M difference with Spotrac higher.   The actual difference the two sites are reporting is $0.46M

Unfortunately if Spotrac itemizes the dead cap, I can't find it to compare with OTC (which does itemize)

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ooh, good catch, but still not quite adding up.  It's a difference of $1.51M (Spotrac higher), which if we subtract the $0.847 difference in cap liabilities (OTC higher), gives $0.66M difference with Spotrac higher.   The actual difference the two sites are reporting is $0.46M

Unfortunately if Spotrac itemizes the dead cap, I can't find it to compare with OTC (which does itemize)

Spotrac has a much more detailed Dead Cap list than Spotrac.

Scroll down to "2021 Dead Cap" list.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

19 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Spotrac has a much more detailed Dead Cap list than Spotrac.

Scroll down to "2021 Dead Cap" list.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

The main difference is Q. Jefferson, who Overthecap incorrectly had listed with 0 dead cap - an obvious mistake since their numbers didn't add up - and does not have on their dead contract list.

$1.5M right there.

OK, I'm satisfied we more or less understand the discrepencies.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The main difference is Q. Jefferson, who Overthecap incorrectly had listed with 0 dead cap - an obvious mistake since their numbers didn't add up - and does not have on their dead contract list.

$1.5M right there.

OK, I'm satisfied we more or less understand the discrepencies.

Yep.  It seems the big miss is Jefferson.  What OTC also seems to do with Dead Money is list only players with 100k or more.

Anyway revised best guess taking into account the missing $1.5M in dead cap from OTC:

Between $3.85M and $4.65M in cap remaining, less the difference between

-the cap hits Lamp and Obada once known

-the cap hits of the next two guys pushed out of the top 51 by their signings

For those who are keeping track

Figure $2M to sign rookies, that pretty much just leaves enough to sign Lamp and Obada, and, depending upon their cap hits, *maybe* one more vet-minimum type FA.

Anything else will require more restructuring.

• Thank you (+1) 1