Current Cap #'s

On 3/20/2021 at 7:49 AM, BuffaloRebound said:

Misleading lede.  Spotrac, while accurate, isn’t an official cap number for the Bills.  Claiming that the Bills don’t have enough cap room to process contracts which they’ve already agreed to is complete conjecture.  Garbage reporting.  

Pretty much so though Spotrac makes mistakes too.

On 3/20/2021 at 7:58 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What do you mean? They're either processed or not. He says they're not. You're saying he's wrong? 

Spotrac does not have "official" NFL numbers nor does OTC.

Trying to get the exact dollars from reading theirs sites is not going to get you the Official NFL totals.

I see mistakes all the time (albeit Spotrac is much more accurate than OTC in my findings).

Spotrac doesn't have the Void year (yet) on Sanders contract but OTC does.

Same with Tyler Matakevich.

OTC on the other hand doesn't even have Quinton Jefferson's (and a bunch of other Dead Cap) of $1.5M Dead Cap hit!

Spotrac has an $800k Dead Cap hit this year for Tyler Kroft (which I think is wrong).

These sites are for fan info only.

excerpt from Spotrac:

NFL SOURCES

Spotrac relies on these great sources for collecting thorough & accurate NFL news, contract data, and more.

Certified NFL Agents

Official Reports

Team Beat Reporters

Our data is our interpretation of these reports and in no way represents official data collected by the league. 

FWIW

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

$4,164,472
but who’s counting 🤷 

(for the top 51)

That's with Tre's restructure so we were broke broke before that. Lol. I figured they must have restructured someone. I still think Diggs will get an extension clearing up another $6-7 million. 

So we have room to add a Ertz or a veteran CB at some point. Maybe after the draft. 

On 3/25/2021 at 10:56 AM, ALF said:

spotrac has the Bills at $4.1M so far,  with all the signings Beane is amazing

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That's with Tre's restructure so we were broke broke before that. Lol. I figured they must have restructured someone. I still think Diggs will get an extension clearing up another $6-7 million. 

So we have room to add a Ertz or a veteran CB at some point. Maybe after the draft. 

Just a note that as of right now, Spotrac does not correctly reflect:

1) Sanders reported void year, which reduces his cap hit by 1.375M this season

2) Matakevich reported extension, which clears $0.75M of cap space this season

3) There are a number of roster bonuses that were due and could have been renegotiated as signing bonuses and amortized but not yet reflected on Spotrac.  Klein, in particular, is signed through 2022 and was due $1.8M, so the Bills could have saved $0.9M by converting that to signing bonus, especially given their penchant for retaining vet leadership in each room and his reputation as "Coach Klein".

So, prior to Tre's restructure, we were reported as being something like $3M over the cap, while at least $2M of moves to reduce that weren't being captured.  There could easily have been another $1M reduction somewhere without Tre's restructure.

Spotrac currently doesn't currently include Efe Obada (reported as "up to" $2.2M), Matt Breida ($990 for a 5 year player), or Isaiah McKenzie ($1.15M) moves.  All 3 of them will push a guy making $0.815-0.82M down the roster, meaning they will cost the bills all together no more than $1.89 in cap.

Altogether even adding these guys in, we have at least $4.4M cap space currently, so enough to sign rookies and make a couple of other lower-cost moves without restructuring anyone else.

I could be wrong, but I would expect the Bills would try to get Allen's contract set before they work on Diggs, and I would expect Diggs would be OK with that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just a note that as of right now, Spotrac does not correctly reflect:

1) Sanders reported void year, which reduces his cap hit by 1.375M this season

2) Matakevich reported extension, which clears $0.75M of cap space this season

3) There are a number of roster bonuses that were due and could have been renegotiated as signing bonuses and amortized but not yet reflected on Spotrac.  Klein, in particular, is signed through 2022 and was due $1.8M, so the Bills could have saved $0.9M by converting that to signing bonus, especially given their penchant for retaining vet leadership in each room and his reputation as "Coach Klein".

So, prior to Tre's restructure, we were reported as being something like $3M over the cap, while at least $2M of moves to reduce that weren't being captured.  There could easily have been another $1M reduction somewhere without Tre's restructure.

Spotrac currently doesn't currently include Efe Obada (reported as "up to" $2.2M), Matt Breida ($990 for a 5 year player), or Isaiah McKenzie ($1.15M) moves.  All 3 of them will push a guy making $0.815-0.82M down the roster, meaning they will cost the bills all together no more than $1.89 in cap.

Altogether even adding these guys in, we have at least $4.4M cap space currently, so enough to sign rookies and make a couple of other lower-cost moves without restructuring anyone else.

I could be wrong, but I would expect the Bills would try to get Allen's contract set before they work on Diggs, and I would expect Diggs would be OK with that. 

And we don't have to sign rookies for a long time. Not really sure if I'm correct but I don't think they count against the cap until signed. 

56 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

And we don't have to sign rookies for a long time. Not really sure if I'm correct but I don't think they count against the cap until signed. 

Yeah, I think we discussed before.

It's my understanding the NFL requires a team to keep aside a "rookie cap" that is enough to sign the rookies at their draft slot, but which is far less than the total value of the rookie contracts.  So for the Bills it's a number somewhere between $2.24M (estimate from Greg of Cover1) - $1.5M (estimate someone came up with on this site, and supported with numbers).    But I can't find clear instruction on whether that's required to be kept aside from the League New Year, or just as of the draft (I don't think it's allowed to use it up between draft and signing, that potentially wouldn't be fair to a draftee)

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, I think we discussed before.

It's my understanding the NFL requires a team to keep aside a "rookie cap" that is enough to sign the rookies at their draft slot, but which is far less than the total value of the rookie contracts.  So for the Bills it's a number somewhere between $2.24M (estimate from Greg of Cover1) - $1.5M (estimate someone came up with on this site, and supported with numbers).    But I can't find clear instruction on whether that's required to be kept aside from the League New Year, or just as of the draft (I don't think it's allowed to use it up between draft and signing, that potentially wouldn't be fair to a draftee)

Hap, I was the one stating approximately $1.5M as the eventual true cost of the rookies signing.

One thing I didn't put in my breakdown was the 1st year residual signing bonus for the lower pick the get consumed

by the Top 51.  That brings it up about 200K.

Greg of Cover 1 brings up something I can't fine either but I'm suspecting is true.  It seems to be a merger of a couple of different

rules governing cap space needed on draft day.

The numbers seems to be the following:

A 660k (Rookie minimum salary) cap space for all draft pick above the Top 51 rule + the residual signing bonus cap hit for all those below the Top 51.

When I add that up in comes very close to his numbers.

FWIW

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

I’m hoping and expecting Addison to be a post 6/1 cut depending how the draft falls. That would save $5.3 million. 

Hughes, Epenesa, Obada, 1st or 2nd round rookie, and Johnson is fine with me. 

I don’t think they would ask him to take a pay cut.....and then cut him post June 1. It would be a really bad look for the FO doing that to a vet.  

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think they would ask him to take a pay cut.....and then cut him post June 1. It would be a really bad look for the FO doing that to a vet.  

In addition, players being asked to take a cut are usually given something in exchange.  For example, per Overthecap:

"Morse agreed to a $2 million pay cut in 2021. As part of the new contract he received a $2.85 million guarantee on his 2021 salary."

They report Addison as just agreeing to a $2M pay cut in exchange for having 2022 voided, but he also is shown as having $2.75M of guaranteed salary that wasn't there before AFAIK.  So it appears that Addison, too, was given more guaranteed money in exchange for the cut.  He was also due a $1.5M roster bonus which has been paid.  

He would now cost the Bills $6.75M in dead money to cut, and only save $1.45M.

Would NOT make sense.

13 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

I’m hoping and expecting Addison to be a post 6/1 cut depending how the draft falls. That would save $5.3 million.

Incorrect, see above

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In addition, players being asked to take a cut are usually given something in exchange.  For example, per Overthecap:

"Morse agreed to a $2 million pay cut in 2021. As part of the new contract he received a $2.85 million guarantee on his 2021 salary."

They report Addison as just agreeing to a $2M pay cut in exchange for having 2022 voided, but he also is shown as having $2.75M of guaranteed salary that wasn't there before AFAIK.  So it appears that Addison, too, was given more guaranteed money in exchange for the cut.  He was also due a $1.5M roster bonus which has been paid.  

He would now cost the Bills $6.75M in dead money to cut, and only save $1.45M.

Would NOT make sense.

Incorrect, see above

I guess spotrac is incorrect. I assumed since 2022 wasn’t there that it has been correctly updated. 

1 hour ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

I guess spotrac is incorrect. I assumed since 2022 wasn’t there that it has been correctly updated. 

Spotrac had Sanders Void Year incorrectly captured for a long time while OTC had it right.

I like to compare OTC and Spotrac because sometimes one is faster than the other to gather the information and sometimes one or the other just has a mistake (OTC was incorrect about Quinton Jefferson's dead money)

So as of this am, Saturday April 10, we are closer to consensus about the Bills "cap" between OTC and Spotrac

OTC: $5.35M cap. 

Spotrac: $4.89M cap

I'm unable to resolve this discrepency.  Both of them, at this point, correctly capture Matakevich extension and Sanders void year.

Spotrac indicates 4 signings with no contract information:  Jamil Douglas, Marquel Lee, Forrest Lamp, and Efe Obada.

OTC has information for 2 of them: Jamil Douglas $995k cap hit, Marquel Lee $970k cap hit.  These contracts would push Jake Fromm ($870k salary) and Davis Webb ($850k salary) off of the top 51, resulting in a net cap decrease of $245k.

In other words, Spotrac should show $4.65M cap

I'm still looking for the $0.705M cap discrepancy, as well as for contract info on Obada and on Lamp. 

Anyone?