Current Cap #'s

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Perhaps there’s restructures/extensions that have yet to be announced but are official. Pretty sure the Bills announced all their moves so far.  

This seems right. They aren’t going to go into free agency with zero flexibility. I am sure they have some agreements in principle to shift around some money. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This seems right. They aren’t going to go into free agency with zero flexibility. I am sure they have some agreements in principle to shift around some money. 

I agree with you. Beane and McD seem too savvy not to have ANY flexibility.

That said, if there’s any year where they’re going to struggle with flexibility, it’s definitely this year since the cap went down.

Just putting this here from Cover1: Greg isn't suggesting any or all of these moves, the point is that there are ways that Beane can wriggle around and create space under the current tight cap IF he decides it's in the Bills interest to do so

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That seems to be what most are saying. Add in Lee Smith. So approximately $10 million. Subtract the draft and we sit around $5 million. 

But they have no punter, so subtract at least $1 million. Long story short, there has to be more moves with the current roster coming. I'm 99% sure a Diggs extension is coming. 

I wonder if the Bills wait until after the draft to dive into free agency. Tender Wallace, Boettger, and sign Bojo long-term. That eats up the rest of the cap. 

I don't think we need to allocate $5M for rookie draft cap while we're drafting at #30

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Not broke, but getting close to pulling out the credit card. Still think they need to bring back Mckensie,  Wallace (4-6m) and make a decision with Barkley (say 2m). Also Boroquez (say 3m). Then 3-5m for the draft. Have to keep something in the back pocket in case something happens in season. So, couple of our own, then draft the rest. Just my thoughts, But that's why I am here and not a GM..

Erm....only the 5 very best punters in the league are earning more than $3M/yr.  Do you class Bojo as one of the league's 5 best?

I'm not there yet.  And "Laces Out, Bojo!".

Though, I was surprised that our punting and kicking return game graded as high as it did per link provided by @Inigo Montoya

So perhaps I would be surprised to learn that Bojo is better than I think.

Points in Bojo's favor:

-Leading the league in average punt distance with 50.5

-Decently high in net punt distance with 44 yds

-less than half of his punts returned

Per Talbot, who sometimes knows something:

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

What it will ultimately come down to in Top 51 Cap hit is less than $2M.

Agree but to my understanding, the NFL requires a rookie salary pool of a certain value based upon draft position to be set aside from the salary cap as of the First day of the league new year.   I could be mistaken though.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agree but to my understanding, the NFL requires a rookie salary pool of a certain value to be set aside from the salary cap as of the first day of the league new year.

I could be mistaken though - I often am about the more esoteric points of capology.

Nowadays teams are only required to be in compliance with the top 51 Cap Rules.

Sites like Spotrac and OTC show the total cost of picks but it's not an NFL thing.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Nowadays teams are only required to be in compliance with the top 51 Cap Rules.

Sites like Spotrac and OTC show the total cost of picks but it's not an NFL thing.

I think we're talking about different things.

I agree, the total cost of picks isn't an NFL thing.  But the NFL requiring teams to keep cap money to sign their rookies, as far as I know, is a thing.

Overthecap has some stuff about it:

https://overthecap.com/explaining-the-nfl-rookie-pool-and-its-impact-on-the-salary-cap/

As far as I know the number isn't publicized, but he gives a rule-of-thumb how to estimate  the "effective rookie pool" which takes into account that rookies may displace other players from the 51 and that the average salary on a 4 yr contract isn't what actually counts against the cap.

• Like (+1) 1

I'll "show my work" about the Bills Draft Pick cost concerning the Top 51 Cap is as follows:

Every pick that is signed "displaces" a current player already being counted against the cap.

Currently those players are making at least $780,000.

Round 1, Pick #30--------$2,021,038  minus $780,000 equals $1,241,038

Round 2, Pick #61--------$1,000,327  minus $780,000 equals $220,327

Round 3, Pick #93--------$865,515  minus $780,000 equals $85,515

Round 5, Pick #161--------$734,059 will not count

Round 5, Pick #174--------$724,218  will not count

Round 6, Pick #211--------$696,650  will not count

Projected Draft Pool:        $6,041,807

Top 51 resulting cap hit:  $1,546,880.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Erm....only the 5 very best punters in the league are earning more than $3M/yr.  Do you class Bojo as one of the league's 5 best?

I'm not there yet.  And "Laces Out, Bojo!".

Though, I was surprised that our punting and kicking return game graded as high as it did per link provided by @Inigo Montoya

So perhaps I would be surprised to learn that Bojo is better than I think.

Points in Bojo's favor:

-Leading the league in average punt distance with 50.5

-Decently high in net punt distance with 44 yds

-less than half of his punts returned

Per Talbot, who sometimes knows something:

Agree but to my understanding, the NFL requires a rookie salary pool of a certain value based upon draft position to be set aside from the salary cap as of the First day of the league new year.   I could be mistaken though.

I was just using a round number, but 2.9 would be tied for 5th last I looked. But, 2.75 would be a good number in my opinion and would probably seal the deal. 2.5 would be my real thought, but may not get it done. in the scheme of things, why hagle over 250k.. obviously all depends on the actual details..🤔

On 3/12/2021 at 4:56 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Do we have the numbers on the Butler and Addison pay cuts yet?

Addison 1.99 million and Butler 2 millon

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That seems to be what most are saying. Add in Lee Smith. So approximately $10 million. Subtract the draft and we sit around $5 million. 

But they have no punter, so subtract at least $1 million. Long story short, there has to be more moves with the current roster coming. I'm 99% sure a Diggs extension is coming. 

I wonder if the Bills wait until after the draft to dive into free agency. Tender Wallace, Boettger, and sign Bojo long-term. That eats up the rest of the cap. 

Based on our draft position it likely will only cost about $3 million to sign our picks

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, HOUSE said:

WE ARE BROKE

image.png.e770c4a19c5de128114ca4f0420c26c3.png

Love your posts house

2 hours ago, Mark92 said:

Don't rule out a trade.  1st rounder for a DE?  Then use rounds 2-3 to address CB and OL.  

They would have to be transfer younger guys still on rookie contracts for all guys not being paid much money because we would have to take on that contract and give up the pic that’s why I’m not a fan of trades right now unless it is for a young guy with a lot of promise