Addison takes pay cut

I was not impressed with Addison's performance overall in his first year here,  but I am impressed with this move on his part.    The fact that so many veterans are willing to take cuts shows that the culture has changed here and gives me more hope for the next few years. 

Edited by dgrochester55

7 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

This worries me. Makes me believe Bills won’t go big on a DE in free agency which we desperately need in order to even touch the chiefs.

Exactly. Remember when! The Chiefs game must not be forgotten! That is the basis on what we build!

3 hours ago, Moonzoo said:

With respect to TE, what about Sweeney?  He looked promising in his rookie year, IIRC.  Should he be part of the conversation, or is he too iffy?

he seems like his ceiling is a slightly above average player.  who knows what his progress was like last year not being around the team.  im certainly not planning my SB run around the guy, but doesnt mean we cant keep him in the fold and see how he progresses.  After the last 24hrs, im really hoping Beane makes a move for Pitts.  imagine a Waller type of TE in this offense.  KC had kelce, tb had gronk, and the SB was a tight end showdown the first half.

The amount of restructures around the league seems to be at an all time high with the cap going. 

Are these players losing money or just kicking the can in most cases? If they are losing money, I’m sure some GMs are loving this off year where they can punish players for under performing. 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Made more sense to just cut him outright.... unless Beane has something up his sleeve to some how get a stud pass rusher in FA with limited cap space.

Addison is old and average at best. Bad contract altogether. 

Agree, $2 mil paycut is meh for me.  Would have been better off cutting them and finding a good deal on the open market.  If there's any year to get cheaper deals, this is the one

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

Addison is over 30 so is Hughes.  Plus the Bills weren't that good at rushing the passer.  

Bills are actually young at CB unless you're talking about Safety with Hyde and Poyer.

CB is a need.  I'm hoping they sign one who will start opposite White.

I could see them believing the return of Star, a year of cohesiveness and the development of Epenesa is going to upgrade the DL... but I’m certainly in the camp that’s going to see it to believe it.  (Although I do think they’ll be better)

Agreed on CB2.  Even if they believe Dane Jackson is the guy, we have nothing else on the outside.  

$2M each for Butler and Addison.  I see it this way, they took the pay cut to "hopefully" make the team.

It seems that neither were given any additional guarantee that they ultimately make the team this year.

If a D-Lineman in FA is a better fit I think Beane will do what he has to!

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Made more sense to just cut him outright.... unless Beane has something up his sleeve to some how get a stud pass rusher in FA with limited cap space.

Addison is old and average at best. Bad contract altogether. 

Yea, I'd rather have the money. Oh well. Him at this new price is better than him at his old price.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I personally am starting to look to the second tier of DE in the draft:

Oweh, Tryon, Basham, Perkins, Odeyingbo. etc.

This is where I'm at too...I don't think an edge rusher that's actually worth pick #30 will be available. But the good news is I think there's a lot of depth and value in Rounds 2-3.

I like the guys you listed plus Quincy Roche (Miami), Victor Dimukeje (Duke), and Jordan Smith (UAB) are three other prospects I love. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea, I'd rather have the money. Oh well. Him at this new price is better than him at his old price.

Yeah but c'mon..........he was an OBVIOUS cut..........I just assumed they were waiting because his roster bonus wasn't due until March 22.

They could have gotten bigger, better and younger(or at least 2 of the 3) with that money.

$5M in cap space is enough to get a STUD player in year one of long term deal.

Worst moves so far:

1) Not cutting Addison

2) Signing Milano......the deal required $8M in cap space year 1.......a very high #........because he's too injury prone to stretch the deal.

3) Not cutting Morse........this one is more debatable but considering the concussions and limitations in the run game I was ready to turn the page.

4) Not cutting Butler........I understood why they kept him.......he took one for the team more than anyone last year.........but if they weren't going to cut Addison then he had to go.......just deferring money for he, Addison and Morse was not good.  Some folks don't realize that the unguaranteed money they make this year takes a chunk out of the future cap flexibility as well.   Need big years from those 3 to justify those deals in this market.......in which case they then lose the cap space next year from those pay cuts.:lol:

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

I think this allows more playing time for AJ and get him ready to fully take over next year. Kind of a backup plan for this year without spending a lot on a FA. Plus allows them to bring in a rookie and add to the rotation for a year. Doesn't it take a year or two for a DE? Well at least for someone where we have been picking in the draft for the last few years. It's not like we had a chance at the "generational" talent ones... I do think if they didn't re-sign Milano they would have gone after one of the FA's this year though and cut Addison..

25 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We have to remember how McDermott deploys his DL. He uses them in waves, heavy rotation. Cutting Addison and Butler to sign a better pass rusher makes sense to us but maybe he likes having 2 average players over 1 above average player? I don't know. 

In that case they still would have had 8 DL with a lot of NFL experience under contract (plus Mike Love who they like and has some).  

They have the highest paid personnel department in the league behind Beane..........they should be able to fill in the blanks from there and still be able to rotate heavily.