Addison takes pay cut

1 hour ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

I'm trying to figure out why Smoke didn't even get a phone call about a pay cut?

My guess is because wideout may be our strongest position group and of all the cap-heavy guys, he was the most expendable.  

Still I'm sad to see him go.  When you have a good QB, it would be fun to see the team stockpile talented receivers.  

But we have bigger needs elsewhere.  

31 minutes ago, Process said:

Butler, Jefferson and Addison really just needed to be let go. McDermotts plan to use a heavy rotation of a bunch of average at best DLineman is not a good one. 

Really hope this doesn't stop us from using a high draft pick on a pass rusher, or signing one. 

I don't know that we can really judge the effectiveness of these players without Star in the lineup tying up blockers.  For now, Beane is eliminating roster holes so that he can be fluid in the draft.  He can then focus on best player available, rather than having to reach for a position of need.

57 minutes ago, Process said:

Butler, Jefferson and Addison really just needed to be let go. McDermotts plan to use a heavy rotation of a bunch of average at best DLineman is not a good one. 

Really hope this doesn't stop us from using a high draft pick on a pass rusher, or signing one. 

Jefferson is gone and Murphy won’t be resigned. I think pick 30 most likely is being spent on a pass rusher.

4 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Beane and the players are stepping up there game and commitment to the team / process, we got a damn good group up in Buffalo. 

This is incredible in a good way. Players now are willing to take a pay cut to stay in Buffalo. The process is strong. You wouldn't have seen this 5-10 years ago. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Awesome! 

I don't understand the Addison hate on here. He's not elite but he's very good and we're not paying him elite $  

And he's a great teammate. Always vibing with guys in locker room , brings energy and leadership.  

I'd still love a Carl Lawson but I'm content with our current group. Wouldn't mind drafting an edge in first 3 rounds.

Hoping AJ and Johnson make a jump. 

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This is incredible in a good way. Players now are willing to take a pay cut to stay in Buffalo. The process is strong. You wouldn't have seen this 5-10 years ago. 

I was literally just thinking this! 

I would envy teams that had a culture like this.  

It's such an amazing turn around and besides Hughes and Reid Ferguson,  nobody else was a Bill prior to 2017. Incredible!!

2 hours ago, ColeB said:

The Bills seem to be taking it step by step.  Ex: find out what it takes to sign Williams and then get players to restructure to free up the money.  Hopefully Feliciano is next.

Man , if Ford can take a big jump n reach his potential,  this can be a scary good OL and I agree on Mongo. His versatility to play C at a high level as well is very important.  

Edited by JerseyBills

2 hours ago, Process said:

I think a DE in the 1st or 2nd round will happen.

5 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

How much of a pay cut ? 
And does that REALLY means that he’ll be on the roaster week one ? 

3 hours ago, ColeB said:

The Bills seem to be taking it step by step.  Ex: find out what it takes to sign Williams and then get players to restructure to free up the money.  Hopefully Feliciano is next.

I wouldn’t mind an upgrade over Feliciano at LG , we could probably draft one on day two 

2 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

Addison led the team is sacks.  He was fine.  Butler was a bit misused with Star opting out

I’m with you Addison is the one out of the 3 that I hoped they’d keep , 

8 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

I think a DE in the 1st or 2nd round will happen.

I don’t see it.  We have a lot of youth on the D-Line.  Oliver was a 1st rounder in 2019 and Epenesa was a 2nd rounder last year.  We need youth in the secondary.  A Defensive Back is my guess at pick 30.  At pick 61 my guess is a Guard/Center.  

5 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

This worries me. Makes me believe Bills won’t go big on a DE in free agency which we desperately need in order to even touch the chiefs.

respectfully disagree.  McD loves his DL rotation, best to not have unnecessary turnover WHILE adding a new piece.  I think he turns over every rock to add a premier pass rusher

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don’t see it.  We have a lot of youth on the D-Line.  Oliver was a 1st rounder in 2019 and Epenesa was a 2nd rounder last year.  We need youth in the secondary.  A Defensive Back is my guess at pick 30.  At pick 61 my guess is a Guard/Center.  

Addison is over 30 so is Hughes.  Plus the Bills weren't that good at rushing the passer.  

Bills are actually young at CB unless you're talking about Safety with Hyde and Poyer.

CB is a need.  I'm hoping they sign one who will start opposite White.

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

Thanks!  I thought it was $2M.  Maybe that's the amount he can re-earn but that's earmarked "unlikely to be achieved" so will count against next years!

51 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

respectfully disagree.  McD loves his DL rotation, best to not have unnecessary turnover WHILE adding a new piece.  I think he turns over every rock to add a premier pass rusher

From your lips to Beane's ears.  I believe he can do it, too.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Putin said:

How much of a pay cut ? 
And does that REALLY means that he’ll be on the roaster week one ? 

If you want a guy to take a pay cut, you typically gotta give him something to make it worth his while. 

In Morse's case, we now know what that was:

Morse agreed to a $3 million pay cut in 2021. As part of the new contract he received a $3.15 million guarantee on his 2021 salary.

So yeah, if we gave Addison guaranteed salary to add to his amortized signing bonus as dead money if cut, he's gonna be on the roster wk 1.

I wouldn’t mind an upgrade over Feliciano at LG , we could probably draft one on day two 

I don't think they see Feliciano as a LG.  I think they see Ford there.  RG now...

I would like to keep Feliciano AND draft a quality C/G.  But given the low level of OL play around the league and his ability to play both sides and center capably, I think there's a chance that someone is going to give him a good contract, and Beane is going to say "we would like to keep you but we can't match that."  So I hope at least we draft someone reasonably high because the thought of going into next season with Ford and Boettger at guard doesn't fill me with love.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Tortured Soul said:

Me, too.  But I think they cut DiMarco even after he took a pay cut last year, so there is still hope.

Would not be shocked if it happened with Addison either.  He had a few glimpses of his old production early in the year and fell off hard.  His overall number is way too high for what he put on tape.  I wouldn’t mind seeing him as a rotational guy, but I don’t want to see him as a starter.  It would be great if AJE steps up.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Doc said:

Morse is $3M.  No word on the other 2 but probably $2-3M apiece.

Yeah, that seems the likeliest guess.

At that level both sides can probably stay civil. Much more and feelings would be hurt, IMO.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1