Addison takes pay cut

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Hasn’t had more than 7 sacks in like 8 years. 

I dont give a *****, Andy.

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

See Dr, that’s a tough one. I know Hughes is a big leader but what the Pats were good at (besides just having Brady carry their team) is cutting bait at the right time.  $9 million for 4.5 sacks snd 4 tfls is really bad snd he has been steadily declining. 

you are going to make some tough decisions. Personally, I’d rather have his money free. 

Agreed, and Beane screwed the pooch last year by not releasing Murphy before his guarantee kicked in.

But I dont think now is the right time for Hughes. More so based on where the team is than the player. Unless they have a big time FA lined up.

Not saying Beane wont do anything there, but imo, I let the man keep his money.

2 minutes ago, BUFFALOTONE said:

Hughes is a weird case, always around the QB but hardly a disruption. Spare me the hurry stats, a guy making $10m a year has to change the game and he just doesn’t do that. 

You're 100% right. Hughes routinely wins off the ball but he lacks that finish. QB's just step up or sidestep his pressure. 

17 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Nah. Dude was slowing down in 2019. I never liked the signing and got flack for suggesting he was slowing down after the 2019 season. He’s lost a step. Should be cut, maybe he still will be if they find an upgrade in FA. Wish he never played for Carolina....

Yeah, but you are negative about pretty much everything, so how are we supposed to sift through the valid arguments and the needless negativity?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

There is nothing that insinuates that......Addison is a relief pitcher and is not being paid like one.  It is one less hole on the team.

I still think they address the DL

Yeah, I don't see why people think that because of this we are not going after D-Line help in free agency. 

To me this looks like we will sign a DE in free agency and Addison will now be depth.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, MJS said:

Addison could have a bounce back year. He was up around 10 sacks for 4 years in a row before coming to Buffalo and having 5. Maybe the coaches believe he can get back to that.

There were a lot of moving parts and new faces on the dline. Maybe with another year in the system and with Star coming back guys like Addison will improve.

Anyways, that's the hope. I'm hopeful that Epenesa makes some strides as well and becomes a bigger contributor.

He's a power guy who relies on strength and technique to rush. Power guys don't usually fall off like the speed rushers do.

You might be right about Addison.

2 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Yeah, I don't see why people think that because of this we are not going after D-Line help in free agency. 

To me this looks like we will sign a DE in free agency and Addison will now be depth.

Based on Watt-Watch coming down to the Cardinals and Bills, folks should expect that we ABSOLUTELY go after DL help in free agency.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Wow, that is great.  My guess is now we’re not going for a big FA Edge Rusher.  Maybe now in the draft #30 is compiled with other pics to get a partner to get Hughes for an excellent prospect.  BillsMafi, you’ve been on it lately.  Good job bud.  I think Yolo is a little jealous. 😂

we still have Epenesa and now Addison on one side. 

Beane, please, please please, lock up Jonnu Smith next.  If we lose a speed WR, let’s at least get a top level TE.  We can always draft a speed WR in a mid draft pick.  Even just a one trick pony like Ginn years ago, or Deshaun Jackson in the day.

If you can draft a "speed wr" why can't you draft a "top level TE"?

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Going into next season with the same DL + Star - Murphy - Jefferson isn’t a good thing imo.  We need to improve our pass rush.  Not stay the same or get worse.  

I love the moves we made, even retaining Butler and Addison, but we still need to add a pass rusher imo.  It doesn’t seem like we have much money left to spend and we still need a guard (unless boettger and Ford are the starters, ugh). 

Wholeheartedly agree here, but the biggest factor in improving the pass rush will almost certainly have to come through Oliver and Epanesa's development.

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Could we trade Edmunds for a 1st or 2nd rd pick and draft Nick Bolton?  I’d love to have Bolton and Milano as our LBs and Bolton would be cheap for 4 years.

Don't see this happening. I know a lot of people on here dislike Edmunds, but I think (just a gut feeling) -- for better or worse -- he's ours and will be for awhile. 

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

See Dr, that’s a tough one. I know Hughes is a big leader but what the Pats were good at (besides just having Brady carry their team) is cutting bait at the right time.  $9 million for 4.5 sacks snd 4 tfls is really bad snd he has been steadily declining. 

you are going to make some tough decisions. Personally, I’d rather have his money free. 

Pay him 8 mil push it to next years cap.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Based on Watt-Watch coming down to the Cardinals and Bills, folks should expect that we ABSOLUTELY go after DL help in free agency.

I am thinking differently.  I think they took a swing at Watt, missed and decided to go the draft route. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to grab a DE in FA, just don't see it happening with William's and Milano signings. At least I'd be REALLY surprised if they do..

Just now, LyndonvilleBill said:

I am thinking differently.  I think they took a swing at Watt, missed and decided to go the draft route. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to grab a DE in FA, just don't see it happening with William's and Milano signings. At least I'd be REALLY surprised if they do..

Eh, maybe. But if there is one thing I've learned, it's don't count Beane out of anything. And I'd be shocked if the only idea he had for DE was "Watt or draft pick".

7 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Wholeheartedly agree here, but the biggest factor in improving the pass rush will almost certainly have to come through Oliver and Epanesa's development.

Don't see this happening. I know a lot of people on here dislike Edmunds, but I think (just a gut feeling) -- for better or worse -- he's ours and will be for awhile. 

I hear ya. I know it’s VERY unlikely, but Its just a numbers game.  They can make it work for the next 2 years, but once Tre comes up for an extension....idk if it makes sense.  If we could trade Edmunds for a LB that is under control for 4 years making 1M a year, it makes sense.  Unlikely....but it makes sense.  

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Wow, that is great.  My guess is now we’re not going for a big FA Edge Rusher.  Maybe now in the draft #30 is compiled with other pics to get a partner to get Hughes for an excellent prospect.  BillsMafi, you’ve been on it lately.  Good job bud.  I think Yolo is a little jealous. 😂

we still have Epenesa and now Addison on one side. 

Beane, please, please please, lock up Jonnu Smith next.  If we lose a speed WR, let’s at least get a top level TE.  We can always draft a speed WR in a mid draft pick.  Even just a one trick pony like Ginn years ago, or Deshaun Jackson in the day.

I think the final FA move needs to be TE or Edge.  It's very hard to find a day 1 impact player at that position.  I have big hopes for Epensea and Knox, but I don't want to count on them.  

Draft more OL, 1 Tech, and speedster later in the draft (draft looks to have a ton available around rd. 4).  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I hear ya. I know it’s VERY unlikely, but Its just a numbers game.  They can make it work for the next 2 years, but once Tre comes up for an extension....idk if it makes sense.  If we could trade Edmunds for a LB that is under control for 4 years making 1M a year, it makes sense.  Unlikely....but it makes sense.  

Sure, long term it makes sense. But the focus needs to be on the next couple years. Tre is still as young as some of these rookies and now should know the defense inside and out. I'm all for making upgrades where we can, but switching out your defensive QB probably ain't it in my opinion.